Shane Carwin confirms likely UFC 131 slot

Following recent back surgery, Shane Carwin (12-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) expects to make his return to the cage in June at UFC 131.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported the news on Monday, and Carwin confirmed the tentative booking on his official website, www.shane-carwin.com.

In the update, Carwin also confirmed he had been approached about fighting "The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner Roy Nelson before he ultimately was scheduled for a meeting with Frank Mir at UFC 130.

Officials hope to finalize plans for UFC 131 this week. The show is tentatively planned for June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. As MMAjunkie.com reported on Monday, Carwin is expected to play a prominent role in the pay-per-view event.

"So last week we got the call from (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva asking if we would consider fighting Nelson at UFC 130," Carwin wrote. "We accepted the matchup and ... Silva said that it was 90 percent a go. The next day we were informed that they went a different direction for Nelson and that they want me to fight someone at UFC 131 in Vancouver. I have once again rapidly accepted the date.

"As of this blog, no opponent has been mentioned. Other than the MMAjunkie.com story, I have not heard anymore about my June 11 return."

Carwin hasn't fought since UFC 116 in July 2009, when he suffered a second-round submission loss to then-champ Brock Lesnar. Carwin dominated the first round of the fight but admittedly slowed in the second, which gave Lesnar the opening he needed for the comeback win.

Prior to the loss, Carwin had posted a perfect 12-0 record with 12 first-round stoppages. The UFC victories came over Christian Wellisch, Neil Wain, Gabriel Gonzaga and Mir.

Carwin had been slated for a UFC 125 meeting with Nelson earlier this month. However, back pain ultimately forced him off the card and into the operating room.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22052/shane-carwin-confirms-likely-ufc-131-slot-was-offered-roy-nelson-fight.mma

Rumor has it that JDS will fight Carwin for an interim title while Cain recovers on his damaged shoulder. If it ends up being true, it will be a slobberknocker.

Now that we know who JDS is fighting, I wonder who will fight Carwin since there aren't many top level HW around available. Will it be Struve? Mir again perhaps?

Stephan Struve should be put against him, it'd definately be the biggest fight of his career..

Yes, but he will get smashed to bits (providing Carwin fixed his gas tank). Struve is the gatekeeper for the HW division. Every good guy smashes him to bits, every mediocre guys gets smashed by him. I don't see Carwin having any troubles if his gas tank is up to par since Struve has gas and heart for miles.

Ive seen Struve smashed for 3 rounds and then pull off a victory, obviously not against a guy with as hard a punch as Carwin though.. It may still be a bit early for Struve, he's still only 22.

Ive seen Struve smashed for 3 rounds and then pull off a victory, obviously not against a guy with as hard a punch as Carwin though.. It may still be a bit early for Struve, he's still only 22.

Like I said, he's the litmus test of the HW division. His only 2 losses in the UFC have been to JDS and Roy Nelson, who are both top level HW. He's scrubbed the floor with the rest of the HW division.