Will IE9 be your primary browser when it becomes stable next month?

564 members have voted

1. 1. Will IE9 become your primary browser when it becomes stable next month?

• Yes
    • No

Undoubtedly, currently using IE 8 for Windows 7.

Also undoubtedly; in fact, the IE 9 beta is my default Windows browser today. (7 x64)

Even with Firefox 4 beta 10 and Google Canary also installed, IE 9 remains king of the Windows web browsers (at least on this computer, and in my humble opinion) due to less browser misbehavior, and requiring fewer (in fact FAR fewer) add-ons to fit in with how I browse.

I find it screwey that folks say on the one hand that Firefox sans add-ons is smaller than IE; then they turn around and load it up with add-ons. Sounds like they have replaced code-bloat with add-on bloat. News flash - bloat is bloat, and is best avoided.

An add-on or helper application (for ANY browser; this applies equally across browsers and operating sytems/distributions) must justify itself. Adobe Reader (formerly Acrobat Reader) is usable outside the browser as a PDF proofer (which is what I use it for); the FOSS okular (which performs the same function in most distributions of Linux and the BSDs, as well as Solaris) I use for the same task. (If a Windows version of okular existed with the same ease of use, it could easily displace Adobe Reader; however, none of the other free PDF reader software for Windows is as easy to use, or as pain-free, as Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader generally behaves itself, which is more than can be said of FoxIt Reader.)

I decided to just hold out until the final release and see how it actually compares to the chrome dev channel. Whether I actually use it full-time will mainly reply on performance and extension support (I am sure in due time, popular ones will be ported). Anyone who is not tech savvy and already uses IE at home will absolutely love it, and will see no reason to try other browsers.

Fortunately for me I'm on a Mac, so my decision is set in stone. :laugh:

Only because there is no IE for OS X - otherwise, your decision isn't even set in Silly Putty (which it still couldn't be if you use Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop).

IE7 > Firefox 2.0 > Firefox 3.6 > Chrome v6 > Chrome v9 > Firefox 4.0

Just waiting on it getting out of beta, but will still use chrome here and there. Might use IE9 as third browser for my third e-mail and checking that my sites work fine in IE9 but seems to simple to be my main browser.

Guys...there is an extension system for IE...Speckie (inline spellcheck) and Simple AdBlock weren't developped using voodoo magic.

@soldier1st >> As of IE9 this is no longer a smart thing to say. Really.

I'll still use FireFox, I like the add ons and the features.. FF4 will still be my default browser but I'll use IE for a few things just as I do now.

Now this may sound silly to do for most people but here's why some people will do it:

1) People didn't switch from Firefox to Chrome despite the lack of extensions, so they don't care about extensions, they want speed. No browser will be more responsive for Windows than IE9 when it goes stable.

2) People want security and it looks like IE9 has made changes to keep itself clean.

3) People want HTML5 adoption and IE9 seems to focus on that heavily, with the most advanced hardware acceleration so far.

4) People want stuff like h.264 in their browser for video and Chrome has failed them in keeping it.

5) People are beginning to distrust Google moreso than ever and they want a browser that is fast and is fully compatible with Windows so I can see a lot of people saying IE9 is their best alternative for speed and standards since Firefox is slow and many pages don't work in Opera due to Opera's low marketshare, while IE9 will probably always have the highest marketshare. I think a lot of people will be saying no to Google as the browser wars get more heated with Opera and IE9 getting faster without the privacy concerns.

That's all I can think about so far, so feel free to add more reasons why IE9 would be heavily adopted and tell us if you would switch.

1. IE9 still doesn't get as fast as Chrome, rendering wise, simply put... webkit is superior.

2. They are working on security, it's great, I think it's one the best new things about IE9, but still doesn't have the sandbox feature like Chrome/FF as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong and I will admit I am wrong.

3. HTML5 adoption is not wanted by the people, it's wanted by the web developer/tech junkie crowd. The average person has no clue about HTML5 and the amazing new tags it has :)

4. People, besides the tech crowd barely know about h.264. I actually prefer Chrome not using it, I prefer the open source alternative.

5. Opera doesn't even count as far as I'm concerned, so let's not bring it up, Firefox is the only true competitor of Chrome, but that's losing it's ground as it is. IE9 will be adopted only by Automatic updates, which is great... but needless to say, I rarely see anyone besides the occasional tech "guru" say anything bad about Google. Despite their so called "privacy" issues, which mainly has been brought up because they keep some of your data; which is used to make their ads more relevant to you; Google is still one of the most trusted companies out there. Microsoft has more haters than Google. :) Don't get me wrong, I think IE9 is amazing, but if it wasn't for automatic updates, I barely think anyone would upgrade, or if given the choice, most people would probably choose an alternative. FF or Chrome, either or. IE9 has done well so far in this developing process and I applaud the developing team, but, I don't see the average person really caring. Nor will the average PC user use anything but what is set as default on their PC. Average people don't keep up with the tech world, or software that much compared to us.

And before a lot of flaming gets tossed my way for the Opera comment, I based that just solely on marketshare. IE, FF, and Chrome are the only 3 browsers to really watch because Opera hasn't increased marketshare in how long now? Exactly. :) Yes I am a google fan, so now let the flaming begin haha.

Here is what I think.

A whole lot people here have or use three to four browsers. Not saying all the time but they do or at least have. Those being Firefox, IE, and Chrome. With some using Opera as well. Some do it because they can't decide which one they like the best. Others because they use each one for different things. One may play flash games better and the other may organize tabs better for example. This is what I firmly believe a lot of people on this forum and a whole lot of pc geeks out there do. It doesn't mean they actually install them though. Bet there is plenty people out there who use portable versions. So I think that should count too. Now you don't have to use a browser everyday for this to count. Yes most people may only use one browser constantly or which ever one they do use a lot would count as their main browser. Though the question is do you really need to force yourself to use only one browser ? Nope. Sometimes it is difficult to not think like that though. I know it is for me.

1. IE9 still doesn't get as fast as Chrome, rendering wise, simply put... webkit is superior.

2. They are working on security, it's great, I think it's one the best new things about IE9, but still doesn't have the sandbox feature like Chrome/FF as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong and I will admit I am wrong.

1. I think in terms of pure rendering speed, IE9 might be a match for Chrome simply because of hardware acceleration.

2. IE has "Protected Mode" since IE7, which is essentially sandboxing. On paper, IE and Chrome are the most secure browsers. Now with Firefox sandboxing I believe it's getting there as well.

Agree with mostly everything else you said :D

4) People want stuff like h.264 in their browser for video and Chrome has failed them in keeping it.

5) People are beginning to distrust Google moreso than ever and they want a browser that is fast and is fully compatible with Windows so I can see a lot of people saying IE9 is their best alternative for speed and standards since Firefox is slow and many pages don't work in Opera due to Opera's low marketshare, while IE9 will probably always have the highest marketshare. I think a lot of people will be saying no to Google as the browser wars get more heated with Opera and IE9 getting faster without the privacy concerns.

That's all I can think about so far, so feel free to add more reasons why IE9 would be heavily adopted and tell us if you would switch.

First, I don't actually have a primary browser. I use whatever one is closest to the mouse pointer be it IE9, Firefox 4 or some build of chromium, or in the case of developing a website I use Firefox since it has Firebug. I have been using IE a lot more than lately than I usually do simply because of version 9 being such a vast improvement over previous versions.

Second, my chrome has h.264...I believe they call it Adobe Flash now :p (Also I know what you meant by saying it didn't have h.264 support). Also I don't understand the bogus privacy "issues" that come in to play in any conversation about Chrome.

Things I learned from the BETA,

Pros,

1. Hardware accelerated rendering, done properly.

2. Hardware accelerated video decoding, which other browsers BAAAAWWWW about instead of implement.

3. Nice and simple looking interface at first, lots of options beneath.

4. Tells me what slows things down where.

5. Very nice smooth scrolling, fast rendering.

6. Probably the best looking interface out there.

Cons,

1. Some sites lagg while scrolling

2. I will need to have two version of Adobe Flash installed at the same time.

3. What about adblock? Noscript?

I think Microsoft done a good job in the performance and the w3c standards.

But the ui sucks to me. In terms of design its nothing special. And the tabs is not as smooth as chrome's.

It is still not enough to kill other browsers like chrome, ff4 and opera.

1. I think in terms of pure rendering speed, IE9 might be a match for Chrome simply because of hardware acceleration.

2. IE has "Protected Mode" since IE7, which is essentially sandboxing. On paper, IE and Chrome are the most secure browsers. Now with Firefox sandboxing I believe it's getting there as well.

Agree with mostly everything else you said :D

eh, once Chrome gets hardware acceleration done right, IE will feel as slow as Firefox. Lol. Just messin', IE9 is not the slow-poke of browsers that's for sure. Chrome still just stomps it.

As for Protected Mode, ya... Protected Mode on Windows 7 helps make it up to Chrome's level, but what about Those on Vista/XP/98/95/ME/etc? As far as I know, Protected mode is only at it's best on 7. Let's hope no one is still on 98 or below at this stage in technology though. I certainly hope IE9 does decently though, probably just take marketshare from Firefox though, lol. :laugh: