Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

Where none of these groups attempting to crack the console prior to the removal of "other os'?

I sure don't remember any progress or real concerted effort until the removal of "OtherOS". But that might be a Chicken & Egg issue because maybe they removed OtherOS because hackers were getting close to cracking the PS3.

I sure don't remember any progress or real concerted effort until the removal of "OtherOS". But that might be a Chicken & Egg issue because maybe they removed OtherOS because hackers were getting close to cracking the PS3.

i believe it's universally understood that it is why they removed the otherOS fuctionality. people found a backdoor through it.

Someone waded through the TOS and this is the interesting bit

# You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware, including Non-Licensed Peripherals, in conjunction with Sony Online Services, or take or use any data from Sony Online Services to design, develop or update unauthorized software or hardware, including cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices.

# You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.

# You may not cause disruption to any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to Sony Online Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.

# You may not attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with Sony Online Services.

The Banhammer May Be Coming

On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.
fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)

mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads

nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview

nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads

(main file exchange connections)

us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection

ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection

dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)

auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server

(destination servers)

service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)

(Error Reporting)

creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.
Surprising absolutely noone it looks like Sony are detecting homebrew applications meaning that everyone who went on PSN with a jailbroken console can expect to be banned eventually. This is definitely not the only way that Sony can detect jailbroken systems so we'll never truly ever know if it's going to be safe to go online. That ban may come tommorow or it may come in 6 months time but it will almost certainly eventually come.

Of course people are only interested in it for piracy purposes but to keep up the fa?ade they give out opinions claiming "Oh yes we'll run Linux and/or other OS on it!". I'm sure Sony has some ideas on how to combat it, one of them is adding further checks into the OS itself and making all games authenticate on-line, which is undoubtably where we'll end.

Thanks cheap ass pirates, you're screwing it for the rest of us.

I think that is a cheap shot. I know lots of people who only bought the ps3 because it plays blue-rays and was the best value at the time. I myself wanted Linux because it could run XBMC but I found this was not the case. I could care less about games.

The Banhammer May Be Coming

But this won't matter, it matters right now since the firmwares that are out aren't finished and don't implement any counter detection. but since they have full access to everything, it doesn't matter Sony can check and ask for what they want from the console, and once the proper custom firmwares are out. It'll just return whatever sony wants to hear, not what is actually on the console.

But this won't matter, it matters right now since the firmwares that are out aren't finished and don't implement any counter detection. but since they have full access to everything, it doesn't matter Sony can check and ask for what they want from the console, and once the proper custom firmwares are out. It'll just return whatever sony wants to hear, not what is actually on the console.

Even if that's the case, which you don't know for sure, you're putting your trust in the custom firmware coder to discover what is deemed as correct, and then successfully send that to Sony.

Thing is, the people who really care will just get hold of a different console for jailbreaking and keep that off the network. Now that it's fairly cheap(ish) to buy a ps3 second hand.

Of course those that want to play online will need a legit console tho.

So what is the point of Jailbreaking the PS3 other than for Piracy reasons?

Is there a bunch of modders waiting to make illegitimate games for it or something?

Not really, for whatever reason people just seem to get a kick out of turning every modern piece of technology they own into a device that emulates 10-20 year old games (SNES/Mega Drive/etc) laugh.gif

People are also waiting on XMBC as well, although anyone using PSN should just stick to PS3MS or buy a cheap PC to run XMBC through their TV.

Aside from piracy nothing really worth risking your PS3/account over if you use online.

Not really, for whatever reason people just seem to get a kick out of turning every modern piece of technology they own into a device that emulates 10-20 year old games (SNES/Mega Drive/etc)

haha, so true. Emulators are always one of the first things that end up being created by homebrewers. Heck, even my Nokia N95 had SNES/Mega drive emulators for it.

Not really, for whatever reason people just seem to get a kick out of turning every modern piece of technology they own into a device that emulates 10-20 year old games (SNES/Mega Drive/etc) laugh.gif

People are also waiting on XMBC as well, although anyone using PSN should just stick to PS3MS or buy a cheap PC to run XMBC through their TV.

Aside from piracy nothing really worth risking your PS3/account over if you use online.

Not really. I wouldn't mind having XBMC on the PS3 as it would save me buying another Revo for it. Also that's another HDMI slot taken up etc etc. Running PS3MS means having another PC on to be running it. If it ran XBMC then I wouldn't need that, admittedly my ReadyNAS already has media streaming, but it's basic with no icons etc. XBMC looks so much better. The only thing is as you say, is it worth risking your account for?

Not really. I wouldn't mind having XBMC on the PS3 as it would save me buying another Revo for it. Also that's another HDMI slot taken up etc etc. Running PS3MS means having another PC on to be running it. If it ran XBMC then I wouldn't need that, admittedly my ReadyNAS already has media streaming, but it's basic with no icons etc. XBMC looks so much better. The only thing is as you say, is it worth risking your account for?

Well that's why I said anyone using PSN :p

If you don't use PSN you'd be silly not to use XMBC if it ever comes to the PS3.

So what is the point of Jailbreaking the PS3 other than for Piracy reasons?

Is there a bunch of modders waiting to make illegitimate games for it or something?

Once this matures, I plan to buy one and convert it into a media center type PC with Blu-Ray capability, play all my movie files and then some. I will have two.

ps3ms sucks, not being able to fast forward any sort of HD content properly gets old quick... and why when you can have one device (jailbroken ps3) that does all that and more?

and the only people who really care about their accounts so much are the losers who get their self esteem boost from the trophy list... it's not like you lose your save games or anything or can't make another profile, and we do not even know if that is the case because sony hasn't done anything about it (yet).

ps3ms sucks, not being able to fast forward any sort of HD content properly gets old quick... and why when you can have one device (jailbroken ps3) that does all that and more?

and the only people who really care about their accounts so much are the losers who get their self esteem boost from the trophy list... it's not like you lose your save games or anything or can't make another profile, and we do not even know if that is the case because sony hasn't done anything about it (yet).

:rolleyes:

Or the ones that have spent money on PSN games. :hmmm:

:rolleyes:

Or the ones that have spent money on PSN games. :hmmm:

I highly doubt they would disable access to PSN games you've already purchased.... Otherwise I could see this going to court`

I highly doubt they would disable access to PSN games you've already purchased.... Otherwise I could see this going to court`

why ? MS has done this already and noone has sued them successfully yet.