Piracy Boosts Anime Sales, Says Japanese Government Study

"A new study seems to confirm what a lot of the Slashdot crowd thinks, and the opposite of what the **AAs say: 'A prestigious economics think-tank of the Japanese government has published a study which concludes that online piracy of anime shows actually increases sales of DVDs. The conclusion stands in sharp contrast with the entertainment industry's claims that "illicit" downloading is leading to billions of dollars in losses worldwide. It also puts the increased anti-piracy efforts of the anime industry in doubt.' More specifically, '(1) YouTube viewing does not negatively affect DVD rentals, and it appears to help raise DVD sales; and (2) although Winny [a popular P2P program in Japan] file sharing negatively affects DVD rentals, it does not affect DVD sales.'"

source: slashdot

EXACTLY! These companies are getting free subtitling, free distribution, and free marketing. As soon as something is announced I usually pre-order it on Amazon or Rightstuf.

Yes! This is exactly right! Not just with that either. For instance, I pirated the entirety of Battlestar Galactica. However, I watched it and liked it, so I bought the blu ray collector's edition. I do the same with music, tv shows, and movies. It helps weed out the crap and support the actual GOOD things that are produced. I save money by not buying the crap, so I can spend it on the good.

Yes! This is exactly right! Not just with that either. For instance, I pirated the entirety of Battlestar Galactica. However, I watched it and liked it, so I bought the blu ray collector's edition. I do the same with music, tv shows, and movies. It helps weed out the crap and support the actual GOOD things that are produced. I save money by not buying the crap, so I can spend it on the good.

+1

source: slashdot

1. The source is not slashdot, the original source is Torrenfreak, a pro-piracy site with an agenda to make piracy seem good. Slashdot is merely one of the sites where the article has been mentioned with a short para, linking to the original article at torrentfreak.

2. The original Japanese report (abstract of it here) says something slightly less piracy-friendly. In particular it says:

This paper examines the effects of the movie sharing site Youtube and file sharing program Winny on DVD sales and rentals of Japanese TV animation programs. Estimated equations of 105 anime episodes show that (1) Youtube viewing does not negatively affect DVD rentals, and it appears to help raise DVD sales; and (2) although Winny file sharing negatively affects DVD rentals, it does not affect DVD sales.

So piracy still has a negative impact on rentals, because it replaces a legitimate form of trying something out (renting it), with an illegal form of the same. Try telling people who run rental places that piracy is helping them and see how they react. So it's not all good news and smiles.

3. The only reason this sort of piracy can be beneficial to sales is if there is some difference between the quality of the pirated copy and the original. Otherwise there is very little incentive for someone to go and buy something they already have an identical copy of. This means that the bulk of piracy, which is pirated games, high-quality mainstream movie rips, and pirated lossless commercial music - which are becoming more common - still have a negative impact overall on sales. And wouldn't you know it, that's what logic would tell you as well: if people can get perfect copies of something for free, why the heck would they pay for an identical copy of it?

/thread.