Speckie v1.0.0 - Spell Check for IE

Zoom problem and delay are gone but half the time it doesn't work at all (no detection of msipelled words, both versions). I wish the RC hadn't broken ieSpell.

I've released v1.5.4 which addresses all of the issues raised here since the last release. Thanks to all of you for reporting them and especially donbt99 for helping me root out the slow down issue.

:( Sorry, but not quite. Still don't have right-context options with 32-bit - didn't try 64-bit.
I wish the RC hadn't broken ieSpell.
It didn't. Works great here. Perhaps if you uninstall and reintall it.

It didn't. Works great here. Perhaps if you uninstall and reintall it.

I have, many times , on three computers. It works about half the time and the rest of the time it strings words together. Did not happen until the RC. Try this site http://www.f2bb.com. I does it on others too but I mostly hang out there. Spekie is not working as I write this.

It seems to work for me but that's not a site I would spend any time at for any extended testing. Still the ieSpell folks will hopefully come out with a new version or IE9 soon. But then again, since it is not real-time, it is not a priority for me.

Zoom problem and delay are gone but half the time it doesn't work at all (no detection of msipelled words, both versions). I wish the RC hadn't broken ieSpell.

Can you point me to specific webpages you experience the issue with ?

:( Sorry, but not quite. Still don't have right-context options with 32-bit - didn't try 64-bit.

When you have the time, contact me and I'll try to resolve the issue with you.

I've released v1.5.5 which finally fixes the issue with the vBulletin boards Quick Reply box.

If you find any other input boxes Speckie fails on, please let me know.

When you have the time, contact me and I'll try to resolve the issue with you.
Since it is happening with more than one computer and since I am not the only one with the problem, I would rather keep it public so all can benefit.

Since it is happening with more than one computer and since I am not the only one with the problem, I would rather keep it public so all can benefit.

But if you work with him and get the issue resolved faster, all WILL benefit. ;)

Either way, lets hope it's knocked on the head (fixed) soon!

As far as I know, you're now the only one experiencing that specific context menu issue. I resolved the cause of a similar issue when using the zoom. People can only benefit from a fix I provide, not the back and forth communication and testing required to resolve it, which is not suited to this forum.

If anyone else experiences the context menu issue and is willing to help resolve it, please contact me.

For me, it works perfectly when it works at all, which is about half the time., on both 32 and 64. I have gone back to ieSpell, even though it strings words together half the time. I suppose I should just give up and use Chrome but I hate its ugliness. Win7 64 Ultimate SP1.

For me, it works perfectly when it works at all, which is about half the time., on both 32 and 64. I have gone back to ieSpell, even though it strings words together half the time. I suppose I should just give up and use Chrome but I hate its ugliness. Win7 64 Ultimate SP1.

if you don't like chrome then use firefox or opera, they both have spell check built in, actually pretty much all the major web browsers have a built in spell check now except for IE :p

I'd avoid Firefox or Opera, Chrome definately a good choice for an alternate browser though.

I'm sure Mauro will be able to fix up the remaining bugs anyway. :)

I've resolved an issue with late binding iframes which was the cause of the problem with the vbulletin quick reply box. If you're experiencing failure to check words in an input box with the latest v1.5.5, please post a bug report on the Versoworks forum stating the URL of the webpage so I can look in to it.

For me, it's working well on the sites I visit. I'm sure you can understand I can't test with every site online, that's where end user feedback plays its part.

In other news, I've updated the Speckie website :yes:

I've resolved an issue with late binding iframes which was the cause of the problem with the vbulletin quick reply box. If you're experiencing failure to check words in an input box with the latest v1.5.5, please post a bug report on the Versoworks forum stating the URL of the webpage so I can look in to it.

For me, it's working well on the sites I visit. I'm sure you can understand I can't test with every site online, that's where end user feedback plays its part.

In other news, I've updated the Speckie website :yes:

It rarely works on this site. Works about half the time on http://www.city-data.com/forum/. When I say it doesn't work, no words are underlined.

It rarely works on this site. Works about half the time on http://www.city-data.com/forum/. When I say it doesn't work, no words are underlined.

@TabNumlock and @Bill_Bright; I've released a Beta version which addresses the issues you've both experienced, you can find the details here.

Everyone else is free to try the Beta version if they so wish, please report on the Versoworks forum your experience with it if you do.

dooes itt workk? YES!

I went to my three usual forums and it worked at each one, including this one. The problem before was that it couldn't handle multiple instances, I guess. Great work mauro! BTW, I tried this on a 3rd computer and it was the same. That one had Win7 Home Premium 64 no SP1.

Jusst cheekingg . Yep, still works

Edit: Oops. Adding a word to the dictionary crashes IE9.

dooes itt workk? YES!

I went to my three usual forums and it worked at each one, including this one. The problem before was that it couldn't handle multiple instances, I guess. Great work mauro! BTW, I tried this on a 3rd computer and it was the same. That one had Win7 Home Premium 64 no SP1.

Jusst cheekingg . Yep, still works

Edit: Oops. Adding a word to the dictionary crashes IE9.

Thanks for testing. I've fixed the Add Word crash, it'll be available in the next release. I'm just waiting on Bill_Bright to see if his context menu issue is resolved.

This is a great add-on, thanks so much Mauro, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support :)

Now if there were only a simple form-filler like Chrome has. Also, the PrivacyChioce 2 TPL needs a few more sites added to it to block more ads. I have no idea how to edit a TPL tho.

Now if there were only a simple form-filler like Chrome has. Also, the PrivacyChioce 2 TPL needs a few more sites added to it to block more ads. I have no idea how to edit a TPL tho.

I'll be keeping Speckie strictly as a spell check, I won't turn it into an ie7pro type deal because I don't wish to bloat it.

I'm also swearing off making any more IE add-ons unless trucks full of cash are parked in my driveway. The beast that is IE was really not designed with add-ons in mind. I am betting however, that IE X (10) will have spell check built in. I don't think they can ignore it much longer.

• Like 3

@TabNumlock and @Bill_Bright; I've released a Beta version which addresses the issues you've both experienced, you can find the details here.

Hmmm, it is working better but there are still some problems. In a text box like this reply box it seems to work, but there is something odd going on. If I click on the quote button to add a quote, all the tags (red lines) disappear. To get them back I have to manually check spelling, or I can highlight all, copy and paste (Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c, Crtl-v). Same thing happens if I go back and put italics, bold or underline anywhere in the text box. All the tags go away. :(

As for the dictionary itself. It tags the ampersand symbol, @ unless I put it in quotes "@" - I thought that was odd. Other punctuation marks seem to be okay. For TabNumlock, it suggests "Blockbusting", also odd. When you accidentallyomit a space between words, then go back and insert the space, the tag does not go away - I have to manually refresh the whole text box again with Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c, Crtl-v. And I just noticed "Ctrl" is tagged 3 times in the above paragraph but only once in the sentence preceding this one. Another refresh fixed that.

I would like to see the Check Spelling option in the right context menu actually check spelling - instead of turning the spell check on and off. Especially if my tags keep disappearing.

I think when the wrinkles get smoothed out and this spell checker seems seamless, it will be a good add-on for every IE user.

Hmmm, it is working better but there are still some problems. In a text box like this reply box it seems to work, but there is something odd going on. If I click on the quote button to add a quote, all the tags (red lines) disappear. To get them back I have to manually check spelling, or I can highlight all, copy and paste (Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c, Crtl-v). Same thing happens if I go back and put italics, bold or underline anywhere in the text box. All the tags go away. :(

As for the dictionary itself. It tags the ampersand symbol, @ unless I put it in quotes "@" - I thought that was odd. Other punctuation marks seem to be okay. For TabNumlock, it suggests "Blockbusting", also odd. When you accidentallyomit a space between words, then go back and insert the space, the tag does not go away - I have to manually refresh the whole text box again with Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c, Crtl-v. And I just noticed "Ctrl" is tagged 3 times in the above paragraph but only once in the sentence preceding this one. Another refresh fixed that.

I would like to see the Check Spelling option in the right context menu actually check spelling - instead of turning the spell check on and off. Especially if my tags keep disappearing.

I think when the wrinkles get smoothed out and this spell checker seems seamless, it will be a good add-on for every IE user.

I've released another Beta version to address this issue when editing. The reason the red lines were being removed is these rich text forum editors replace the entire contents of the edit field whenever they insert/modify the contents, thus removing the red lines. Speckie simply rechecks the entire field when they do this now.

As for what the dictionaries suggest or flag as incorrect, that's beyond my control. For some context, the actual spell check engine used by Speckie is the Hunspell library. This library is also used by Firefox for its spell check. The actual Dictionaries used by Speckie are those that are provided by Google in their Chrome web browser, I didn't create them myself.

I've been looking for something like this. I'd been using IE7Pro's until it more or less quit working for me for the most part with IE9, and IE Spell isn't quite what I wanted (and has a couple of it's own bugs that annoy me as well). I'll be downloading and trying this out later today. :D

Just for reference, you can force Speckie to spell check a word by simply placing the caret on it and then off it. You can move the caret by clicking on the word and then clicking on a different word or using the arrow keys on your keyboard.