iphone 4 unlocked / O2

Hi everyone,

As a sort of continuation to my other thread, I've basically accepted at this point in time that my iphone 3G is not going to come back to life. I'll probably try selling it on ebay for a bit of money but who knows.

So I'm having to look at my options.

I have a contract with O2 until September 2009. I don't know how O2 deals with phones that are damaged etc, but I'm assuming I either pay out my contract now (260£) and sign a new contract, or buy a new phone to use on that contract. (My contract is 30£ a month for 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited wifi - came with the iPhone 3G 8gb)

My questions are:

1) Where is the best place to buy a new iPhone from? (ebay vs apple vs O2 etc) and which would people recommend? (in terms of price vs performance, is it worth shelling out for the 4?)

2) I still have my O2 sim card, obviously. Can I just pop that into a new iPhone and continue on the same contract?

3) If I buy a new iPhone off of somewhere like ebay and it says "locked onto O2" then is there the possibility of going through the process of unlocking it via O2 or will they tell me to get stuffed? (I went through that process before with my 3G and it was fine, but obviously this is a different case)

4) What would you pay for an iPhone (just an estimate)?

Also, will O2 want my damaged iPhone back?

Thanks,

Medking

(also try to just answer the question haha. I realize it might be a "lol" thread, but this information isn't really readily available on the internet and I feel that SOMEONE on neowin must have some experience in this area)

Get an unlocked iPhone from Apple (i'm guessing you're in the UK), request a micro sim from O2 and use their swap my sim online service to transfer your tariff/number over to the micro sim.