UFC 129 - Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields

I'm headed out to Buffalo Wild Wings with the fellas to watch it now. Great friends and $2 Long Island Iced Teas FTW!!

Aldo vs Hominick stole the show imo this main event is a bit of a blow out...most of Twitter agrees as well a snorefest

Aldo vs Hominick stole the show imo this main event is a bit of a blow out...most of Twitter agrees as well a snorefest

also the main event is gonna go 5 rounds and it's going to be boring...

:yes:

I'm ****ing blown away by this **** man... so here goes

Things i've learned from this event:

Hominick = phenomenal heart, can't believe he came back like that for the last round after that injury.

Aldo... great fighter, but i still don't consider him top p4p.

Rory Macdonald = He is going to be a force in a few years, the jon jones of that division.

Couture = Sad to see him get KO'd, but if it had to be a KO it couldn't have been any better than that Crane Kick..lol

Machida = Daniel Son.. nuff said.

GSP = Love that he tried to get a KO with that overhand right, but if he is not careful its gonna get predictable REAAAALL fast!!! I think he's very nervous of having the matt serra episode happen all over again honestly. But to be honest, as boring as some people thought it was, people complained that all he did was lay on people, so he backed off of the wrestling and started dominating people in stand up and people still complain. He is possibly the greatest ALL ROUND fighter there ever was, but has a fear of losing everything from one punch, and rightfully so.

Shields = All i have to say about him is this:

Does anyone think of one of these when they watch jake shields standup?

image_php_565687.jpg

He's so stiff and just throws straight punches that don't do ****.. and he has the SLOWEST leg kicks i've ever seen...lol But all i think of is those boxing puppets..lol

Now to the main event... WTF IS WRONG WITH THE JUDGES??? Seriously, this issue needs to be fixed ASAP. How any judge, let alone 2 judges give it a 48-47 for GSP is ****ing insane. Shields did NOTHING the entire fight.. NOTHING. 2 judges 48-47, one judge 50-45.. UFC you have a problem!!!

^ they don't hire the judges. Those were hired by the Ontario gaming commission. UFC never ever has anything to do with judge selection.

Well, considering Shields ended up doing more damage than GSP.. I can't really see how you can claim his strikes don't do ****. He is about the stiffest striker I have seen though.

Don't hate on the judges, there did pretty good tonight. Shields won at least one round of the fight.

One of the best PPV's in a while, great fights all around, espically on the undercard.

Been waiting for Machida to pull that move for a while (KO of the night IMO)

^ they don't hire the judges. Those were hired by the Ontario gaming commission. UFC never ever has anything to do with judge selection.

Yeah i understand that, but its still a problem for the ufc. I'm just saying that something needs to be done, it's getting out of hand.

Well, considering Shields ended up doing more damage than GSP.. I can't really see how you can claim his strikes don't do ****. He is about the stiffest striker I have seen though.

Yeah he is incredibly stiff. His strikes don't really do much though, gsp had a cut on his nose and under his eye, but the whole left eye issue i'm convinced it was due to an eye poke, although not on purpose. When Rogan did the replay and said it was from a punch to the eye, i dont think it was, it looked like an eye poke during the take down attempt immediately after the replay rogan showed, IMO.

Overall I was satisfied with the event. Would of liked to of seen a little more excitement from the GSP match. The other title fight was kinda meh until that final round.

Now for the MacDonalds, glad to see a great return from Jason. Submitting Jensen was great. Rory was just straight up dominating. Diaz got absolutely pwned in the in the 3rd round. Suplexed three times in the same round. This kid is going to be something to watch for years to come. Can't wait to see how he develops.

The prelims ended up being much better than the main event. But all things considered it was a great event.

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields - "Hey Jake, your striking is crap so here's the gameplan for tonight: you're going to strike with GSP. Ok coach." 5 rounds of boredom. Jake shields tried for, I think, 5 takedowns the whole fight. They all missed. Oh he did some slight damage on GSP but he never put him in any danger. GSP was his usual self: fight smart, not hard and get the win. He also did negligent damage to Shields by throwing the same 6 or so strikes the whole fight. Seems like GSP's killer instinct left for good. Bring Nick Diaz to the UFC NOW!

Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick - Something was not right with Aldo. He was taking Hominick to the ground, he looked gassed in the 2nd round and he was just coasting/surviving the last minutes of the 5th round. He said he put on some muscle, sure that can mess up your cardio a bit but I don't think it would affect him that much. If it did, he has to move up to LW. But he still put a vicious beating on Hominick, knocking him down a couple of times and beating his face in. Hominick also fought well, not many guys can trade with Aldo like that. That forehead... christ. It was a good fight but not particularly exciting. Still better than the main event.

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida - Move along Greg Jackson, Steven Seagal is the best MMA trainer in the world. And he invented kicks. Amazing. But I still have my doubts about Machida. If faced with an agressive striker who didn't play into his counter-strategy how would he fare? Randy played right into his hands by taking it slow and allowing him to counter at will. And he won't always be able to pull out those impressive kicks out of nothing.

Jason Brilz vs. Vladimir Matyushenko - Not much to say here. It was over in a flash. Matyushenko doing was he does best, acting as a LHW litmus test and cleaning house.

Ben Henderson vs. Mark Bocek - Ben Henderson shows the UFC what he's all about. Unlike other WEC fighters who fizzled out, Ben dominated Bocek with good striking and good grappling. There were some moments where he looked a bit careless with his legs but Bocek couldn't capitalize on those. A very good fight to start the night. He'll be moving up in competition soon.

Rory MacDonald vs. Nate Diaz - WOW. Rory did a number on Diaz. He suplexed him and hit him with huge shots when he landed. Clearly a 10-8 round. Young Diaz shares his brother fighting style but not his power. Throwing those kinds of punches and not following up will get you nowhere. Also tauting and not being able to follow up makes you look like a bitch. Get Melendez to teach you some stand-up or move down to LW.

Sean Pierson vs. Jake Ellenberger - Jake showing why he still matters on the 170lb division. Still don't see him beating Fitch (he was already cheated out of his Fitch fight 2 times) but he put on a very good performance on a fight he took on short notice.

Pablo Garza vs. Yves Jabouin - One can't help to notice that Garza is HUGE! How can a guy that size fight at FW? That submission was impressive. He just jumped on him and worked it out. Jabouin also put up a fight. Those leg kicks in the beggining were doing some damage.

Daniel Roberts vs. Claude Patrick - Didn't watch.

Charlie Valencia vs. Ivan Menjivar - Menjivar was a total beast. He crushed Valencia's nose to bits. He's still quite muscular for 135, that affected his cardio in his fight with Brad Pickett. Maybe he'll move up to 145.

Jason MacDonald vs. Ryan Jensen - Sure Ryan, just rest a bit there in the guard of a submission artist. Nothing bad will come of it. Also you're Rampage, you can slam your way out of that. LoL. MacDonald showed he recovered nicely from his leg injury and subbed Jensen with some ease.

John Makdessi vs. Kyle Watson - Another WOW moment. What a finish. Makdessi is 9-0 now and will probably fight some better opponents in the future to define his standing in the LW division. Maybe Ben Henderson.