7zip for Windows 7

To give a practical example...I often test some Windows themes (the ones that require you to patch UxTheme).

They always are archives, so I open them in 7zip press Alt+1 in one pane to go to the Themes folder, and then drag'n'drop the theme from the archives in the Themes folder.

It's way faster than opening an Explorer window, going to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes, opening the zip, and moving the files. ;)

Ah, well I guess that is a good example as it's using one program window instead of two (7zip and Explorer). I try various themes myself but I usually just open them in 7zip Scenic, use the 1-click unzip which automatically open the folder in Explorer and open another tab (QTabbar) right to the Themes folder (I added it to my favorites list in Explorer) and drop it there. I'll add it to the list of possible features and see how it goes.

Awesome job, OP! The only question I have about it is whether or not it is better than WinRAR. At the moment I don't see a need for a second compression program even if it is better looking, but if people deem it better than WinRAR then I'll be tempted by it!

Thanks a lot! If you create a lot of .rar files then I would stick with WinRar. While the 7zip format compresses to a smaller file size, as does the zip format using 7zip's engine, the engine cannot create WinRar files. So the only real benefit over this and WinRar is the ability to create said .rar archives. Though you shouldn't have any problem opening the rar files with this.

Some other benefits of this compared to WinRar are the ability to create / open eComic formats (.cbr and .cbz) without having to rename the extension, 1-Click unzipping (a feature borrowed from WinZip as I really enjoyed that feature) and no more Nag window - remember WinRar is trialware not freeware.

I try to incorporate as much of the 'good' features in WinRar and Winzip as I can. I just noticed that WinRar has released a new version. I'll be looking at that to see if there are any features that will help make 7zip Scenic an easier program. And as always, if there are any features you'd like to see personally please feel free to request them. If they are feasible and something I think will help make 7zip Scenic better I'll definitely consider them.

Thank you for the unbiased response, Sranshaft! The main advantage for me would be that I could extract .RAR files, but if 7Zip doesn't support it, that's a bit of a shame. I doubt it would be possible to 'Frankenstein' it with 7Zip, but even so I really appreciate the quick response.

Thank you for the unbiased response, Sranshaft! The main advantage for me would be that I could extract .RAR files, but if 7Zip doesn't support it, that's a bit of a shame. I doubt it would be possible to 'Frankenstein' it with 7Zip, but even so I really appreciate the quick response.

On the contrary, 7zip CAN extract .rar files. The only limitation is that it can't compress to a .rar format. I have been looking into including Unrar for rar compression but looking at the file size advantages of using 7z format I was swayed. This is of course personal opinion and YMMV.

• Like 3

Because that is what it was built on and what is needed for some of the taskbar features: Jumplists, progress display in the taskbar, etc.

So they finally added a native way for those feature?

I used to build my appz with "Windows API Code Pack", are you telling me that this is finally native? If so gimme a linnnnnnnk!

So they finally added a native way for those feature?

I used to build my appz with "Windows API Code Pack", are you telling me that this is finally native? If so gimme a linnnnnnnk!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.shell.jumplist.aspx#Y3700

You need to add PresentationFramework to your references.

I'm still using the Windows API Code Pack for this but will be merging the 'native' 4.0 branch as soon as I'm finished with.

On the contrary, 7zip CAN extract .rar files. The only limitation is that it can't compress to a .rar format. I have been looking into including Unrar for rar compression but looking at the file size advantages of using 7z format I was swayed. This is of course personal opinion and YMMV.

That's great news then! It didn't 'click' with me that creating and extracting are two different things at the time. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. :p

I'll give it a go though and see how I like it. The one problem I had with WinRAR was that the interface never really felt interesting. While a compression program doesn't really need to feel or look interesting it's definitely in its favor at the same time if it can do so.

That's great news then! It didn't 'click' with me that creating and extracting are two different things at the time. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. :p

I'll give it a go though and see how I like it. The one problem I had with WinRAR was that the interface never really felt interesting. While a compression program doesn't really need to feel or look interesting it's definitely in its favor at the same time if it can do so.

Not a problem. I'd be interested in your impressions coming from WinRar. What needs to be improved. What you would like to see from WinRar incorporated into 7zip Scenic. That kind of stuff.

this app is great! just add explorer context menus and a nice popup display with taskbar progress and its set.

I'm looking into adding context menus for Explorer and hopefully that'll be available in the next major release. Can clarify what you mean by 'a nice popup display' please? Thank you for your compliment and I'm glad you like the program.

Im sorry however, I am NOT going to download an exe from someone's Drop Box

Exactly what I thought when I hovered over the link - why not link to the actual site

Looking good! Also for those not wanting to open the EXE, just try it in a virtual machine for now... I'm sure he will have a website or distribute it via a normal site once it is finished. Keep up the good work!

I'm looking into adding context menus for Explorer and hopefully that'll be available in the next major release. Can clarify what you mean by 'a nice popup display' please? Thank you for your compliment and I'm glad you like the program.

your program is tooo good an idea! cheers!

this is what i was trying to say before:

using the official 7zip, when you right click a file or group of files you can access the context menu to add the files to a .7z or .zip archive...this does not open the filemanager but instead brings up a smaller dialogue box with a progress bar, speed, size, etc

could you include this type of support from the explorer context menu but just as pretty and native win7 looking

post-63880-0-54534900-1301981562.png

ideally this separate window would support taskbar progress indicators like these:

Windows-7-Taskbar-Progress-Bar-2.png

Exactly what I thought when I hovered over the link - why not link to the actual site

What actual site? I am hosting via my Dropbox because it's easy to distribute my free program. The installer you download from there would be the same exact installer you would download if I hosted it on a website. If I was making money with this, I would surely go to the trouble of putting together a website but I'm not. I hope this explanation is satisfactory.

Are you using Fluent Ribbon for this?

No, I'm using the Ribbon control created by Devexpress. I first looked at the Fluent Ribbon but didn't like that it was locked to WPF. I've just found the component offered by Devexpress to be the easiest to develop with.

your program is tooo good an idea! cheers!

this is what i was trying to say before:

using the official 7zip, when you right click a file or group of files you can access the context menu to add the files to a .7z or .zip archive...this does not open the filemanager but instead brings up a smaller dialogue box with a progress bar, speed, size, etc

could you include this type of support from the explorer context menu but just as pretty and native win7 looking

Ah, sure. Once I get the context menu for Explorer sorted I'll definitely be using some stripped down dialog for the progress. In fact, most of that is already there. I hope to get that working as soon as possible and will hopefully be pushing an update this weekend.

Not a problem. I'd be interested in your impressions coming from WinRar. What needs to be improved. What you would like to see from WinRar incorporated into 7zip Scenic. That kind of stuff.

Well, in the short period of time I used 7zip Scenic, I liked it for a lot of different reasons. The interface, as you'd expect, was one of the main appeals of the program for me. It worked perfectly with what I needed. The interface puts all the main options at your fingertips, but never in a manner that leaves you uncertain what each option offers. Furthermore, the manner in which it handled content for me was one I found very positive: it's extremely useful for compressing documents and 'archiving' them, if that makes sense. It might seem like a random way to use the software, but I suppose that can only give a better overall idea of how well it handles!

Well, in the short period of time I used 7zip Scenic, I liked it for a lot of different reasons. The interface, as you'd expect, was one of the main appeals of the program for me. It worked perfectly with what I needed. The interface puts all the main options at your fingertips, but never in a manner that leaves you uncertain what each option offers. Furthermore, the manner in which it handled content for me was one I found very positive: it's extremely useful for compressing documents and 'archiving' them, if that makes sense. It might seem like a random way to use the software, but I suppose that can only give a better overall idea of how well it handles!

Thank you very much for your comments and I'm extremely happy you had such a positive experience with it.

is this a visual bug or by design?

can you make it so it matches the menu positioning of all other scenic ribbon apps

Unfortunately I don't have any control over that.

Unfortunately I don't have any control over that.

Any particular reason why? I am rather curious as to what technical reasons would restrict or prevent the fix of that.

Any particular reason why? I am rather curious as to what technical reasons would restrict or prevent the fix of that.

The creator of the particular Ribbon control I'm using doesn't expose that property to the developer. Having said that, I will look into it.