Google Chrome Hit 8.0

Honestly, my Chrome never auto-updates and never detects that an update even exists when I check for updates. It's kind of pathetic.

It's probably some form of configuration issue, you may need to just clear out all of your preference files and reset your config.

Hmm, next time I update it, I'll run AppZapper on it first to make sure everything is gone and try again. Thanks.

I tried that too, didn't work. However I recently ran cocktail, and to my surprise Chrome update itself. Give that a try, maybe it'll help.

Honestly, my Chrome never auto-updates and never detects that an update even exists when I check for updates. It's kind of pathetic.

I have the same problem with my Chrome (beta channel).

Same. Just sticks on 'Installing new version' then eventually gives me an error code.

I had this problem once and I finally figured out you have to have Google Update service running to get an update. For some reason I didn't have it.

Weird. I just opened Chrome yesterday and found that the version number was already the latest build... I didn't hit update and it didn't tell me it was updating, but the launch of the browser took 5 seconds longer than usual. I guess it might be updating itself discreetly sometimes? I don't think I have any Google services running on my system. A quick search through the activity monitor brings up only the Google Talk plugin.

Normally, Chrome silently installs the fancy Google Updater service under ~/Library/LaunchAgents...

There are also a few folders it creates that don't get deleted with AppZapper - just do a quick search for "Google" in ~/Library & /Library and delete everything that seems to be Updater related. Then relaunch Chrome :)

Interesting... I found a few things here and there, some things called "keystone" and a GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle.

I'll keep an eye out and see if I keep getting Chrome updated discreetly in the future. Thanks.

not sure about you mac guys, but I find that Chrome, for me, is an instant winner....dang, it's fast! Loving it! (waits for troll-herders....you guys know who you are. I'm sure this will be considered a troll response, seems pretty typical for neowin these days...)

not sure about you mac guys, but I find that Chrome, for me, is an instant winner....dang, it's fast! Loving it! (waits for troll-herders....you guys know who you are. I'm sure this will be considered a troll response, seems pretty typical for neowin these days...)

I dunno, that doesn't seem to tip anything on the troll meter over here. :unsure:

It's the interface that bothers me. It doesn't integrate with Mac OS X' build-in services (like Dictionary, Core Animation, Cover Flow etc.) at all. I like how fast it is, I just can't deal with its glitchy interface.

It's the interface that bothers me. It doesn't integrate with Mac OS X' build-in services (like Dictionary, Core Animation, Cover Flow etc.) at all. I like how fast it is, I just can't deal with its glitchy interface.

The dictionary feature is a known issue... I think it's even fixed in one of the newer Chromium builds. And if you compare Chrome with other OS X browsers, it really does a good job integration-wise.

The dictionary feature is a known issue... I think it's even fixed in one of the newer Chromium builds. And if you compare Chrome with other OS X browsers, it really does a good job integration-wise.

It's a know issue because Chrome doesn't use a standard Mac OS X interface. It relies on all sorts of custom coded crap like its PDF support, while Mac OS X has perfect PDF support out of the box.

I've moved over to Chrome as a default browser till a new Firefox beta arrives, silly flash issues, but I've always had Chrome installed in the background.

A few questions to anyone who is willing to help.

Is there anyway to get rid of the "other bookmarks" folder?

Any way to stop the downloads bar appearing, or just appear when downloading something?

In firefox my bookmarks toolbar would just have a nameless folder with all my bookmarks and I would move it next to the address bar, now I have found an extension to do that essentially, but its toolbar button, and any other extension toolbar button seems to have an interface problem of not always opening when i click and just looked "pressed", anyone else get this?

That is about it so far, everything else works great. :D

I've moved over to Chrome as a default browser till a new Firefox beta arrives, silly flash issues, but I've always had Chrome installed in the background.

A few questions to anyone who is willing to help.

Is there anyway to get rid of the "other bookmarks" folder?

Any way to stop the downloads bar appearing, or just appear when downloading something?

In firefox my bookmarks toolbar would just have a nameless folder with all my bookmarks and I would move it next to the address bar, now I have found an extension to do that essentially, but its toolbar button, and any other extension toolbar button seems to have an interface problem of not always opening when i click and just looked "pressed", anyone else get this?

That is about it so far, everything else works great. :D

No, there is no way to get rid of the 'Other Bookmarks' folder.

No, you need to live with the downloads bar.

I can't see I get the issue with toolbar buttons looking 'pressed' very often though.

Well, contrary to my previous post, I don't like having PDFs opening within the browser. Is there a way to disable that feature? I can't find an option in the preferences.

See if you can disable the built-in PDF viewer with "about:plugins". I haven't tried doing that myself yet. Might just download your PDFs after the disabling.

I can't believe I didn't switch from Firefox long ago. Just started using Chrome on OS X and it renders so much faster than Firefox. The extensions are quite good too, AdBlocker, PushToAndroid etc.