IDC: WP7 marketplace ramping up

How many have they sold?

It's the fact Microsoft have refused to declare any official figures is the worrying part, they proudly boosted Kinect sales and nothing from Microsoft's mobile boss on WP7, can't remember his name but he's got cool hair XD. What figures we do have suggest in the first weekend of sales (worldwide) less Windows Phone 7's devices were sold on all networks than the G1 sold when it launched only on T-Mobile two years ago. Others surveys suggest it has accounted for only 3% of phones sales in the UK in the last month.

Edit: Found some evidence for my G1 claim, the G1 sold around 100,000 units in it's first weekend. Meanwhile Windows Phone 7 sales totaled 40,000 for its first weekend day of sales, presuming the figure was roughly the same or a bit higher the G1 still comparably sold more despite the fact it was just one handset vs many and one network vs many.

• Like 1

It's the fact Microsoft have refused to declare any official figures is the worrying part, they proudly boosted Kinect sales and nothing from Microsoft's mobile boss on WP7, can't remember his name but he's got cool hair XD. What figures we do have suggest in the first weekend of sales (worldwide) less Windows Phone 7's devices were sold on all networks than the G1 sold when it launched only on T-Mobile two years ago. Others surveys suggest it has accounted for only 3% of phones sales in the UK in the last month.

Edit: Found some evidence for my G1 claim, the G1 sold around 100,000 units in it's first weekend. Meanwhile Windows Phone 7 sales totaled 40,000 for its first weekend day of sales, presuming the figure was roughly the same or a bit higher the G1 still comparably sold more despite the fact it was just one handset vs many and one network vs many.

So you don't know. Thought so.

MS bosts about kinect sales because it's only competition is Move and they've both released this year. MS doesn't want to give out WP7 handset numbers because regardless of how good they are or not they're not going to match iPhone and Android sales thus all the negative MS blogs and "tech news sites" are going to bang the WP7 is a flop drum. We'll get numbers when the quarter is over and MS reports it's sales to shareholders.

But seriously, how many of the ARE fart apps? (Or generally not useful)

Good to see it doing okay though, I guess.

I'd say less than a 1/5 are actually useful, and even then it's debatable which are good quality. Although most people can live with only 10-20 good apps, so as long as the right 10-20 are there, it's not really any matter of how many there are.

I wish developers could contact the reviewers in some way though @__@ I had an app, basically straight 5* reviews, people saying it's one of the best apps they've seen on Windows Phone 7, and then some random dude comes in and gives it a 1* review and leaves no feedback at all >.< Went from a 10/10 average to an 8.5 average in the US due to that one review :/ Annoying to say the least - I don't mind if they give it a bad review if they leave some sort of valid reason, but just leaving a 1* with no reasoning amongst a bunch of 5*'s is annoying :p

Anyway, I'd except nothing less than it growing faster than Android, if it wasn't I'd be kinda worried about it :p

They actually add some nice apps every day or so just check out WP7apps and browse the marketplace yourself. Of course you'll find multiple versions of the same type of app but that's natural for any marketplace out there. The key in this is that it's getting strong dev support from the get go and it shows in the speed of growth in apps.