Definitive: Which Linux Distro? (2011)

Definitive: Which Linux Distro? (2011)  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice?

• Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu)
    • Fedora (Fedora: BLAG Linux and GNU) / (Red Hat: CentOS)
    • openSUSE (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop/Server)
    • Debian GNU/Linux (MEPIS Linux, sidux, Damn Small Linux)
    • Mandriva Linux
    • Linux Mint
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware Linux
    • Gentoo Linux
    • CentOS
    • Arch Linux
    • Sabayon Linux
    • Puppy Linux
    • Chakra GNU/Linux

• 1 month later...

I use SimplyMEPIS and love it! Most distros i used in the past were Debian or Debian derivates. Sabayon works nice, so does PClinuxOS. My two "lifeboat" USB systems are SLAX and Puppy.

I guess I just can't choose one!

I love fedora and any redhat based distro. I also like the one called "ultimate edition" as well. Debian is excellent as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps because when you look at the whole, they contribute absolutely nothing other than hype. I have more components contributed by Apple on my Linux system than from Canonical - I'd say that speaks volumes.

And if you're wondering why it bothers me - it bothers me because overhyping Canonical and Ubuntu leaves out the real contributors, the people who actually do something other than just package things. Ubuntu this, Ubuntu that and then when you look at the actual sources you find Redhat, Novell, IBM and various other contributors but practically never anything Canonical.

Contribute nothing! :o

1. Unity

2. Notify OSD

3. As of now canonical developers are working on Wayland

etc etc

Google it!

Arch Linux FTW! :)

• 3 weeks later...

All the distros on my hard drive: backtrack 5, bodhi, and original ubuntu, are based on ubuntu. So I guess it's obv what my favorite is :p

tbh I haven't used many other distros, other than the occasional live cd.

Arch Linux! I do test out other distributions to see what they currently do. But, the ability to keep up to date with all the packages and ease of use made me stick with Arch Linux for the past 2 years. Before switching to Arch, I was with Ubuntu.

Too many options! Open source in general, Linux in particular. Case in point: This poll. 14 choices! Come on.

When you guys make up your mind, let the rest of us know, ok.

I like ubuntu's new ui although Linux mint kde comes a close second cause kubuntu has been rather buggy in my experience and I prefer kde's looks but compiz's animations are smoother.

i tried so many but always came back to ubuntu. so ubuntu for me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Probably will be going to Linux Mint as I'm not too sure I am liking the new Ubuntu Unity UI thingy.

I do have to confess that I haven't gotten as serious with Linux in general as much as I probably should. The only reason I still keep Windows around is for gaming.

• 2 months later...

I have been an openSUSE fan for years but 11.x seems to be getting worse and worse. Ubuntu's Unity UI is pretty bogged and slow so Im with Fedora 16 at the moment and pretty happy. Will most likely try out opensuse 12.1 when its released but Im not holding my breath its been improved significantly.

Fedora for the fast-paced. Debian for the stability and long-term release lovers. Ubuntu's Unity was a deal breaker for me. Unnecessary UI changes.

Ubuntu = the closest thing to a Standard Linux OS -

I like Linux but it has a major flaw and its keeping it a hobby OS because everyone has there hands in it - not always a good thing

Linux can go to the top look what Mac did with Unix

they just had the largest year for mac desktops ever

Just been playing with Fedora 16 for last few hours, has to be the best distro ever! lightning fast and simple.. much better than Ubuntu in my opinion

Just been playing with Fedora 16 for last few hours, has to be the best distro ever! lightning fast and simple.. much better than Ubuntu in my opinion

Gnome or KDE?

Right now I'm back on arch. I jumped ship for a bit and tried the new ubuntu/fedora/suse ect... but I never should have left :) I love pacman and the aur, and even with a full gnome 3 desktop my system is significantly faster.