F1 World Championship 2011 Thread

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Red Bull Renault
    • McLaren Mercedes
    • Ferrari
    • Mercedes GP
    • Lotus Renault GP
    • Williams Cosworth
    • Force India Mercedes
    • Sauber Ferrari
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso Ferrari
    • Team Lotus Renault
    • Hispania Racing Team Cosworth
    • Marussia Virgin Racing Cosworth
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship?

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Michael Schumacher
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Vitali Petrov
    • Rubens Barichello
    • Pastor Madonaldo
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul di Resta
    • Kamui Kobayashi
    • Sergio Perez
    • Sebastian Buemi
    • Jaime Algersuari
    • Other (specify below)

Why i find unfair is alonso norsed it right up, yet still keeps his 6th place while lewis drops to 8th? don't seem fair to me unless i'm missing something :crazy:

Hamilton dropped to 7th because of a screwed up pit stop.

The difference between 6th and 7th was obviously larger than 20 seconds which is why Alonso didn't drop to 7th. The difference between 7th and 8th was less.

Why i find unfair is alonso norsed it right up, yet still keeps his 6th place while lewis drops to 8th? don't seem fair to me unless i'm missing something :crazy:

i agree with you. either both should lose their points (which would be still ridiculous but at least fair and balanced) or both keeping their places.

alonso knew via pitradio that his drs was NOT working so he was warned that he might have a bit more difficulties to pass hamilton and should have been much more patient as hamiltons tires were gone anyway. but like last year where alonso was very close to take out button of the race he didnt use his brain. now imagine that guy in a championship fight against lets say vettel. pathetic! :x

i agree with you. either both should lose their points (which would be still ridiculous but at least fair and balanced) or both keeping their places.

alonso knew via pitradio that his drs was NOT working so he was warned that he might have a bit more difficulties to pass hamilton and should have been much more patient as hamiltons tires were gone anyway. but like last year where alonso was very close to take out button of the race he didnt use his brain. now imagine that guy in a championship fight against lets say vettel. pathetic! :x

You make it sound like Hamilton is some angel :rolleyes:

Let's see, from memory:

- Crashes into Kimi in the pit lane

- Lies to the FIA stewards

- Racing in the pit lane against Vettel

- Purposely delaying Massa's qualifying time so he could stay in the lead

I don't exactly like Alonso but please don't make it seem that Hamilton has never done anything wrong / unsportsmanlike in his life.

You make it sound like Hamilton is some angel :rolleyes:

Let's see, from memory:

- Crashes into Kimi in the pit lane

- Lies to the FIA stewards

- Racing in the pit lane against Vettel

- Purposely delaying Massa's qualifying time so he could stay in the lead

I don't exactly like Alonso but please don't make it seem that Hamilton has never done anything wrong / unsportsmanlike in his life.

no hamilton has done his fair ammount of mistakes as well. but i was talking only about this race. there is really no need to talk about other races imho. we all know that alonso was involved in the biggest formula 1 scandal ever (singapore 2008). that alone would outweight all the listed hami mistakes above easily.

but thats not the topic now. ;)

The only thing that annoys me about those penalties is they've seemed to pick a time penalty that drops Hamilton a place but not Alonso. In effect Alonso wasn't punished at all, when arguably Hamilton was simply racing and Alonso made a huge schoolboy error. It should be the other way round.

The only thing that annoys me about those penalties is they've seemed to pick a time penalty that drops Hamilton a place but not Alonso. In effect Alonso wasn't punished at all, when arguably Hamilton was simply racing and Alonso made a huge schoolboy error. It should be the other way round.

It's because the 20 second penalty is a standard...it's not some random number they pull out of thin air.

16.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an Incident:

a) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping;

b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.

c) A time penalty.

d) A drop of any number of grid positions at the driver's next Event.

e) A reprimand.

f) Exclusion from the results.

g) Suspension from the driver's next Event.

However, should either of the penalties under a) and b) above be imposed during the last five laps, or after the end of a race, Article 16.4b) below will not apply and 20 seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of a) above and 30 seconds in the case of b).

Now I will agree that penalizing someone for "moving too much" is rather stupid but I don't make the rules.

Hamilton was penalised for moving twice down the straight the lap before, he did something similar last year and was given a reprimand, this time it was a penalty. And 20 seconds is a standard penalty as it's meant to be around the same time as a drive-through penalty. Sometimes it effects one driver more than the other, as we saw last year in Valencia where Hamilton's 20 seconds penalty did not effect his race position.

And do yourselves a favour ppl, just ignore mclaren2's incessant rants about Alonso.

It's because the 20 second penalty is a standard...it's not some random number they pull out of thin air.

Now I will agree that penalizing someone for "moving too much" is rather stupid but I don't make the rules.

Regardless I still think its effect has somewhat spoiled a brilliant race.

Hamilton was penalised for moving twice down the straight the lap before, he did something similar last year and was given a reprimand, this time it was a penalty.

for example, they could have picked "d) A drop of any number of grid positions at the driver's next Event."

both cars dropping 5 places next weekend. i just think there should be some balance in it. atm it looks for me like they cheecked the result first, then seen okay if we give both this penalty (20 sec.) then it wont affect alonso but will be bad for hamilton. and THEN decided to impose that penalty.

it really stinks as i have NOT seen a "incident between car number 3 and 5 under investigation" during the race which usually happens.

strange.

Rules are rules..... Hamilton barely moved and he was penalised, watch how Vettel defends its not like he was forced to swerve from side to side.

Oh give it a rest its not as not as bad as you are making out. Take this race as an example the DRS was enough to take the car side by side at turn 1 it doesnt automatically mean they CAN or WILL overtake.

Well it's like DC said in the red button forum, back in the day they had the turbo boost button which made overtaking really easy. Now we look back on those days and say "I wish F1 was like that again". Everyone has the same tools available to them, it's a team sport and whichever team can implement them and strategise the best will win. It was never always about core driving ability.

Wrong, only one driver can use the DRS. KERS is equal, DRS is not.

And that isn't what I meant, so thanks, but I'm not wrong. It's not like one person who is overtaken by DRS on one lap can't do the same thing back the next. The only reason they couldn't is if they're fundamentally slower throughout the rest of the lap.

KERS isn't the same for all cars, btw.

KERS isn't the same for all cars, btw.

Just like front wings, etc, aren't. They have to be the best to design it, but that's up to them, and they can use it whenever they want.

awesome vid !! .. thx :D..

this GP was the first i watched this season..

but i did watch last season.

wow.. KERS is like a mini NITRO BOOST :p

so this means the next F1 2011 game will have all this :p that'll be fun.

i didnt understand the 1.5sec faster rule that applies if you have to overtake.. is that the lap time difference or the difference between you and the car behind you at the end of that lap??

If you are under 1 second behind the person in front you then get to deploy the DRS in the designated zone, you cant use it everywhere.