WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis

Almost slipped my mind that this was on tomorrow night, ill be watching for sure :)

MAIN CARD

* Champ Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis - for lightweight title

* Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Scott Jorgensen - for bantamweight title

* Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki

* Bart Palaszewski vs. Kamal Shalorus

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Danny Downes vs. Tiequan Zhang

* Shane Roller vs. Jamie Varner

* Ivan Menjivar vs. Brad Pickett

* Ken Stone vs. Eddie Wineland

* Danny Castillo vs. Will Kerr

* Yuri Alcantara vs. Ricardo Lamas

* Renan Barao vs. Chris Cariaso

Pretty good fight card, expect one or two prelims to be bumped up to the main card.. The winner of Henderson/Pettis gets a UFC lightweight title shot..

All four co-headliners and title fighters made weight without incident.

WEC 53 features lightweight champ Ben Henderson (155 pounds) vs. Anthony Pettis (154.5) and bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz (134.5) vs. Scott Jorgensen (135) in the co-headliners. Henderson, though, voluntarily and immediately stripped and weighed in while standing behind a towel, which means he narrowly made the 155-pound limit for his title fight.

Tomorrow's show serves as the WEC's swan song; the fan-friendly organization mergers with its sister promotion, the UFC, in 2011. The Henderson vs. Pettis winner gets an immediate UFC title shot, and the Cruz vs. Jorgensen winner will be crowned the first-ever UFC bantamweight champ.

The official WEC 53 weigh-in results included:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Benson Henderson (155) vs. Anthony Pettis (154.5) - for lightweight title

* Champ Dominick Cruz (134.5) vs. Scott Jorgensen (135) - for bantamweight title

* Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Chris Horodecki (155)

* Bart Palaszewski (156) vs. Kamal Shalorus (156)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Danny Downes (154.5) vs. Tiequan Zhang (155.5)

* Shane Roller (155) vs. Jamie Varner (156)

* Ivan Menjivar (135) vs. Brad Pickett (136)

* Ken Stone (135) vs. Eddie Wineland (136)

* Danny Castillo (155.5) vs. Will Kerr (155)

* Yuri Alcantara (154.5) vs. Ricardo Lamas (156)

* Renan Barao (136) vs. Chris Cariaso (136)

WEC will be missed. It's a shame so many people ignored WEC and preferred UFC, even though WEC events in general were way better than anything UFC offered.

Great farewell to WEC, absolutely amazing fights as usual.

WEC will be missed. It's a shame so many people ignored WEC and preferred UFC, even though WEC events in general were way better than anything UFC offered.

Great farewell to WEC, absolutely amazing fights as usual.

100% true (Y)

While i enjoyed the WEC, it's a good move for everyone involved honestly. Yes, often the fights were more exciting, but even so it was hard for fighters to make a name for themselves and be a "star". This gives them that opportunity and it allows them to be paid much more than they were being paid in the WEC.

Anyway.. that Pettis kick was absolutely amazing, best kick in mma history.

Anyway.. that Pettis kick was absolutely amazing, best kick in mma history.

Gotta agree there! Credit to Henderson for taking it and then another knee to the chin just before the bell! Good chin indeed! Both will do well in the Lightweight division.

They did a replay last night on Versus at 11pm. I got to see it. That was a great fight. I think I prefer the replay. They cut all the crap out and just had the fights. lol