[Cursors] Alpha Blended Bluecurve & xFree Cursors

I'd make them, but I don't wanna make the animations manually, not because I'm amazingly but because they won't look as good as the originals. Has anyone got the cursorXP set with the animation?

Edit, ok I've found them but the program I used to make the static ones messed up the animated ones :s I've gotta find another cursor program :s

Possible workaround:

OK, I found a workaround. Go to display properties (right-click desktop, properties), then go to the Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. Under the Troubleshoot tab you should see a Hardware Acceleration slider, it's probably all the way to the right (full). Slide it back one notch to the left, this disables bitmap and cursor acceleration in hardware.

For me the problem has totally disappeared, although window drawing (e.g., maximizing and minimizing windows) is slightly slower, maybe by a second or so though, nothing major. Still, you'd think ATI and Nvidia (I'm assuming it's their fault) would have gotten a pretty good handle on the 2D stuff by now. Oh well, maybe it varies according to driver revisions, I'll keep this in mind next time I update.

I've also made the xFree set animated, check it out at the same link.

just changed to the animated xFree ones you just put up :) looking great!

Thanks alot Dazzla!

Possible workaround:
OK, I found a workaround. Go to display properties (right-click desktop, properties), then go to the Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. Under the Troubleshoot tab you should see a Hardware Acceleration slider, it's probably all the way to the right (full). Slide it back one notch to the left, this disables bitmap and cursor acceleration in hardware.

For me the problem has totally disappeared, although window drawing (e.g., maximizing and minimizing windows) is slightly slower, maybe by a second or so though, nothing major. Still, you'd think ATI and Nvidia (I'm assuming it's their fault) would have gotten a pretty good handle on the 2D stuff by now. Oh well, maybe it varies according to driver revisions, I'll keep this in mind next time I update.

I've also made the xFree set animated, check it out at the same link.

Ai papi.

That trick did it!!!!

I was right... it is a driver issue. Damn ATi.

Thanks Dazz.

I was using these and didnt see any problems. I figured it was because I have a geforce2. but then when I went to drag and drop in windows explorer, when the file becomes transparent as you start to drag it, the black outline appears. just thought I'd add this information for those that thought its a radeon problem.

:edit: still gonna use them :) but my 2000 server laptop doesnt seem to handle alpha cursors at all :(

Edited by TooPackShaker

I was using these and didnt see any problems. I figured it was because I have a geforce2. but then when I went to drag and drop in windows explorer, when the file becomes transparent as you start to drag it, the black outline appears. just thought I'd add this information for those that thought its a radeon problem.

:edit: still gonna use them :) but my 2000 server laptop doesnt seem to handle alpha cursors at all :(

Did you try the hardware acceleration thing?

ok the hardware acceleration thing did work for the xp box. and tho I dont like the idea of giving up acceleration, that setting is only for 2d correct? also even going back further didnt fix them on the laptop.

Someone wanna explain this?

This thread contains Cursors stolen from me, Mr. Black. I know this because the NO Cursor I replaced with a different one - it is not from Redhat.

This author did not ask for permission to re-distribute the cursors and is claiming credit for them.

These are the PNGs straight out of Redhat apart from the "NO" cursor which is the Delete icon out of redhat :rofl:

The xFree cursors do have a problem. The 'working in background' cursor has a problem with the alpha channel.

Try it over a black background (or load it up in an editor. BTW ArtCursors is heaven for creating cursors, much better then MicroAngelo or IconForge). You will notice a weird grey glow around it instead of a black shadow (which should be invisible.... check that with the default cursor how it is supposed to look).

Anyways, I re-animated the 'busy' and the 'working in background' cursor. The first because it had a weird bevellish feeling over it.... which is not in the original set. The second because of the glow.

I think it looks a bit better this way... maybe just a personal taste.

Credit ofcourse goes to the original creator of this set. I just (re-)animated some cursors.

animation_fix.rar

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this is a pretty old thread but WOW I just found these and I looooove them!!! The XFree set is so pretty. Thanks a bunch

Especially the xFree cursors are so great. I am still using it. This thread dates from August 31 2003, so that means I am using these cursors for 7 months now.... that is a record :happy:

(a visual style gets trashed in less then 3 days normally, I'm very surprised that the xFree cursors as still going strong on my system)

Hehe, this is a nice resurrection :D, i wasn't here when this cursors were released :D they are so nice, i just downloaded and installed them

and off topic

Mel Did you changed you username? weren't You Saranity?