Andy Gray sacked by Sky for offensive behaviour

Sky have sacked football presenter Andy Gray with immediate effect.

The pundit had already been disciplined for sexist comments made about female referee Sian Massey before Saturday's match between Wolves and Liverpool.

The 55-year-old and colleague Richard Keys were stood down for Monday's match between Bolton and Chelsea.

And on Tuesday, Sky said they terminated Gray's contract "in response to new evidence of unacceptable and offensive behaviour".

Sky's statement continued: "The new evidence, relating to an off-air incident that took place in December, 2010, came to light after Andy Gray had already been subjected to disciplinary action for his comments of 22 January, 2011."

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said: "Andy Gray's contract has been terminated for unacceptable behaviour. After issuing a warning yesterday, we have no hesitation in taking this action after becoming aware of new information today."

Massey, meanwhile, has been withdrawn from her duties as an assistant referee at Tuesday's League Two game between Crewe and Bradford.

[x]

His comments were completely unacceptable. But I kind of feel sad for him. He at least should have been given a chance for a public apology before being sacked. What does this sacking mean for his future? Will he never get to commentate on a football match again? I can't see other channels hiring him because there will be so much negative reaction from the media.

C'mon Loose Women get away with far worse and go up for awards for it, yet when those two have a bit of banter OFF-air it causes a national outrage.

...While I'm not condoning sexism in any way, what they said was in private and in no way should their job be at risk because of that.

C'mon Loose Women get away with far worse and go up for awards for it, yet when those two have a bit of banter OFF-air it causes a national outrage.

If you haven't noticed, the politically correctness crap has infected UK pretty badly as of late.

Hopefully another station picks him up and gives Sky the finger.

...While I'm not condoning sexism in any way, what they said was in private and in no way should their job be at risk because of that.

Not that very much is actually private these days. If it was captured on camera with a mic on/off air or somebody else heard it or they said it around other people then it can't be claimed as private.

The alleged other offence was from the same day when he was allegedly heard off camera, but within earshot of others who recorded it, saying he wouldn't say no and wouldn't mind giving her one, to one of the other crew at the ground. He is a course bigoted ignoramus who should have been sacked long ago.

Have you heard it though? it wasn't banter at all.

I must be one of the rare people who loved him getting sacked.

Your not allowed to make comments he said, what next chucking people out of wheelchairs and start using racist names?

I'm even more happy he has gone because half the time I got fed up with the twoddle, he can be such a fanboy at times it makes me turn the football off.

I?m not your ?sweet baby?: What?s with sexual harassment in the sports world?

ERIN ANDERSSEN

Globe and Mail Blog

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:24PM EST

So far 2011 hasn?t proven to be the year of enlightenment, at least as far as certain sports figures are concerned.

This week, a British sports channel fired one of its long-time commentators after he and a colleague were caught on camera making sexist cracks about a female linesman prior to a soccer match. After trading quips about the looks of official Sian Massey, Andy Gray sniped, what do women ?know about the offside rule anyway??

Ms. Massey has stepped down from her next match, to let the uproar die down in Britain. It?s not the first time Mr. Gray, who seems just delightful, has been in hot water, and another video soon unearthed of his gentlemanly conduct with a female colleague on set.

But Mr. Gray, and his equally boorish co-worked Richard Keys aren?t alone, sadly - especially, it seems, in the sports world.

Earlier this month, ESPN also fired its play-by-play commentator, Ron Franklin, for comments he made to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards leading up to the Fiesta Bowl. Ms. Edwards, an Emmy-award nominated sports reporter, attempted to join in on a conversation about a local election, only to have Mr. Franklin tell her: ?Listen to me, sweet baby, let me tell you something.?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/im-not-your-sweet-baby-whats-with-sexual-harassment-in-the-sports-world/article1882419/

Got the new FIFA 11-not much new although when my wife went on it, Andy Gray shouted at her 2 put the controller down & get back in the kitchen.

oh god :rofl:

2vrlF.jpg

:unsure: