can't erase disk?

I'm selling my old iMac and want to completely erase its drive, but all of the options in Disk Utility are greyed out. Am I going about this the wrong way...?

post-119755-0-64983400-1294100224.jpg

Load into your installer and then do the disk utility to erase the disk. Be nice and reinstall OSX for them? ;)

Load into your installer and then do the disk utility to erase the disk. Be nice and reinstall OSX for them? ;)

That's mah plan. I'll even install my copy if iWork 09 too :p

You'd think it goes without saying you can't format your drive while the OS is running from it. How exactly would that work considering Disk Utility would erase itself with it? ;)

i dunno... never had to erase the drive, before :p

Some things are just common sense really. Formatting the drive will delete all files on it, including the OS. Expecting Mac OS X to continue functioning afterwards is like expecting Mac OS X to continue functioning even though you pulled the HDD from your Mac.

Also, keep in mind that you have to actually select the partition in order to have anything in the Erase tab become enabled... Even on my one partition drive I have to select "Macintosh HD" for anything to be enabled.

So yes, you'll have to re-partition the drive so that it only has one, and then format it... All from the OS boot disk's version of Disk Utility.

You're selling it eh? If you haven't done so already, or for future reference, I would just use Dban - http://www.dban.org/

Just in case, securely wipes the drive and makes it harder to recover any data.

Just make sure you don't have any other hard drives or USB sticks plugged into the PC/MAC, because if you select the auto option it might erase all drives.

You're selling it eh? If you haven't done so already, or for future reference, I would just use Dban - http://www.dban.org/

Why exactly? Disk Utility on the Mac OS X Install DVD supports the secure erase of data in one pass, 7 or 35. There's absolutely no need for a third-party tool.

Why exactly? Disk Utility on the Mac OS X Install DVD supports the secure erase of data in one pass, 7 or 35. There's absolutely no need for a third-party tool.

For some reason there are people who automatically think that third party applications are automatically better than what the OS vendor provides - see the Microsoft Security Essentials debate as a prime example of that phenomenon.

Orrr, maybe he was simply not aware that Disk Utility had such a feature?

Alternatively, if for any reason you've lost your OS disk (I know that may not be the case here) then you can't really run Disk Utility on boot, so you can't do a secure wipe without a third party tool in that scenario.

Alternatively, if for any reason you've lost your OS disk (I know that may not be the case here) then you can't really run Disk Utility on boot, so you can't do a secure wipe without a third party tool in that scenario.

And that's where you're wrong.

You can securely erase the empty space on your Macintosh HD without booting from the Mac OS X Install DVD. Creating a new user account, erase your used one (which can be done securely as well) and afterwards erase the empty space of your Macintosh HD with Disk Utility is just as effective.

On Mac OS X Tiger and later a third-party tool isn't required in any case.

And that's where you're wrong.

You can securely erase the empty space on your Macintosh HD without booting from the Mac OS X Install DVD. Creating a new user account, erase your used one (which can be done securely as well) and afterwards erase the empty space of your Macintosh HD with Disk Utility is just as effective.

On Mac OS X Tiger and later a third-party tool isn't required in any case.

I'm missing something here... If you want to wipe out your current drive and everything on it, how can you do that while you are actively booted into it? You need a live cd.

For some reason there are people who automatically think that third party applications are automatically better than what the OS vendor provides - see the Microsoft Security Essentials debate as a prime example of that phenomenon.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions :rolleyes: . I don't assume something is better. Dban is a free and easy to use utility that is better then the supplied MS utility that is why I recommended it.

BTW, I love MSE and use it as my anti-virus on my windows box.

Orrr, maybe he was simply not aware that Disk Utility had such a feature?Alternatively, if for any reason you've lost your OS disk (I know that may not be the case here) then you can't really run Disk Utility on boot, so you can't do a secure wipe without a third party tool in that scenario.

Yup, I was not aware that the disk utility had that feature.

I'm missing something here... If you want to wipe out your current drive and everything on it, how can you do that while you are actively booted into it? You need a live cd.

You don't have to. If you get rid of all personal / sensitive files (which normally are all stored in in your Home folder) after you created a new user account and then use Disk Utility to securely erase all free space.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions :rolleyes: . I don't assume something is better. Dban is a free and easy to use utility that is better then the supplied MS utility that is why I recommended it.

How does that in any way relate to Apple Support and Mac OS X?

Remember to zero free space to ensure that they can't retrieve anything too easily.

How do I do that with Disk Utility? All I see is the standard erase option. I have an old Apple notebook I want to give to someone but want to be sure the drive is completely cleared out.

How do I do that with Disk Utility? All I see is the standard erase option. I have an old Apple notebook I want to give to someone but want to be sure the drive is completely cleared out.

What version of Mac OS X are you installing? worse case scenario is to load up terminal when running Mac OS X installer from the utilities menu, unmount /dev/disk0s2

then go:

dd bs=512000000 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0

walk away for a few hours, come back and voila, zeroed out fully.

Reinstalling 10.6. I can go into Disk Utility and erase the partition, but I want something more secure so the old content can't be discovered.

Reinstalling 10.6. I can go into Disk Utility and erase the partition, but I want something more secure so the old content can't be discovered.

Click the Security Options button (next to the Erase button) for advanced erasing options. Check the 35-Pass Erase from the list, hit OK and then Erase.

I've already told you what you need to do - open up the terminal window via the utilities menu (you need to boot off the Mac OS X Install DVD) and use the dd command I provided - that does a start to finish writing of zero over all areas of the disk.