Skype 5.0 final for Mac OS X released

Basically. The vast majority of the people on their forums gave feedback saying they hated the new layout.

LOL

Why would you like to disagree with costumers this much if you get nothing out of it?! :D

That's effed up! :laugh:

Skype, you're delivering a nice technology, but recently you've delivered so much fail and BS :rofl:

Glassed Silver:win

Just look at the feedback that 400+ people made on their own blog (each comment had to be moderated by staff, so you know it was read): http://blogs.skype.com/en/2010/11/mac.html

In addition, many comments were made on our own forums here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/950944-skype-50-beta-for-mac-os-x-available/

Seems like they ignored a good 90% of the completely valid feedback people gave.

Not "upgrading".

Pretty hilarious they're actually charging you for three way chats as well.

Yeah... it 's rather ridonculous...

iChat is providing this for free loong ago...

Oh and by the way: Wasn't it, that to use multi-AV chat you have to have a certain CPU line-up? :blink:

Glassed Silver:win

So we're all, I think, using Macs that has 1920x1200 or higher resolutions. Some are perhaps using 1440x900. It's many times bigger than what I was using more than ten years ago. 640x480! I don't think that this interface is that big or anything. You don't have to keep your contactlist open all the time. You can hide the main Skype window and just have a floating HUD window with your contacts.

Is this just an excuse to have something to bash? It seems that way.

Now some people want to switch to using Windows 7 because they don't like OS X Lion. Let's just all go crazy!

I'll start; "blippityblopbiiib bzzzzzz".

Now, I'll return to repairing permissions on my harddrive because my Mac is kinda slow.

So we're all, I think, using Macs that has 1920x1200 or higher resolutions. Some are perhaps using 1440x900. It's many times bigger than what I was using more than ten years ago. 640x480! I don't think that this interface is that big or anything. You don't have to keep your contactlist open all the time. You can hide the main Skype window and just have a floating HUD window with your contacts.

Is this just an excuse to have something to bash? It seems that way.

Now some people want to switch to using Windows 7 because they don't like OS X Lion. Let's just all go crazy!

I'll start; "blippityblopbiiib bzzzzzz".

Now, I'll return to repairing permissions on my harddrive because my Mac is kinda slow.

??????????????..________

????????????,.-‘”??????.?~.,

?????????..,.-”???????????..“-.,

????????.,/???????????????..”:,

???????,???????????????????\,

??????./???????????????????..,}

?????../??????????????????,:`^`..}

?????/?????????????????,:”???/

????..??..__?????????????..:`???../

????./__.(?..“~-,_??????????,:`???./

???../(_?.”~,_??..“~,_??????..,:`??.._/

???.{.._$;_??”=,_??.“-,_??.,.-~-,},.~”;/?.}

???..((?..*~_??.”=-._??“;,,./`?./”????../

?,,,___.\`~,??“~.,??????..`?..}????../

????(?.`=-,,??.`????????(??;_,,-”

????/.`~,??`-??????????.\??/\

????.\`~.*-,????????????.|,./?..\,__

,,_???.}.>-._\???????????..|????..`=~-,

?..`=~-,_\_??`\,???????????\

??????.`=~-,,.\,??????????.\

??????????..`:,,?????????`\????..__

????????????.`=-,??????.,%`>?==?

?????????????._\???.._,-%??.`\

???????????..,< `.._|_,-&``................`\

So we're all, I think, using Macs that has 1920x1200 or higher resolutions. Some are perhaps using 1440x900.

There quite a few people out there with a 13-inch MacBook (Pro) or MacBook Air. Even with a 15-inch MacBook Pro the window takes up a large portion of the screen.

Oh and by the way: Wasn't it, that to use multi-AV chat you have to have a certain CPU line-up? :blink:

I *think* (and by thinking I'm remembering this out of my butt) that Intel has some sort of deal with Skype and the 10-way conference thing was limited to them only but that was several years ago.

There quite a few people out there with a 13-inch MacBook (Pro) or MacBook Air. Even with a 15-inch MacBook Pro the window takes up a large portion of the screen.

There's one thing I do not understand and that's why more people don't use Spaces, perhaps I'm used to it because of my "real Unix" background but it feels like a waste. Just throw Skype into another screen and you're done.

There's one thing I do not understand and that's why more people don't use Spaces, perhaps I'm used to it because of my "real Unix" background but it feels like a waste. Just throw Skype into another screen and you're done.

I can think of a couple of reasons:

• Many people honestly don't know it's even there (Spaces is disabled by default)

• People don't understand what it does

• It's a hassle to set up. You have to mange every single application manually which is a pain

• When it has been set up it confuses the hell out of people

• Some applications don't play nice with Spaces

Looking around at college or within my friend group next to no one have Spaces enabled. The ones who do are more tech-savy but do complain about the fact it's a bitch to maintain.

Beyond that it's pretty insane one would have to dedicate an entire desktop to an IM application, no offense. :laugh:

FaceTime is an example of integrating everything into a single window done right.

I use Spaces with joy, btw. And I do have a seperate Space just for Skype. And for iTunes. And for my work-browser and my private browser and Excel and iCal and Transmission...... That's how I roll. :shiftyninja:

I use Spaces with joy, btw. And I do have a seperate Space just for Skype. And for iTunes. And for my work-browser and my private browser and Excel and iCal and Transmission...... That's how I roll. :shiftyninja:

You are what I would consider a more tech-savy user. Most people around here are. I use Spaces as well, but just two. One for full screen applications like Photoshop, InDesign, Final Cut Pro etc. and one for the rest.

I'm just wrote down what I see happening most of the time. Spaces is probably one of the least used major features of Mac OS X.

Spaces is something I least expected from Apple, at least in its current form. It's not enabled by default and it's not really user-friendly either. At least not by Apple standards.

I'll be a very happy man if Apple killed off Spaces, Dashboard and Screen Corners.

Oh yeah let's remove useful features from the OS just because you don't know how to properly use them.

I'm just wrote down what I see happening most of the time. Spaces is probably one of the least used major features of Mac OS X.

Which is a darn shame because teaching people how to properly use virtual desktops would make things oh-so-much easier for a lot of people.

Perhaps we should make a webcast and demonstrate how to use it properly ;-)

Which is a darn shame because teaching people how to properly use virtual desktops would make things oh-so-much easier for a lot of people.

Perhaps we should make a webcast and demonstrate how to use it properly ;-)

That's the problem right there. I didn't have to explain to anyone how Expos? works (for example). I fully understand the barriers people face with Spaces.

That's the problem right there. I didn't have to explain to anyone how Expos? works (for example). I fully understand the barriers people face with Spaces.

One thing Apple could fix is automatic remembering of applications for each VD, once you move it there it'll always open there unless Spaces is off. Manually defining this is a pain, true - but once you have it all set up, it's a breeze.

I'll be a very happy man if Apple killed off Spaces, Dashboard and Screen Corners.

You do know you don't HAVE to use them but they are quite useful for many other folks out there? You can also disable Dashboard completely via a Terminal command. I did that. It's like it has never been there. My roommate uses it every day, though...