Yahoo for WP7 proven to use excessive data usage

We still do not have a definitive cause for the “phantom data” problem on a small minority of Windows phone 7 handsets, but Rafael Rivera has been another to point a finger at Yahoo for at least part of it, and he has proof.

He managed to intercept packets traveling between his smartphone and the yahoo servers dedicated to Windows phones, and discovered the connection uses 25 times more data than it should.

He writes:

What I discovered was shocking, although not surprising. Yahoo’s IMAP server (winmo.imap.mail.yahoo.com) does not respond to FETCH requests correctly.

Now, that may not look like much but sandwich the extra bytes with encryption and multiply the size of each chunk by the number of emails in your inbox (or folder)... yeah. Scary. Yahoo is sending ~25 times as much data as it needs to. (This can also be read as: Your phone is downloading ~25 times as much data as it normally would, had you sided with another email provider.)

He suggests as a solution either disable 3G access for mail (Settings –> Cellular –> Data roaming options) or set their yahoo account to download new content only (Yahoo Mail –> Settings –> Sync Settings).

Sources: WMPowerUser, Within Windows

It might be a few other little things, or people forgetting that wifi shuts off a bit after the screen does which, if you have some d/l started on wifi, seems to then continue it on 3G. I think MS needs to add an option in the wifi settings to let you keep the wifi connection ALWAYS ON, for specific networks regardless of the screen being on or off. I mean as it stands right now wifi only stays on if you're connected to power/USB, but meh.

If I'm connected to my home or work wifi and have those set to always stay connected then I don't care if wifi eats a bit more of my battery or not, I'm able to charge the phone anyways, it's not like i'm on the go.