Do you like IPv6 IP Addresses?

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like IPv6 Addresses?

• I prefer IPv6 over IPv4 addresses
    • I prefer IPv4 Addresses, but still like IPv6 ones
    • I prefer IPv4 Addresses and do not like IPv6 ones
    • I don't care either way

So I'm sure a lot of you are hearing about IPv6 right now and personally I'm not really a fan of the addressing system. It is to me very hard to recognize IP addresses as they are so long and random. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were so I'm making this Poll.

Here is an example of an IPv6 address: 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf

And here is an example of an IPv4 Address: 216.239.51.99

Edit:// Also I should mention this is only a topic about what you think of the visual design of the IPv6 IP Addresses not about how you feel about IPv6 in general / from a technical standpoint. It is undeniable that it is superior to IPv4 in functionality.

I prefer IPv4 to v6 for one reason. Easier to remember, at the moment i know my home IP, several server IP's, several different DNS's etc however translate that to IPv6 and i think i will struggle to remember just the one.

So I'm sure a lot of you are hearing about IPv6 right now and personally I'm not really a fan of the addressing system. It is to me very hard to recognize IP addresses as they are so long and random. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were so I'm making this Poll.

Here is an example of an IPv6 address: 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf

And here is an example of an IPv4 Address: 216.239.51.99

Edit:// Also I should mention this is only a topic about what you think of the visual design of the IPv6 IP Addresses not about how you feel about IPv6 in general / from a technical standpoint. It is undeniable that it is superior to IPv4 in functionality.

I'm not really sure why it's an issue to you. Local networks will always have an ipv4 net, the only reason you'd even need to remember an ipv6 address would be if you have friends with static IPs that you connect to directly.

Most web transactions will still go through DNS so it'll still be www.whatever.com

The 'visual design' is just the amount of data, so its kind of like comparing a one with eight sevens. What's the point?

• Like 3

What's the point?

The point is I want to know what people think, that is what forums are for, to discuss things.

like?! What kind of question is that?. Its just a protocol, like it or not, you will have to deal with it, sooner or later

It's a legitimate question. Do people like it or not. I personally do not as they are harder to remember and I wanted to see what other people thought.

I can see the following situation.

Scenario: LAN Party

Guy 1: Hey dude, what's the IP of the server you're on?

Guy 2: Erm, let me check, I'll have to say it out.

*5 minutes later*

Guy 1: Got it!

Rather than a couple of seconds. :p

• Like 9

I can see the following situation.

Scenario: LAN Party

Guy 1: Hey dude, what's the IP of the server you're on?

Guy 2: Erm, let me check, I'll have to say it out.

*5 minutes later*

Guy 1: Got it!

Rather than a couple of seconds. :p

so they're at a LAN party and they've never heard of copy and paste and IM apps eh? awesome...technologically illiterate gamers. Who knew

From my limited knowledge of IPv6 i must say i prefer v4. Especially when you have an address like "3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:00f2" made into "3ffe:::::::f2"or "3ff3:0000:0000:0000:0000:6ff6:0000:00f2" into "3ff3:::::6ff6:0000:00f2" i think that`s correct someone correct me if i`m wrong!

Not going to be easy to remember!

Edit, my mistake there are eight segments not six :blush: I think that`s right now, please correct me again if it`s wrong.....again...

From my limited knowledge of IPv6 i must say i prefer v4. Especially when you have an address like "3ffe:0000:0000:0000:0000:00f2" made into "3ffe:::::f2"or "3ff3:0000:0000:6ff6:0000:00f2" into "3ff3:::6ff6:0000:00f2" i think that`s correct someone correct me if i`m wrong!

Not going to be easy to remember!

Not quite.

The 128-bit IPv6 address can be abbreviated with the following rules:

• Rule one: Leading zeroes within a 16-bit value may be omitted. For example, the address fe80:0000:0000:0000:0202:b3ff:fe1e:8329 may be written as fe80:0:0:0:202:b3ff:fe1e:8329
  • Rule two: A single occurrence of consecutive groups of zeroes within an address may be replaced by a double colon. For example, fe80:0:0:0:202:b3ff:fe1e:8329 becomes fe80::202:b3ff:fe1e:8329

From the wiki

so they're at a LAN party and they've never heard of copy and paste and IM apps eh? awesome...technologically illiterate gamers. Who knew

It's all well and good to make sweeping statements, but you failed to realise that some games do not support copying or pasting.

It's all well and good to make sweeping statements, but you failed to realise that some games do not support copying or pasting.

There are other ways to join peoples servers anyway. Many games/services (Steam/Xfire) will let you join the server your friends are on.

So sure, it could be a problem, but it probably won't.

It's just the notation, we have DNS for a reason (which still applies in the LAN situation)

I mean, I can write an IPv4 address like 0xC0A80001 or an IPv6 address like 8193.1136.7941.41272.549.19455.65440.44114, but it doesn't change the underlying data.

i remember that there was a IEEE suggestion which can shorten any IPV6 address to something under a dozen or so ASCII characters (alphabet letters A to Z, and numbers 0-9, basically), with no colons or anything, so it looks something like a password... imho it makes it easier to remember without the colons... you could share it out with people just as easily as you hand out your wifi key to people who you want to share your wireless connection with

unfortunately it was made just as an April Fool's joke, it really looked like a neat idea

Local networks will always have an ipv4 net, the only reason you'd even need to remember an ipv6 address would be if you have friends with static IPs that you connect to directly.

Untrue. You can't just assign a modem a IPv6 address and provide IPv6 services to the rest. You need IPv6 from end to end, and there is no NAT functionality in IPv6.

When we go IPv6, would we have to get our Internal LAN home or small business networks to shift in these format ??? ****..

I believe with IPv6 every device in your house should get it's own publicly accessible IP address (I believe there will be no need for NAT which was introduced to make IPv4 addressing last a little longer). I guess ISP's will be issuing everyone a /64 block of addresses at least

EDIT: beaten to it... :blush: