Apple Should Be Ashamed of Themselves For This.

Yes name brand does count. Also i doubt Apple has tested the memory themselves haha don't make me laugh as if they would test every memory themselves.

lol, no but they would look at the big players and decided who can give the cheapest deal. nothing more to say...

It's not just RAM they do this with. Their line of computers are all overpriced for the same components you find in other computers.

Exactly. Here's a good example of that children:

Apple charges $999.00 for their 13" MacBook laptop. For $100.00 less you can get a superior (did I mention, Superior?) laptop with a hell of a lot better hardware from Asus for $899.00:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7124332&CatId=4938

i don't know why are you making such a big deal out of this, if the people who own macs cared about price/performance they wouldn't be using them in the first place. :laugh:

although the 600 bucks is a bit steep for the ram you have to think of it this way

stock imac

manufatured, assembled and shipped...

custom imac.. manufactured ,, to your specs.. with more hardware then shipped

You seriously think it takes $520 of labour to fit a couple of RAM sticks into a computer? Even the generic ones still have to be assembled.

Dell... 2x4GB

Yep, other OEMs do this, but none to the insane degree that Apple do, ripping people off is just the way they do business, and if you buy into their products it's just something you'll have to deal with.

Yep, other OEMs do this, but none to the insane degree that Apple do, ripping people off is just the way they do business, and if you buy into their products it's just something you'll have to deal with.

How exactly? Me buying an iMac doesn't force me to get memory upgrades from Apple as well.

Wait, did you just figure out today that Apple charges an inordinate amount of money for parts that you can get for much cheaper if you know anything about computers? Awwwww that's so cute. :yes:

How exactly? Me buying an iMac doesn't force me to get memory upgrades from Apple as well.

Nope, it doesn't, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple are rip off merchants either.

Is Hynnix so crap or whatever? They seem to only do B2B bussiness which is why they are a no name? Crucial and Samsung and all that are all big names in the RAM space not cuz they are so much better. But yeah, that much money for RAM is crazy even by Apple standards! :blink: Others are right though, if anyone buys RAM from Apple for that much thinking it's better then whatever. I don't even buy high end RAM or RAM rated higher specs (CAS or MHz) than my system came with for the 0.01% performance boost.

"A fool and his money are easily parted."

There was some write up talking about DDR1333 vs "high end" 2133 RAM on the new Sandy Bridge platform. They showed value ram vs those costing $40 more and it was maybe 2FPS more or something like that. Trying to find the link now but can't at press time ( :shifty: ) I'll see if i can dig it up.

The costs are usually higher for RAM added by the manufacturer because they have to pull a computer from the line, have someone install the memory, and then ship it. It's much easier for them to just ship pre-configured models to the stores.

I'm not saying it's a fair price to pay, but I can see why they do it. As for the quality of their hardware, yes, it's all generic. That said, I doubt many iMacs/Macbooks are getting overclocked, so generic RAM that is reliable is better than nothing. If anything, they probably chose the companies they work with based on their QA policies over their performance. While you don't often get bad RAM sticks, certainly a home builder is much more familiar (and accepting) of the RMA process than Apple ever would be.

I think the reason for the price disparity in this instance is mainly because apple doesn't lower it's prices over time. It probably was a relatively reasonable cost for this type of ram when it the product was first available but apple has not lowered the cost as time has passed.

Like others have said though, there's no reason for the moral outrage when you are completely free to buy your ram elsewhere.

It's just that Apple doesn't find it important enough to deal with upgrading and they intentionally keep the prices up so less people bother them with this. They want you to buy the next generation, not to upgrade the old. Stupid companies. But anyway, it's the capitalism, you chose it.

Nope, it doesn't, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple are rip off merchants either.

They're a commercial company not a charity organization. Don't get me wrong, Apple's BTO options are priced insanely beyond believe. But it's not like you don't have a choice.

Apple overprices everything like they are still on their PPC platform and have their units built with SCSI components. That's why they still can make anywhere from 40-60% profit on their hardware. Their logic boards once they fail cost easily upwards of $600 but Apple likes controlling everything, they are like a cartel and kicked everyone out. (The clone makers back in the g3/g4 days)

It reminds me of the days of IBM being a computer company in the late 80s where if it wasn't IBM you should expect issues and poor quality although the hardware was the same (Philips).

Generic, Hynix memory chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the crap Apple puts on their iMacs and is charging $600.00 for? Are they insane?

Not wanting to come across as though i'm a troll, but it isn't Apple that's insane, it's the people who pay the over the top prices for the extra memory.

A lot of OEMs do that, and with different parts. Dell, for example, rips you off on hardrives. Now I will agree that none of them do it to the extent apple does:

806377523.png

Like can someone please explain to why the Mac Pro motherboard doesn't come with RAID support and you have to pay $700 to get it? :| I mean most motherboards now days come with it supported...

But to the OP, Hynix (merger of Hyundai and LG) isn't some random backalley generic RAM manufacturer..they are the world's second largest and they supply RAM to a number of OEMs such as Apple, IBM (for their server line) etc.

A lot of OEMs do that, and with different parts. Dell, for example, rips you off on hardrives. Now I will agree that none of them do it to the extent apple does:

806377523.png

Like can someone please explain to why the Mac Pro motherboard doesn't come with RAID support and you have to pay $700 to get it? :| I mean most motherboards now days come with it supported...

But to the OP, Hynix (merger of Hyundai and LG) isn't some random backalley generic RAM manufacturer..they are the world's second largest and they supply RAM to a number of OEMs such as Apple, IBM (for their server line) etc.

My girlfriend's Toshiba laptop has Hynix memory chips as well and she didn't pay $1500 for her laptop. Apple is just out of control with their prices. It is ridiculous.

You want to complain that Apple charges so much you must not work in the Pro-IT Field. HP Business charges about $800.00 for a 128MB RAM stick for their Laserjet Line of printers. If you don't purchase that RAM stick through an authorized HP source you void your service warranty. Everyone does it and they do it because they can through service contracts and organizations that REQUIRE you order the RAM or additions through the manufacturer.

They're a commercial company not a charity organization. Don't get me wrong, Apple's BTO options are priced insanely beyond believe. But it's not like you don't have a choice.

They're exploiting people. I am sure there will be some people stupid enough to think that they have to buy Mac memory from Apple.

They're exploiting people. I am sure there will be some people stupid enough to think that they have to buy Mac memory from Apple.

They are not exploiting people. Exploiting would be if the people had no choice. Here they do they can choose not to get an Apple upgrade and get it done by someone else or do it themselves. Or they can just not buy an Apple computer in the first place. Car insurance now that is exploitation - Government mandated allows them to charge whatever they want and they know consumers have no recourse because everyone has to have it by law.

Personally I can install stuff myself in to my own computers but even when I got my MacBook Pro I just went with a BTO option for the drive upgrade and memory. It cost me about £100 more than doing the upgrades myself but I'll make more money working than I would have saved by doing the upgrade myself so *shrug*

Just as there are people stupid enough to think that they have to buy an HP printer to go with an HP computer (yes, I have heard customers who honestly believe this, and other similar things). It is nothing new, so like some other people here have said, I fail to see why people are shocked by it. Ever go to your car dealer for a replacement part? I'll guarantee you that you will pay far more there than going to your local auto parts store and buying a part of equal (or better) quality.

They do it because their customers are usually the smug, rich type that won't buy "cheap junk". They're probably not the type to swap parts in and out with anything but Apple-approved hardware either.

"I don't go to places like Best Buy because I don't have to. I use a MAC!"