Definitive Best Antivirus 2011

Definitive Best Antivirus 2011  

724 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice? (see Continued, below)

• Agnitum AV/Outpost
    • Alwil Avast!
    • Arcabit ArcaVir
    • AVG
    • Avira Antivir
    • Beijing Rising AV/Internet Security/PC Doctor
    • Bullguard AV/Internet Security
    • CheckPoint ZoneAlarm/AV/Internet Securit
    • ClamWin
    • Computer Associates
    • Comodo AV/Internet Security
    • Dr. Web (Dialogue Science) AV
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Online Armour
    • ESET NOD32/Smart Security
    • F-Secure
    • Frisk F-PROT
    • G Data AV/Interet Security
    • Hauri ViRobot
    • Kaspersky AV/Internet Security
    • ** Not on this list, see below **
  2. 2. Your choice? (continued)

• McAfee
    • Microsoft Forefront/Security Essentials
    • MWTI eScan
    • Norman AV/Security Suite
    • Panda AV/Internet Security
    • Softwin BitDefender
    • Sophos
    • SUPERAntiSpyware
    • Symantec/PC Tools/Norton
    • Trend Micro
    • VirusBlokAda VBA32
    • Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    • Other (please specify)
    • ** Not on this list, see above **

Question

Hello,

It seems that there is a limit of 20 items per question. Let me ask if they can be merged.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I fixed the poll so that you can select 'Not on this list' as an option. Also, pinned thread.

As for my picks, as a paid antivirus I would go for NOD32. For free I would pick Avast!. My main concerns for antiviruses have to do with speed and I/O overhead on the system.

Avira! Faster scans than MSE, lightweight memory usage, and pretty darn good detections rates based on tests I've seen on av-comparatives. GUI needs an overhaul though..

Another vote for Avast - had it for 5 years now. I find it light on system resources. It doesn't detect everything, though there isn't an anti-virus out there that does.

Hello,

Many thanks! I had wonder if doing something like that would be a solution, but was unsure of whether it would affect the already gathered results.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I fixed the poll so that you can select 'Not on this list' as an option. Also, pinned thread.

As for my picks, as a paid antivirus I would go for NOD32. For free I would pick Avast!. My main concerns for antiviruses have to do with speed and I/O overhead on the system.

I have to cast my vote for Microsoft Security Essentials, but I was using Avast before that, and I really liked that one.

I cast my vote for MS Security Essentials. But before that, I was using Avast which is also a good AV.

Aryeh,

Congrats on being re-awarded as a Microsoft MVP (from your Twitter page)! Are you still affiliated with Eset?

Now, as much as I respect NOD32 and Eset as a whole, I found myself drawn to Microsoft Security Essentials and have been using it for some time now. I use it in conjunction with Windows Firewall w/Advanced Security. For my needs, being that I am extremely careful in terms of the websites, attachments, etc. that I work with, MSE has been adequate. I use 2 PCs at home and $55.99 for NOD32 is quite steep when there are free alternatives out there, especially with the economy being the way it is. But one size does not fit all and I wish the folks at Eset continued success.

I would ask, assuming you are still with them, if Eset has ever considered offering a free antivirus option to compete with MSE, AVG, Avast, etc.? I think if more people tried your excellent products, they would be very likely to purchase the paid versions of NOD32/Smart Security.

Just a thought.

I've been a NOD32 user since around 2005 and have been extremely happy with the protection and speed of the product. Of course, I combine that with some general internet common sense gained over the years (and in some cases, the hard way) to keep my system safe.

I generally recommend MSE to friends and colleagues if they are looking for something free or cheap, but if they are open to a paid solution I always recommend NOD32.

Having said that however, having anything (almost) is better than nothing.

Another vote for Avast - had it for 5 years now. I find it light on system resources. It doesn't detect everything, though there isn't an anti-virus out there that does.

Agreed that is why I don't use one. I take a better approach even if it is more restrictive. No performance overhead is the best part! I do run a virus scanner still but only every month or so. I don't use it constantly or ever keep it on my system.