• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 8 Milestone 2 compiled

Question

Ci7    193

According to Canouna, one of the important source for Windows 8 builds have stated that build 79XX was a part of Milestone 2 and build 78XX was a part of Windows 8 Milestone 1. Here is what he posted on Russian site winreview.ru -

Windows 7 Post-RTM: 6.1.77xx.0.winmain.xxxxxx-xxxx

Windows 8 Milestone 1: ?6.2.78xx.0.winmain_win8m1.xxxxxx-xxxx

Windows 8 Milestone 2: 6.2.79xx.0.winmain_win8m2.xxxxxx-xxxx

We have already posted a couple of builds in 79XX series-

6.2.7901.0.101210-1755

6.2.7902.0.101213-1745

6.2.7903.0.101215-2325

6.2.7904.0.101216-1845

and also information about one build in 78XX series is available- 6.2.7891.X.XXXXXX-XXXX

The last build whose info was available was Build 7904 which was compiled on 16th December 2010. It would be interesting to note when the Microsoft comes out during CES 2011.

source

qdave    159

No, Windows 8 has passed M2, it has RTM'd.

6.2.xxxx.0.winmain_win8rtm.xxxxxx-xxxx

no waii! :blink:

Ci7    193

Didn't realise SBS 2011 builds were now being considered as M2 Windows 8 builds. No-one has provided any solid proof of these so called builds at all and yet people are willing to believe some russian forums and unknown forums :/

SBS 2011 is 6.1.7900

the one talked about is 6.2.7904

it actually does make sense

since both are based on Windows Server 2008

in essence SBS2011 would have some W8 optimizations

remixedcat    2,766

Wonder if they'll improve SSD performance and actually have a decent media player. 12 sucks. 11 is acceptable but nowhere near how awesome media jukebox 14 or foobar 2000 are!

Also looking forward to a sleeker, sexier UI.

Nick H.    8,657

Where did you find that? Having looked around a bit I can only find M2 stats.

Jan    402

Wonder if they'll improve SSD performance and actually have a decent media player. 12 sucks. 11 is acceptable but nowhere near how awesome media jukebox 14 or foobar 2000 are!

There's a good chance they'll replace Media Player with Zune - to bring Windows Phone, Xbox and Windows together.

remixedcat    2,766

Oh god the zune software sucked so bad. eww. guess I won't be using MS media player software then. LOL

psreloaded    66

I am not a fan of the metro UI either.

+Frank B.    7,129

And so the Windows 8 leak rumours start...

I don't expect Windows 8 to be drastically different from Windows 7. The rumours about a 'Wind' 3D UI are most likely rubbish. Why? Because Microsoft don't have any reason to introduce drastic changes. The changes introduced with 7 work as a basis for the next versions of Windows. UI-wise we'll see some refinements and small improvements over 7, perhaps a few cosmetic changes to the Aero theme, but that's about it. Some other changes I'd expect:

• Replacing WMP with the Zune player? Very well possible.
  • Expanding on the web integration introduced with IE 9 beta? Definitively.
  • Separate UI for touch devices? Quite likely. Probably similar looking to Windows Media Centre with a touch of Metro.
  • Cloud integration? Definitely. An option to store your documents and settings in the cloud for one.
  • More features being virtualised? Very likely, building on the functionality found in Windows Virtual PC.
  • An app store of sorts? Possibly.

That being said the above is mostly speculation. We won't know anything for sure before much later this year. The current Windows 8 builds more than likely are not much more than Windows 7 SP1 + IE9 + some under the hood changes.

remixedcat    2,766

The Metro UI looks like someone threw it together in MS paint in 10 seconds. very unprofessional and very ugly.

Jan    402

The Metro UI looks like someone threw it together in MS paint in 10 seconds. very unprofessional and very ugly.

You're just thinking off the Windows Phone 7 homescreen - have a look at the Zune software and tell me that's put together in 10 seconds.

remixedcat    2,766

I guess it took them an hour......

Malisk    142

Funny how Windows 8 has no official build number yet. Let alone the final build.

It will most likely be a final build number though.

Microsoft let Windows 7 be "6.1" for backwards compatibility reasons with Vista. And I don't see a reason to why they'd now want to break that.

remixedcat    2,766

I can see the version number thing now. Good. I don't care really. LOL.

Malisk    142

Didn't realise SBS 2011 builds were now being considered as M2 Windows 8 builds. No-one has provided any solid proof of these so called builds at all and yet people are willing to believe some russian forums and unknown forums :/

Better tell this to the news editor posting this on the front page then.

notuptome2004    140

And so the Windows 8 leak rumours start...

I don't expect Windows 8 to be drastically different from Windows 7. The rumours about a 'Wind' 3D UI are most likely rubbish. Why? Because Microsoft don't have any reason to introduce drastic changes. The changes introduced with 7 work as a basis for the next versions of Windows. UI-wise we'll see some refinements and small improvements over 7, perhaps a few cosmetic changes to the Aero theme, but that's about it. Some other changes I'd expect:

• Replacing WMP with the Zune player? Very well possible.
  • Expanding on the web integration introduced with IE 9 beta? Definitively.
  • Separate UI for touch devices? Quite likely. Probably similar looking to Windows Media Centre with a touch of Metro.
  • Cloud integration? Definitely. An option to store your documents and settings in the cloud for one.
  • More features being virtualised? Very likely, building on the functionality found in Windows Virtual PC.
  • An app store of sorts? Possibly.

That being said the above is mostly speculation. We won't know anything for sure before much later this year. The current Windows 8 builds more than likely are not much more than Windows 7 SP1 + IE9 + some under the hood changes.

i agree but i would also assume they would add some add functionality to current features i know i would love to see some upgrades to Aero snap. i would assume because of the new Chips from AMD and intel coming out more so AMD chips that Microsoft will invest some time in to beef up the Multi-threaded dispatch and que APIs and Kernel to better understand those new chips so they work efficiently as does the core i7s in windows 7

i would also like to assume that Microsoft may do something with direct compute and offloading more to the GPU then they currently do.

Canouna    1

LOL!

Are you kidding?

"According to the..."

Original thread: MDL Forums / "Windows 8 News"

Detection    2,257

:laugh: Dude.. please

y_notm    8

i agree but i would also assume they would add some add functionality to current features i know i would love to see some upgrades to Aero snap. i would assume because of the new Chips from AMD and intel coming out more so AMD chips that Microsoft will invest some time in to beef up the Multi-threaded dispatch and que APIs and Kernel to better understand those new chips so they work efficiently as does the core i7s in windows 7

i would also like to assume that Microsoft may do something with direct compute and offloading more to the GPU then they currently do.

Microsoft did the work for massive-parallelization in Windows 7. It currently supports up to 256 logical cores and can probably scale well beyond that. (see gray sidebar on left: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2008/nov08/11-06winserverr2.mspx)

leakAddict    6

Anyone flipping out on this quote needs to note that it is sarcasm. There is no way this was meant to be taken seriously, thus the abundance of x's

remixedcat    2,766

RTM? LOL

BumbleBritches57    22

i thought Microsoft were doing the whol big version little version big version.

vista was a big version.

windows 7 a little version (kernel wise)

windows 8 (should be a big version.) ?

macf13nd    3

i thought Microsoft were doing the whol big version little version big version.

vista was a big version.

windows 7 a little version (kernel wise)

windows 8 (should be a big version.) ?

this is a multi-billion dollar company dealing with huge external market factors. It's never going to be that simple, is it?

Chris123NT    361

Anyone flipping out on this quote needs to note that it is sarcasm. There is no way this was meant to be taken seriously, thus the abundance of x's

He is pointing out how absurd it is that people are claiming M2 has been finalized and they're using the same number of x's in their supposed build string :p

Ci7    193

M2 is not finalized, the M2 just started in december!

http://img708.images...anstitrefvy.jpg

so , they would churn out another 60 something builds build till then ?

if that so , we won't hear anything untail winHEC '11 or/and PDC '11 as beta quality (even that events are scheduled)