EA Shutting Down Servers: 2011 Edition

Another series of EA games are going offline; the publisher?s announced quite the hefty list of titles that over the coming weeks and months will be losing their online functions.

The Battle for Middle-earth II is the first to get hit, with the Xbox 360 version going offline next week (PC version was already shut down on Dec 31). The game?s biting the dust due to EA?s expired licensing agreement with Middle-earth Enterprises, it explains in the service update (via).

There are plenty more plugs pulled too, mostly on older sports titles. Grab the details and scheduling below.

Jan 11, 2011

The Lord of the Rings?, The Battle for Middle-earth? II for Xbox 360

The Lord of the Rings?, The Battle for Middle-earth? II, The Rise of the Witch-king? for Xbox 360

Jan 17, 2011

The Sims Carnival

Feb 8, 2011

FIFA 07 for Xbox 360

FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

EA SPORTS? FIFA Manager 10 for PC

EA SPORTS? Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Madden 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

Madden 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2 and Wii

NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

NCAA? Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA? Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA? Football 07 for Xbox 360

NCAA? Football 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA? Football 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA? Football 10 for PlayStation 2

NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NHL? 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NHL? 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR? 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

UEFA EURO 2008? for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

2010 FIFA World Cup? for PlayStation Portable and Wii

2010 FIFA World Cup? Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Mar 1, 2011

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR? 09 for Wii

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/01/05/ea-to-shut-down-older-online-games/

More dedicated FAIL

you know its bullcrap that they are pulling the plug on servers for a 09 game. I mean I realize it comes out in 08 but still, we freakin pay 59 BUCKS for these games now to have the best features of the game (Multiplayer) shut down after a year or 2.

All those games are old though. what kind of weirdo plays games from 09 when there's 2010 versions available?

Not everyone buys the new $60 game every year. They should tell you on the box that they are going to take away half of the game from you on a certain date, and then give you a refund.

I don't get these games in general anyway; personally I don't play sports game or even sports for that matter. But same game comes out every year, which I can't tell any difference between them. Do they include new tactics every year or something, because buying the same game every year with minor updates at $60 rate is pretty ridiculous.

All those games are old though. what kind of weirdo plays games from 09 when there's 2010 versions available?

I really hope your being sarcastic.

Some people don't want to pay ?30-?45 quid a year just to have the 'latest and greatest'.

How is this news

EA announces which games they are shutting down for 2011, which haven't been announced until now. I guess I would call that news. That's just me. Maybe everyone else got the memo but me.

*yawn* most of these games probably have on a few dozen visitors a month as well.

This just in, all cars made in 09 and prior will have their engines disabled because the 10 version are available. All car owners will have to get the new versions and will not be refunded for their previous purchase. This shouldnt't be a big deal since only weirdos drive cars that are a year old.

you know its bullcrap that they are pulling the plug on servers for a 09 game. I mean I realize it comes out in 08 but still, we freakin pay 59 BUCKS for these games now to have the best features of the game (Multiplayer) shut down after a year or 2.

Actually, I think you can still play multiplayer, you just won't have centralized scores and crap.

I dunno, I don't really play any of these games.

This just in, all cars made in 09 and prior will have their engines disabled because the 10 version are available. All car owners will have to get the new versions and will not be refunded for their previous purchase. This shouldnt't be a big deal since only weirdos drive cars that are a year old.

laugh.gif Now THAT was good.

and don't forget if you drive a car older than a 2010 model then you are a weirdo

This just in, all cars made in 09 and prior will have their engines disabled because the 10 version are available. All car owners will have to get the new versions and will not be refunded for their previous purchase.

Where's the analogy? The EA games in question connect to XBL to EA's servers for the game.. I don't see where a car would need to 'connect' to it's dealership for certain functionality.

Where's the analogy? The EA games in question connect to XBL to EA's servers for the game.. I don't see where a car would need to 'connect' to it's dealership for certain functionality.

Dealership sold me a 2009 model, in 100% working order. Same dealer sells 2010 model, in 100% working order. 2009 model remains in 100% working order with all functionality in tact.

EA sold me a 2009 model, in 100% working order. EA sells 2010 model, in 100% working order. 2009 model now remains at 50% working order with functionality stripped.

Because in 2010 most, if not all cars go their 5 year remake. That means makers have to keep making old parts for old cars to keep them running. If they just disable all of the cars prior to 2010, no cost of maintaining the "old" parts. EA is closing the servers for the same reason. The games are old and they don't want to pay for the servers to stay up.

I'm not surprised. Keeping the servers up and running isn't free. If the number of players has gone down and more games of the same series are released, then it makes sense for them to save money.

I see no analogy between that and what EA has planned on doing.

I see no analogy between that and what EA has planned on doing.

You don't see the analogy of having a product reduced in functionality when the new model comes out?

You mean kicking a ball around in 09 isn't the same as '10?! STOP THE PRESS!

You don't see the analogy of having a product reduced in functionality when the new model comes out?

Again, I don't see the analogy. EA is shutting down the servers for multiple reasons, otherwise they'd leave them up. They aren't shutting it down just because they released a new title for [insert series title here]. It's a service that requires money to "stay up and running". Would it make sense for them to maintain such a service when so few players are actually playing online?

Using a 2009 model car and 2010 model car (where the former has reduced functionality once the latter is released) is a poor (perhaps non-existent) analogy. You just can't compare the two.

Again, I don't see the analogy. EA is shutting down the servers for multiple reasons, otherwise they'd leave them up. They aren't shutting it down just because they released a new title for [insert series title here].

It costs car makers money to make parts of older model cars. 2009 cars are a different model completely in most cases from 2010 cars. I am kind of sad and disappointed that this actually has to be explained. Just proves the saying true. Common sense is not all that common.

Again, I don't see the analogy. EA is shutting down the servers for multiple reasons, otherwise they'd leave them up. They aren't shutting it down just because they released a new title for [insert series title here]. It's a service that requires money to "stay up and running". Would it make sense for them to maintain such a service when so few players are actually playing online?

Using a 2009 model car and 2010 model car (where the former has reduced functionality once the latter is released) is a poor (perhaps non-existent) analogy. You just can't compare the two.

They are shutting them down to save themselves money and encourage you to buy the new model (so you spend more money). They are reducing the functionality of a game that I own and paid full price for. The back of the box clearly states online multiplayer. So, it's essentially false advertising unless they give an expiration date on the online functionality.

not everyone is stupid enough to buy a new sports game every year, considering how little changes from year to year.