Windows 7 Firewall does not work

If I open the advanced firewall settings and make a rule to block a program, nothing happens. I tested it with Firefox; I made a new outbound rule to block firefox.exe but I'm still able to browse the internet. :unsure:

If I open the advanced firewall settings and make a rule to block a program, nothing happens. I tested it with Firefox; I made a new outbound rule to block firefox.exe but I'm still able to browse the internet. :unsure:

Silly question, but sure you're doing it right? (And didn't disable any of the services?) It works here. Added an outgoing rule based on program (firefox.exe), all profiles, full scope, and Firefox is dead in the water. No reboots are necessary, it's effective as soon as the rule is in place. I'm also running it set to allow by default; if I wanted to spend most of my time looking at rules I'll install Comodo.

I set the firewall to block all outbound connections, in all 3 profiles, that don't have rules. By default, it does this for inbound connections already. Then, one by one, I set up an outbound rule for each program I want to allow interent access to. Works for me.

It's not that the firewall "does not work". You simply need to learn how to use it effectively.

Have not tried, but if FF already has an "Allowed" rule, would that take privilege over a "Denied" rule ?

Normally in Microsoft denied rules over rule allow privilages. not tried the firewall.

Althought thinking a little more, is the firewall ruled by the order the rules are set?

I set the firewall the block all outbound connections that don't have rules. By default, it does this for inbound connections already. Then, one by one, I set up an outbound rule for each program I want to allow interent access to. Works for me.

So it's not that the firewall "does not work". You simply need to learn how to use it properly.

I know how to use a firewall, and I am setting it properly. Also I tried blocking all outbound connections and adding a rule to allow Firefox, but now Firefox can't connect at all (even though it has the rule allowing it). As for multiple rules there aren't any, I only made one for Firefox but it has no effect.

I tried it on my other computer with Vista and it worked fine, so something must be screwed up on my Windows 7 system. I tried restoring the firewall defaults but no change. I don't know what is wrong, it just doesn't work.

Try running the sfc /scannow command ?

I doubt it is the issue though

Have you ever had a 3rd party firewall installed on there, such as McAfee or Norton ? - Maybe there are remnants left behind causing problems

Try running the sfc /scannow command ?

I doubt it is the issue though

Have you ever had a 3rd party firewall installed on there, such as McAfee or Norton ? - Maybe there are remnants left behind causing problems

I did have something called "Windows 7 Firewall Control" but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. That was a long time ago but maybe it has messed something up. I'll try running the system file checker though.

Check which profile your setting it on to your network profile, theres Home, Work and Public profiles.

I'm setting it for Home which is what my network is.

I did have something called "Windows 7 Firewall Control" but I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. That was a long time ago but maybe it has messed something up. I'll try running the system file checker though.

Yea Im betting that is still messing with your firewall - if you can't remove it properly, you could try installing it again, and using something like Total Uninstaller to get rid of it completlely

Weird, I just tried blocking Filezilla instead and it worked fine. Is Firefox on some exceptions list I'm not aware of?

Edit: I think I've figured it out. It seems instead of blocking or allowing firefox.exe you have to block or allow port 80 instead.

A while back I responded to a post about Ad Muncher, saying how great it was that you could just install it and forget it. Well that's exactly what I did; I completely forgot about it. That was what was causing my problems, once I remembered it and added a rule for it as well everything is working properly (and I feel really silly now). :blush:

A while back I responded to a post about Ad Muncher, saying how great it was that you could just install it and forget it. Well that's exactly what I did; I completely forgot about it. That was what was causing my problems, once I remembered it and added a rule for it as well everything is working properly (and I feel really silly now). :blush:

Happens to everyone sooner or later :D I did similar when I bumped my broadband's upload speed by 2X, and couldn't figure out why none of the machines could actually get the speed. Took me a couple hours to remember about the QoS settings on my router, and having capped upstream speeds. Totally forgot all about it.