Flash Support?

Hi, having just bought an iPad I am a tad disappointed theres no Flash support in Safari. I knew this when I bought the device but thought little of it. Anyhow, to cut a long story short, will Apple EVER allow Flash into it's iOS browser? Cheers

apple strongly believes that flash is inevitably a dying technology and HTML5 is the way to go, so short answer is no, apple has no intention of doing so

It'd also depend on Adobe getting Flash to a state where it doesn't kill the performance.

thats not going to happen anytime soon, as flash just devours your cpu usage realmad.gif

thats not going to happen anytime soon, as flash just devours your cpu usage realmad.gif

yeah right, you probably still use FP 8. You don't say anything about w7 indexing/prefeching service killing the hdd, oh i forgot you have ssd and w7 stops them for you

Like they have on Android? :D

Yeah, I gotta say, a 10 minute flash movie draining 27% of my girlfriends HTC Desire battery is exactly what we want from Adobe... /s

I'd much rather see a HTML5 world where everything works properly on every platform. Open Standards > Closed Standards any day.

• 3 weeks later...

If you take into account a lot of flash on the web are either ads, videos or games. When it comes to games many won't work on the iPad because it is a touch based device. Much video is now available in a native format browsers like Safari can understand without needing a Flash plugin and this is called the native HTML5 format. Either way, Apple originally did not ship Flash because it used a crap load of CPU resources and battery life and they feel (which they've made clear at conferences and at the All Things D conference interview), that they think there are better, emerging technologies such as HTML5 that can replace a lot of what Flash is used for - videos definitely, ads definitely but it's uncertain about games though. Either way, to break it to you, don't get your hopes up for the forseeable future about Flash on the iPad - it won't be happening. Whether Apple is making the right decision by not having Flash on it's platform remains to be seen - but even YouTube is now available in HTML5 format - a lot of what you use Flash such as videos are available as Google has made YouTube content available in that format because a lot of mobiles devices such as the iPad don't have Flash (and also mentioning the included YouTube app). Either way, many Flash games wouldn't work as they require a physical keyboard and mouse...although some would work fine and it is sure annoying there is no Flash on the iPad.

I highly doubt that Apple will ever build in support for Flash on iOS. Mainly because of the numerous commands that can be executed within an object. For example, take Flash games which are designed for PC input, when the cursor is hovering, what would you do with touch gestures? I guess a few 'touch' based flash games could exist, but why wouldn't the developer try to make money via the App Store?

Either way, I'm surprised that so many people feel a need for the presence of Flash, yeah I may be browsing around on my iPhone and find a site that requires it, I'll just bookmark it and remember it for later when I'm at my PC. The only content that would require Flash that I use regularly is YouTube, and they have a dedicated iOS app and a HTML5 mobile site.

For example, take Flash games which are designed for PC input, when the cursor is hovering, what would you do with touch gestures?

You know honestly I'm tired of this answer. Any other touch screen device is applicable to the same thing (Microsoft based, Android Based, etc), yet runs flash fine. If anything, they can emulate a cursor for those games (and some do), or use a longer "press" to simulate a press, and a quick press simulates a hover. Really, it's not that hard to code around the lack of a mouse for hover.

yeah right, you probably still use FP 8. You don't say anything about w7 indexing/prefeching service killing the hdd, oh i forgot you have ssd and w7 stops them for you

you know, when anandtech tested the new macbook air they found that browsing the web with flash installed cut 20% of the battery life... says quite a lot about that crap eh...

you know, when anandtech tested the new macbook air they found that browsing the web with flash installed cut 20% of the battery life... says quite a lot about that crap eh...

Oh but thats an Apple problem rolleyes.gif (Thats what the PC Fanboy in me wishes to say). Mind you I try to avoid flash based sites like the plague, actually I can say I only really visit two sites that "require" flash, youtube and Rooster Teeth. Hell I'd rather visit a Silverlight based site then flash, at least with Silverlight my MacBook doesn't go down to a crawl for 720p content...

Oh but thats an Apple problem rolleyes.gif (Thats what the PC Fanboy in me wishes to say). Mind you I try to avoid flash based sites like the plague, actually I can say I only really visit two sites that "require" flash, youtube and Rooster Teeth. Hell I'd rather visit a Silverlight based site then flash, at least with Silverlight my MacBook doesn't go down to a crawl for 720p content...

Hehe yea, gotta love flashblock, the web seriously look very much the same without flash, say for the occasional video and on iOS it's not much of a problem for me, either the video is on youtube, blip.tv or gametrailers or something else that either support the iphone on their website or have an app.

Only problem is the occasional site that use flash for something completely retarded, like asus asking you to choose which countries website you want to go to, and in those cases you can either bypass it by a going to "uk.asus.com" or "asus.se" in the case of asus or just find the info elsewhere.

I have an Android device and while it is handy to have Flash on my phone it is definitely very awkward!

Yea, I've seen how it runs on most android phones, might just as well use Teamviewer/Logmein/VNC to connect to my home computer and browse whatever flash object if I ever had such a huge need to see it :p

The Skyfire app fulfills ~75% of your flash video needs.

funny, skyfire does videos, and that is the type of flash content that have got the best conversion to ios, youtube, blip.tv and most other major video sites support ios in one way or another

also, judging by the appstore reviews of the skyfire app, it doesnt do videos very well :p