Speckie v1.0.0 - Spell Check for IE

Very cool app indeed!

It doesnt work in gmail though?

Which section of Gmail are you experiencing an issue with ? I just ran a quick test and hit the Compose link, Speckie was active in the text fields. If you find a field not working, try clicking outside of it and then back into it.

Which section of Gmail are you experiencing an issue with ? I just ran a quick test and hit the Compose link, Speckie was active in the text fields. If you find a field not working, try clicking outside of it and then back into it.

Yep compose section, and clicking outside didnt help. I am on ie 9 rc.

Yeah, I tested with IE9 RC too and it's working. ATM it's hit and miss. Sorry about that.

No Worries...I am glad that it works in neowin..thats where i make the most spelling mistakes :)

Thanks for the fix with the dictionaries, it does work.

I still have the issue with it crashing IE when opening new tabs.

The issue wasn't present in the pre 1.4 builds.

IE 64, win 7 HP 64.

thanks

Thanks for the fix with the dictionaries, it does work.

I still have the issue with it crashing IE when opening new tabs.

The issue wasn't present in the pre 1.4 builds.

IE 64, win 7 HP 64.

thanks

Do you have an antivirus installed ? Do you have a specific home page set ? If so, what's the address ? I'm trying to reproduce the issue but not succeeding.

Do you have an antivirus installed ? Do you have a specific home page set ? If so, what's the address ? I'm trying to reproduce the issue but not succeeding.

Have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, bing.com is my homepage, it just crashes on the new tab page.

Anything else I could do to help?

EDIT: It also crashes when I open a link in a new tab. Its definately Speckie as well cos when I disable it there is no problem.

I just learned about Speckie today and am very interested in it. But I have tried it on two machines and get the same error while installing: C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Speckie\Speckie32.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895.

Both machines are running Windows7 64-bit, one with Home Premium, one Professional. One machine is running IE9RC, the other IE8.

BTW - there is another very good real-time spell checker that works fine with IE9. It is the one included in IE7Pro.

@Bill_Bright, sounds like you may be missing the VC runtimes, you can download them here from microsoft: x86, x64 Be sure to install both of them.

I've tried ie7pro in the past and found its spell check implementation to be incomplete. Their forum is also littered with spam and there's no communication from the developers. I don't trust it on my box.

I've tried ie7pro in the past and found its spell check implementation to be incomplete. Their forum is also littered with spam and there's no communication from the developers. I don't trust it on my box.
Well, it is trustworthy, and the checker works great. But you are right about the rest and that is exactly why I have been looking for good alternative.

Now I have to admit, I am hesitant to install those two VC runtimes. These machines were built new with Win7, after those runtimes came out. It seems odd I should need them now.

Now I have to admit, I am hesitant to install those two VC runtimes. These machines were built new with Win7, after those runtimes came out. It seems odd I should need them now.

For a trusting person you don't seem that comfortable installing legitimate Microsoft binaries! :laugh:

Windows 7, like older versions of windows, doesn't come with every VB runtime that was released. Programs that get installed generally put them in, you must've been (un?)lucky not to need them for anything you've installed yet.

Just put them in, Speckie needs them and/or you'll need them down the track anyway.

Might be worth putting them in the installer just in case! :)

Well, it is trustworthy, and the checker works great. But you are right about the rest and that is exactly why I have been looking for good alternative.

My experience with the checker is it doesn't work so great. It's the reason I wrote Speckie. Try this; after it has highlighted a word as misspelt, go back and edit it manually.

As for the VC runtimes, they're required by applications written in Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, they're standard binaries that at one time or other will get installed on your system by other applications. They do not come as standard with a Windows install. I don't include them with the installer because most people have them installed by now.

[edit]Basically, what Raa said :p [/edit]

As for the VC runtimes, they're required by applications written in Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, they're standard binaries that at one time or other will get installed on your system by other applications. They do not come as standard with a Windows install. I don't include them with the installer because most people have them installed by now.

I'm pretty sure I've seen installers which don't include the VC runtimes, but give the option of downloading and installing them for you. That might be something to consider.

I'm pretty sure I've seen installers which don't include the VC runtimes, but give the option of downloading and installing them for you. That might be something to consider.

Yup, looks like I'll be adding that in the next release :)

For a trusting person you don't seem that comfortable installing legitimate Microsoft binaries!
Oh, I'm not trusting at all and I am not apologetic about it.

FTR, I just installed it on a 3rd system, also running Win7 64-bit with IE9RC and it seems to be working fine. And I did not need to install anything from MS.

Oh, I'm not trusting at all and I am not apologetic about it.

FTR, I just installed it on a 3rd system, also running Win7 64-bit with IE9RC and it seems to be working fine. And I did not need to install anything from MS.

That's because that 3rd system had the VC++ Runtime binaries installed by another application that was installed. I'll take care of this issue in the next release.

That's because that 3rd system had the VC++ Runtime binaries installed by another application that was installed.
Well, I'm sure you're right, but just not sure what that other application could be. That 3rd system is my notebook which I use when I travel all the way out to my living room. ;) In other words, it is setup identical to the two PCs - almost. There are a couple significant differences:

PC 1 has Chrome as a secondary browser.

PC 2 does not have a secondary browser.

Notebook has FF as secondary browser.

PC 1 and 2 use Outlook as email client

Notebook uses Thunderbird.

PCs connect via Ethernet, notebook via 11n.

Other than that, they all have the same programs, security, add-ons, configuration. I suspect FF or TBird, but I don't remember having to download the binaries then, either.

I'll take care of this issue in the next release.
Great! I appreciate the fast response and look forward to testing it out. Will you post a notice here when it is released?

How will you implement this? Will the install routine install the binaries if not there, or prompt the user to go fetch them? Forgive my ignorance - as a hardware technician for secure communications networks for 40+ years, I've made it a career to avoid anything that even sounds like code work! But I still want to know what my hardware is up to and that it remains secure. ;)

@Raa - As for being trusting, when it comes to the Internet, never! Even if all looks legit and you know the source, you can trust, but verify first! That's how I found this thread! Someone mentioned Speckie. I had never heard of it, so I went searching for information and reviews before giving it a try. But reviews, even user reviews, are non-existent and that alone is reason to give pause! It cannot be found in any of the common download sites. I found the Speckie website but you have to admit, it is pretty sparse of information. But it does say, "Speckie is absolutely free" - also much appreciated.

But then I see here where,

Instruction to get a free license:

Go to the sign up page here [versoworks.com]

Select the membership type Speckie (Personal License) ($7.95)

Don't select a payment option (you will not be charged)

Enter a valid email address, you'll need it to be able to log in and download the software

Enter a user name and password

Enter the coupon code 1909B933E6

You'll receive a confirmation email with a link to confirm the account, once confirmed, login to your Versoworks member page and download the software.

Coupon is valid for the first 200 people.

If you have any queries please ask me, I'm the man behind Versoworks

Can I assume Maurizio = Mauro? And this suggests that Speckie is not really, or will not be free.

@Bill_Bright, I'll see if I can update the installer today and I'll post here when its done. The installer will simply download the runtimes and install them for you if it detects they're not installed.

I understand your scepticism when it comes to trusting software because I share it with you. If you look at my profile here on neowin you'll see I've been a member since September 2004, so I'm not a fly-by-nighter. My website, Versoworks.com has an ABN listed at the bottom of it. That's an Australian Business Number, put that into the ASIC website and you'll find it's a registered company here in Australia since 2004. Lastly, you'll notice when you run the Speckie installer that Windows Vista and 7 tell you it's made by a verified publisher, Versoworks Pty Ltd. That means I've signed the installer with a certificate which required me to prove my identity and validate the ownership/existence of my company. All in all, I've tried to be as upfront about who I am and what I do, it's up to you to make an informed decision after that as to whether you trust my work or not.

Up until the the start of this year, all my software was payware. Ahoihoi and Speckie weren't free, but I changed that in January when I moved to an advertising model with Google ads on the website. I thought it would be worth a shot seeing I wasn't getting rich off of this and I still like to tinker with code.

A fellow Australian with a company? It's a pleasure!

Keep up the excellent development. Some of the best (trusted :p) applications come from the little-known companies & people. (Y)

I understand your scepticism when it comes to trusting software because I share it with you. If you look at my profile here on neowin you'll see I've been a member since September 2004, so I'm not a fly-by-nighter. My website, Versoworks.com has an ABN listed at the bottom of it. That's an Australian Business Number, put that into the ASIC website and you'll find it's a registered company here in Australia since 2004. Lastly, you'll notice when you run the Speckie installer that Windows Vista and 7 tell you it's made by a verified publisher, Versoworks Pty Ltd. That means I've signed the installer with a certificate which required me to prove my identity and validate the ownership/existence of my company. All in all, I've tried to be as upfront about who I am and what I do, it's up to you to make an informed decision after that as to whether you trust my work or not.
Please understand, I am not questioning you. But until I found this thread, I could find no information about Speckie and I wanted to learn more about it. I stayed and posted here because (1) though not active here, I have been a member for awhile too, and know the site better than my post count might suggest, and (2), it was immediately apparent this thread and you were the definitive source, and (3) Speckie looked worth pursuing and nothing that happened, or was said has changed that. Nor am I a fly-by-nighter either as the link in my sig reveals. In fact, my "job" involves spending 4 - 5 hours in forums just like this every day helping folks with computer problems. And IMO, part of presenting a professional technical response is proper spelling - I feel it gives credence to the advice we give, hopefully giving the OP confidence to step through some tricky procedure. So while I like IE7Pro, it has several nice features besides an able spell checker, it is not without problems. If there is a better checker, I will switch in a heartbeat, and not hesitate to recommend it to others.
I thought it would be worth a shot seeing I wasn't getting rich off of this and I still like to tinker with code.
I think that is the fate of many good coders - it is hard to charge when there are free alternatives. But if free and good, more folks will give it a try, and they in turn will tell their friends. Plus, they will be more willing to try other products. I note Piriform, the makers of CCleaner. If CCleaner were not free and good, no one would be willing to give Recuva, Defraggler or Speccy a try.

Will there be a US dictionary? I was about to really be skeptical when I saw your "scepticism" - with a "c". I used to live in the UK, but still thought it was spelled with a "k", as in skepticism the world over - until I looked it up. It seems "The Queen's English" uses a "c". Blimey. ;)

Hmmmm, seem to have a problem. A coiuple of them.

First, perhaps just me, but when I see the download page and see 64-bit version, I think, "I'm using 64-bit Windows, that's what I want". But for many, that would be a mistake because even in 64-bit Windows 7, 32-bit IE is the default. So, as happened to me, speckie installed in 64-bit IE but all my programs and shortcuts call up 32-bit. You might want to be more descriptive. But also, I think your All-in-one installer should be the one you push first, and put the individual installers in smaller font, off to the side. And your AIO installer should install, or better yet, prompt to install in 32, 64, or both.

The 64-bit version is working perfectly. But now I am in 32-bit IE on the same machine and it sees Hmmmm and coiuple and tags them (and speckie and AIO) with the red squiggly underlines, but right-clicking shows no menu options and no dictionary words. :( Will play around a bit and see what happens.

Edit add: I just realized 64-bit IE cannot bet set as the default. So it seems more imperative descriptions be more clear. And sadly, I have uninstalled and reinstalled and 32-bit does not work properly.

Nice idea but doesn't work. Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1 IE9 RC Zoom 125%. It immediately crashes IE64. Sometimes it works in IE32 but is very erratic in where you have to click. You have to click the word before the one you want to check or the space between words or even on another line. Or it may be impossible.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 9.0.8080.16413

Application Timestamp: 4d4ce896

Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll

Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.4940

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca2e32e

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000001e2e0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 7271

Additional Information 2: 727146b2694cd46d3eaa0ef572ad8d1e

Additional Information 3: e249

Additional Information 4: e24939842395535c8beb4d3dec5a94d8

Edit: Tried it on another PC with same OS but no SP1. IE64 still immediately crashes. But I discovered the other problem is do to zoom being at 125%. Works at 100%

Hmmmm, seem to have a problem. A coiuple of them.

First, perhaps just me, but when I see the download page and see 64-bit version, I think, "I'm using 64-bit Windows, that's what I want". But for many, that would be a mistake because even in 64-bit Windows 7, 32-bit IE is the default. So, as happened to me, speckie installed in 64-bit IE but all my programs and shortcuts call up 32-bit. You might want to be more descriptive. But also, I think your All-in-one installer should be the one you push first, and put the individual installers in smaller font, off to the side. And your AIO installer should install, or better yet, prompt to install in 32, 64, or both.

The 64-bit version is working perfectly. But now I am in 32-bit IE on the same machine and it sees Hmmmm and coiuple and tags them (and speckie and AIO) with the red squiggly underlines, but right-clicking shows no menu options and no dictionary words. :( Will play around a bit and see what happens.

Edit add: I just realized 64-bit IE cannot bet set as the default. So it seems more imperative descriptions be more clear. And sadly, I have uninstalled and reinstalled and 32-bit does not work properly.

THE AIO installer will install both 32 and 64 bit versions on 64 bit Windows.

Nice idea but doesn't work. Win7 Ultimate 64 SP1 IE9 RC Zoom 125%. It immediately crashes IE64. Sometimes it works in IE32 but is very erratic in where you have to click. You have to click the word before the one you want to check or the space between words or even on another line. Or it may be impossible.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 9.0.8080.16413

Application Timestamp: 4d4ce896

Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll

Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.4940

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca2e32e

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000001e2e0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 7271

Additional Information 2: 727146b2694cd46d3eaa0ef572ad8d1e

Additional Information 3: e249

Additional Information 4: e24939842395535c8beb4d3dec5a94d8

Edit: Tried it on another PC with same OS but no SP1. IE64 still immediately crashes. But I discovered the other problem is do to zoom being at 125%. Works at 100%

Ahh, thank you for this info, I haven't tested it with the zoom. I'll look in to this ASAP.