Whats the status of your SSD?

Intel all the way. In the long-run, they seem to be the most reliable. G3 coming out soon.

Nope, the most stable one would be Samsung, I had 1 X25-M G2, 1 Kingston-branded X25-M G1 and 1 X25-E failing on me. Intel doesn't hold the record for having the most reliable SSD, Samsung does...

Nope, the most stable one would be Samsung, I had 1 X25-M G2, 1 Kingston-branded X25-M G1 and 1 X25-E failing on me. Intel doesn't hold the record for having the most reliable SSD, Samsung does...

You had 3 SSDs failing on you? Now, that's what I call bad luck.

I wish I hadn't read this thread now, my drives I've had for at least 2 years, they still seem about the same speed as they were. I'm going to have to run this when I get home now and see what the results are :(

Be interesting to see how a Samsung SSD does on this test, nobody has posted one yet...anyone got a Samsung?....

You had 3 SSDs failing on you? Now, that's what I call bad luck.

Yeah :(, I used to set up a RAID 0 X25-M array and then the Kingston-branded crapped out and I have to send it in for warranty. I got it back and put it in one of my laptop now. I rarely use it now...

Be interesting to see how a Samsung SSD does on this test, nobody has posted one yet...anyone got a Samsung?....

Here you go:

Samsung 64GB SLC SATA II (MCCO*) installed on my X61 tablet. I bought it in 2007 and it is still running strong.

Next one is Samsung 256GB PB22J installed in my desktop (bought it in 2009).

The next one is Intel G1 80GB installed in my X200 tablet (bought it in 2009).

The last one is the most recent Kingston-branded G2 80GB installed in my X201 (I sent in my G1 to Kingston for repair and they sent me back this one in 2010).

post-120462-0-11707400-1296222088.png

post-120462-0-49471700-1296222104.png

post-120462-0-74047900-1296222191.png

post-120462-0-88966000-1296222226.png

I wonder why mine has 'powered on' so many times? Maybe Windows is shutting it down when idle to save energy?

post-427-0-11809800-1296222538.png

Here you go:

Samsung 64GB SLC SATA II (MCCO*) installed on my X61 tablet. I bought it in 2007 and it is still running strong.

Next one is Samsung 256GB PB22J installed in my desktop (bought it in 2009).

The next one is Intel G1 80GB installed in my X200 tablet (bought it in 2009).

The last one is the most recent Kingston-branded G2 80GB installed in my X201 (I sent in my G1 to Kingston for repair and they sent me back this one in 2010).

Shame you Haven't run the 3rd (Intel G1) one as long as the Samsungs, would have made for a good comparison, the Intel G1 has had as many power ons but not as much run time, tho I'd say it probably still looks best out of the 4.

I don't know if power ons or run time do more damage...

Neither should do much in terms of the SSD lifetime unless the PSU is surging during power up.

It's usually the number of write cycles that can do it, each flash cell has a finite number of write cycles it can sustain.

I think it's that drives that use SLC flash rather than MLC can sustain a higher number of write cycles but I might be wrong.

Shame you Haven't run the 3rd (Intel G1) one as long as the Samsungs, would have made for a good comparison, the Intel G1 has had as many power ons but not as much run time, tho I'd say it probably still looks best out of the 4.

I bought the 2 x Intel G1 later than the Samsung 64GB and one of them craps out first. What does it tell you ? Intel SSD is not reliable...

Neither should do much in terms of the SSD lifetime unless the PSU is surging during power up.

It's usually the number of write cycles that can do it, each flash cell has a finite number of write cycles it can sustain.

I think it's that drives that use SLC flash rather than MLC can sustain a higher number of write cycles but I might be wrong.

But the SLC has a very early-stage controller so the write-leveling is not as good. Also the Intel one craps out because of the controller ... You can do all these flashy MTBF calculation but it is usually the controller that fails before the flash ...

I bought the 2 x Intel G1 later than the Samsung 64GB and one of them craps out first. What does it tell you ? Intel SSD is not reliable...

It tells me that you were very unlucky with drives.

apart from your I havn't heard of many problems with intel drives, and most of the posts in the thread have been for Intels, all so far good.

Not saying Samsung is bad, we use them at work for some very high end kit.

but I think you've just had bad luck with the Intels.

But the SLC has a very early-stage controller so the write-leveling is not as good. Also the Intel one craps out because of the controller ... You can do all these flashy MTBF calculation but it is usually the controller that fails before the flash ...

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, what controllers do the Samsungs have? indilinx or sandforce?

It tells me that you were very unlucky with drives.

apart from your I havn't heard of many problems with intel drives, and most of the posts in the thread have been for Intels, all so far good.

Not saying Samsung is bad, we use them at work for some very high end kit.

but I think you've just had bad luck with the Intels.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, what controllers do the Samsungs have? indilinx or sandforce?

No, Samsung develops its own controllers. It is actually quite good, even for the 1st generation...

Whoa... after browsing this thread, it makes me think twice before buying an SSD :/ seriously

ive been using my 30GB OCZ Vertex for nearly 2 years and it's fine. However, i just had TWO Hitachi 1TB hd's die on me in a single month. both were <1.5yrs old.

This one has only been in the computer I did the reading on for just over four months. It started out back in Nov 2009 in my laptop (laptop went away), however, the SSD got transferred into my HP. So the use time is probably closer to eight months (actual use).

No, Samsung develops its own controllers. It is actually quite good, even for the 1st generation...

Ah ok, I'll look into them, should be getting a bonus in Feb pay packet so I think it'll go on the SSD and a new graphics card. :D

SSDLife finally finished calculating the life span of my SSD and it looks like my Vertex 2 is gonna last for 9 years,11 months, 27 days (January 18, 2021)

lol same here, mine finally finished calculating today:

post-159052-0-02012800-1296666394.png

• 2 months later...

Well that sucks!

Untitled.png

After a clean install I thought I'd give the drive another run through SSDlife and was pleasantly surprised;

Untitled.png

Make sense of that one :p