Why doesn't iOS do Widgets

apple wants you to open your app to view the content and nothing else so they can say this app has been used 6,000,000,000 times, amazing, incredible, revolutionary!

That's absurd. There are no "app has been used x times" statistics. Well, at least not in an easily accessible place. Apple wants to sell their products just like any other company. Nothing more, nothing less. Incredible! Revolutionary!

To the people saying that they don't want widgets, the addition of widgets wouldn't affect you at all would it? I mean, if you didn't want them then you wouldn't have to add them. The same mentality applies to Android, people don't have to add widgets.

I must admit, widgets was one of the selling points for me getting an Android phone. Not the selling point, but certainly one of them.

Exactly. Just like Dashboard in Mac OS X. Its there if you want to use it but no one is forcing you. I think we will see something like widgets (or an updated notification system) in the next iOS version. Honestly, there really isn't much left when compared to other mobile OS on the market. I guess they could include a universal grammar checker or something :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping an old(ish) thread. But I have recently JB my iOS device, to allow for Widgets and better notifications. FOr me this brings a new lease of life for my 3GS. One thing that has annoyed me for months was the fact I had to unlock the device everytime I wanted to see if I had emails (true it only takes a few seconds) But I'd rather just glance at my screen to see if its worth looking through my emails. LockInfo is such a great tool! I get the email header so I can choose if I want to read it.

If Apple do not offically support apps ike these then I will be leaving my iOS devices behind and going for WP7/Android in July '11

Widgets should not be mandatory either, allow users to have the choice to displaying them. Think that would suit all...?

Are you kidding me? Apple did a brilliant job with their multitasking support. How do I know this, for sure? Because many a friend who own an Android handset bitch-and-moan about their battery life. Meanwhile I'm running on a charge from 2 days ago... :laugh:

But everyone is entitled to their opinion... :sleep:

Only services on Android can consume CPU power. Other background tasks are frozen on Android, it's not Android's multitasking that causes battery drain.

Are you kidding me? Apple did a brilliant job with their multitasking support. How do I know this, for sure? Because many a friend who own an Android handset bitch-and-moan about their battery life. Meanwhile I'm running on a charge from 2 days ago... :laugh:
I can last 2 days on my Android handset aswell, but that means jack **** when related to multi-tasking. Multi-tasking is properly implemented on the Android not on iOS.