[Cricket] Australia whipped by the Poms!

England win by an innings and 71 runs, and take a priceless 1-0 lead with three Tests still to be played.

Swann had been identified as the man to spearhead England's push on the fifth day and he's done just that, finishing with 5 for 91 to bowl England to their 100th Test win over Australia. The hosts suffer the ignominy of their first innings defeat at home since their capitulation to the West Indies at Perth in 1993

My word, how the mighty have fallen! :huh:

Have you been watching the same match I have just been watching?

They were in the 2nd innings, and The first test match was a draw...

I wouldn't use the word "whipped" myself. But i'll give credit where it's due - England won the match.

Edit: Realised that England didn't bat again, my bad!

Edited by Raa

Hm, if we win again this time around that would mean two wins back to back. That would be nice.

They were in the 2nd innings, and the first test match was a draw...

I wouldn't use the word "whipped" myself. But i'll give credit where it's due - England won the match.

We beat the Australians by an innings and 73 runs, how often does that happen to the Australians on their own patch? England outplayed Australia in every single department. Brilliant batting, Brilliant fielding, and Brilliant bowling. Probably the best test performance I have ever seen England put in, proud of our boys :D

They were in the 2nd innings, and The first test match was a draw...

Edit: lol np.

They were in the 2nd innings, and the first test match was a draw...

When you lose by an innings and 71 runs it means you have been whipped! What it means when you loose by an innings, is that England still had an innings left to bat and simply put, when your opposition's one score is better than BOTH your knocks, you have had your arse kicked! You would perhaps know this if you have ever played the game or understand it!

Yep, an innings victory is pretty much a hammering. And it's the first innings defeat for Australia in Australia since 1993 so it kind of shows how far they've fallen.

Broad and Katich are out for the series now i think. Shahzad for Broad for next test?

I was surprised how quickly they got the last 5 wickets, meant i could have an early nights kip :)

Great result by the lads, the team is really working as a cohesive unit. Shame for Broad, i thought he might have been a star down under, at least it gives the other bowlers a chance to show they deserve a place in the 11. My moneys on Tremlett.

Yep, an innings victory is pretty much a hammering. And it's the first innings defeat for Australia in Australia since 1993 so it kind of shows how far they've fallen.

Broad and Katich are out for the series now i think. Shahzad for Broad for next test?

From what I have heard it's Liam Plunkett that has bowled the best on this tour so far from the reserves, but I believe the final assessment will be made after the next warmup match

looks like hughes will play, even though he isnt in form.i hope they drop north.

For the english i would think either tremeltt or shazard.

Also hauritz scored a hundred :p so he might be back in

Good. Aussie cricket has become too arrogant over the years.

nice clueless post :)

looks like hughes will play, even though he isnt in form.i hope they drop north.

For the english i would think either tremeltt or shazard.

Also hauritz scored a hundred :p so he might be back in

nice clueless post :)

Unfortunately the Aussie selectors seem to be going for a "horses-for-courses" selection policy at the moment and it's not really working!

I am a "Saffer" and as much as I love that our side beats the Australians, you have to always respect them! They have set the bar for so long now that a dip was bound to come at some stage or another!

They really need to drop North. I think the stat still stands: he has not made a hundred for Australia whenever he's come in at the score below 150. Almost Ian Bell-esque.

However, they might keep him because he's been used as a backup spinner. And sometimes bowled instead of the main spinner (Hauritz).

They really need to drop North. I think the stat still stands: he has not made a hundred for Australia whenever he's come in at the score below 150. Almost Ian Bell-esque.

However, they might keep him because he's been used as a backup spinner. And sometimes bowled instead of the main spinner (Hauritz).

cue steven smith.

Because of the dominance over the past what ever years aus failed to blood younger players(besides Clarke) and now they are paying the price. England now have their younger players(and south african players :p) coming through and on form will do well.

cue steven smith.

Because of the dominance over the past what ever years aus failed to blood younger players(besides Clarke) and now they are paying the price. England now have their younger players(and south african players :p) coming through and on form will do well.

Indeed. It's crazy that someone like Hussey debuted when he was 30. The selectors just didn't plan for the future by getting the older players to retire in stages rather than all at once. And now they don't seem to want to risk younger players even in the smaller series and keep picking the same failing players. As for Steve Smith, i'm not sure if the selectors think he's ready. Otherwise they surely would have picked him instead of Doherty.

I just hope that when the Indian middle order retire they don't follow the same route.

cue steven smith.

This is also what happens in England (in other sports as well). They keep playing the team they have without bringing in the younger ones.

I am rather surprised by the Australian selectors current choices for the third test, I get the slight feeling that they are getting a touch desperate.

Hilditch is a moron, who unfortunately had the luxury of not having to select players for 10 years and now suddenly as the chairman he has no idea =\

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised this thread hasn't been resurrected after Australia's dismal performance in Melbourne. Congratulations to England for retaining the Ashes over here. Never an easy task IMO.

Also like to say thanks to the poms for at least providing some watchable batting and bowling displays, you have been awesome. Now if the Aussies could concentrate more on being cricketers and less on being celebrities, we might be able to come up to par.

Hopefully this is the shock the team needed to get its arse into gear!! :laugh:

I'm really pleased with our performance, OK 3rd test was rather poor for us but overall I think we've played really well.

Well done to the Aussies, you put up a fair fight and destroyed us in the 3rd test.

Be interesting to see how the 5th test goes, will losing Ponting hurt?

I'm really pleased with our performance, OK 3rd test was rather poor for us but overall I think we've played really well.

Well done to the Aussies, you put up a fair fight and destroyed us in the 3rd test.

Be interesting to see how the 5th test goes, will losing Ponting hurt?

Can't be any worse! Probably should drop Pup as well, just made Haddin captain.

i'd agree with that!

Hopefulyl this is the wake up call to start rebuilding a new team.

Always remember my Dad saying it was easier to get into the team than to get dropped from it. Have to agree with him at this point! :shifty:

I wish this was shown here in the US, watched a game a few years ago and was really impressed how not boring it was compared to Baseball.