What do you use linux for?

in my mind, offer anything that's not available on Windows.

Well, it wont offer Windows viruses/malware/trojans/rootkits/botnets, so I suppose you are partly right :laugh:

Linux seriusely san't be used for anything decent.

/me resists the urge to feed the troll...

Programming.

This ^^

I "use" it on my phone (maemo 5/N900)

I put use in quotes because really, I have no idea how to use it to anywhere near it's full potential, but most stuff is automated, and I can do some pretty cool stuff with it, so I'm a happy bunny :)

use it as a malware/storage medium when things are downloaded, taken off externals etc are passed onto my windows 7 desktop. Ubuntu 10.10 runs zippy on my old laptop,and gets used whenever i'm on campus networks/travelling or feel like playing chromium BSU :)

I use Linux in the following ways:

Desktop - Linux Mint 10 (only for fooling around)

Router: Tomato firmware

Phone: HTC Desire

Western Digital TV Live: B-rad WDLXTV firmware

Handbrake on Linux is better than the Windows version.

Please can you post some examples as to how it is better? I have Linux Mint on one of my desktops, will use it there if it is superior.

Currently I use it as a normal desktop, plus web design stuff (that includes both coding and graphics editing via Photoshop and Gimp).

How are you using Photoshop in Linux, through Wine? Which version of Photoshop is it and how is the performance?

I use Linux in the following ways:

Desktop - Linux Mint 10 (only for fooling around)

Router: Tomato firmware

Phone: HTC Desire

Western Digital TV Live: B-rad WDLXTV firmware

Please can you post some examples as to how it is better? I have Linux Mint on one of my desktops, will use it there if it is superior.

How are you using Photoshop in Linux, through Wine? Which version of Photoshop is it and how is the performance?

Yes, Wine. It's an older version I purchased a long time back, CS2. It suits my needs, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're using it for pro work.

I once used Linux for Desktop, HTTP, and File Usage.

Now I just use it for home routing purposes. (It never gets touched and I have hardly needed to ssh into it for over a year).

It's just as easy for my lifestyle to use a Windows based OS for http/file serving because when I need to make a change (eg: add hdd's, updates, users, etc).

Windows 7 for Desktop use because I use Windows OS's at work all day.

Yes, Wine. It's an older version I purchased a long time back, CS2. It suits my needs, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're using it for pro work.

Ok, thanks! I only use Photoshop for work once in a while. Rest of the time it is for personal use.

I use it at everywhere at work; desktop, laptop, servers (we're pretty much a Linux-based company). I tried using a Mac for the past couple of weeks, but I found all the little things I take for granted on Linux were missing (middle click copy/paste, sloppy focus, compiz :D, terminal that doesn't suck, SVR4 style utilities, etc) so I stuffed Ubuntu on it. Back to blissful Linux.

At home, I have a Mac laptop, but use Ubuntu 10.10 in VMware for personal dev stuff.

Oh, and my Android phone run's Linux. So does my router.

I use my desktop for development for KDE4 which runs Gentoo. I use my server for my website which still needs to be designed and it also stores my music and what not which is ran by Gentoo also. Then I have my laptop which I do for development and I take it where I need to go and know I will be there for a long time and that also uses Gentoo.

Mostly all I do on Linux is program and everything else.

Computer 1: a laptop: I use it for everything I normally use computers for except for games (PS3 works fine there!)

Computer 2: a desktop: I use it for television. My tv is plugged into my Linux box, my DVD player, and my PS3.

That's it! :D

I dual boot W7 and Ubuntu 10.10. I mainly use Linux for university assignments (programming etc), mainly because I prefer the environment for working. Also, no Steam = no distractions.

Mint 10 X64 Vmware 7.0

Linux seriusely san't be used for anything decent.

want a cheap media server .. WHS way to go.

want a gaming system Win 7 x64 way to go

Graphic works Adobe on Mac or Wins

Video Work = Macs

ok ok depending what you programming one mite do, depend if you use a linux box. I admit lang C is done better on linux, Python = linux too..

Cheap media Server? Ubuntu is free. Can't get any cheaper than that.

Gaming, Windows 7 is the way to go since linux doesn't have Direct X.

Graphics work = GIMP

Video Work = OpenShot

Audio = Audacity

Wanna troll harder next time?

I use linux for normal everyday computing use, plus its easier going to "fishy" websites.

I've got a linux server for torrents and PS3 media server to stream videos to my ps3

What do you use to do this? Whenever I stream videos to my ps3 I boot up into Windows for Tversity which now switching to PlayOn.

I have a 2nd hand computer running Debian as server in home. I deploy Java web applications on it (with GlassFish). Sometimes I download files with uTorrent Server too.