Netstumbler

Hello guys,

I have a job tomorrow which I am gonna look for 5 access points and two routers and re-configure them but the problem is here that the customer doesn't know where they are so I have to use something like Netstumbler to find them, but I was wondering if there is someone else which knows a better tool. Any suggestions? I'm greatful for your help/suggestion. :)

InSSIDer is good as well

Or if you have an android phone there apps on there, one which springs to mind is wifi analyzer. There are also plenty for the iPhone but I can't think of a name for one right now.

how is possible the guy don't know where their computers are?

I've run into this problem before , He has to look for routers/access points not computers. Many companies have them hidden in the ceilings attached to steel beams and what not. Its not always easy to know where they are located in a ceiling.

he didn't say he doesn't know where the computers are, he stated the customer does not know where the accesspoints are ;) completely different thing - they could be above a drop ceiling - in a closet, etc.

inSSIDER could help finding the area they are in by signal strength -- but still could be a fun game of hide and seek ;)

Depending on the switches used in the location, if managed or smart you should be able to tell which port they are connected to by mac address of the accesspoints nic, normally 1 off from the radio's mac. Then just need to follow the wires ;)

Have fun!

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look at it now and hopefully I manage to find them tomorrow.

I've run into this problem before , He has to look for routers/access points not computers. Many companies have them hidden in the ceilings attached to steel beams and what not. Its not always easy to know where they are located in a ceiling.

+1.

he didn't say he doesn't know where the computers are, he stated the customer does not know where the accesspoints are ;) completely different thing - they could be above a drop ceiling - in a closet, etc.

inSSIDER could help finding the area they are in by signal strength -- but still could be a fun game of hide and seek ;)

Depending on the switches used in the location, if managed or smart you should be able to tell which port they are connected to by mac address of the accesspoints nic, normally 1 off from the radio's mac. Then just need to follow the wires ;)

Have fun!

Hehe, true, hide and seek. They have a sweet girl that works there so I may play hide and seek with her. lol ... And I really hope to find them easily because it's a very larg company and the access points and routers could be ANYWHERE, and no one knows where they might be because they have lost the wireless network documentation. Thank you both! :)

Netstumblr WILL NOT run on Vista OR 7.

Yes, and that is another reason why I wanted something else. :)

Hello again,

IS it possible to find the model of accesspoint/router via MAC?

For ex: D-Link Corporation xx.xx

Before I do anything they wanna find out what kind of access point they have. I googled a little bit but I couldn't find out the answer I was looking for. I could via UPnP but it's turned off. :/ .. So I thought if there is a website or if there is an app that shows the model would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello again,

IS it possible to find the model of accesspoint/router via MAC?

For ex: D-Link Corporation xx.xx

Before I do anything they wanna find out what kind of access point they have. I googled a little bit but I couldn't find out the answer I was looking for. I could via UPnP but it's turned off. :/ .. So I thought if there is a website or if there is an app that shows the model would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Probably not too hard.

http://wintelguy.com/index.pl

http://www.macvendorlookup.com/

Thanks, very great sites!

I get the Vendor via inSSIDER. What I wanted is the model number too. It shows D-Link Corporation, but doens't show the model number. I don't even know if there is an application that can do that.

Have a look on Nirsofts site. There are tools for both the jobs you need to do.

Thanks for the suggestion, this was helpful. :) .. But I still couldn't find the model number so I said, there is no application that can do that, so I have to start search for them. I found 10 access points which were located in all 4 floors.

If u can get on the network u can try hitting the web interface and get the logon. Sometimes the logon has the model. If they are part of the network you could do a search hopefully they have the user and pass to authenticate. If it takes more than 10 min to find them u are doing something wrong or they aren't on the network.

If u can get on the network u can try hitting the web interface and get the logon. Sometimes the logon has the model. If they are part of the network you could do a search hopefully they have the user and pass to authenticate. If it takes more than 10 min to find them u are doing something wrong or they aren't on the network.

Already fixed. :) .. I searched for them after I told them that there is no applicaiton that can find such things. I searched for them and I found them, unfortunately I have to reset them all. :/

MAC Addresses would just contain vendor ID. You need a GPS device to log where the APs are but if they are in the same building the accuracy would not be great for you.

MAC Addresses would just contain vendor ID. You need a GPS device to log where the APs are but if they are in the same building the accuracy would not be great for you.

I have access to a gps unit that provides accuracy within 3 inches. Unfortunatly it is military grade and isn't cheap. Try to find a covered shut off to a gas main with a standard +-15 foot car gps when a building is burning down or about to explode.

There was an andriod app that kinda had you spin in a circle and give you relative distance / direction a WAP was... but can't remeber the name.

Reviews indicated it worked somewhat.

There was an andriod app that kinda had you spin in a circle and give you relative distance / direction a WAP was... but can't remeber the name.

Reviews indicated it worked somewhat.

Yeah, I've heard that though I want apps for iPhone if you know. :)

Kismet ;)

I can't find such a thing called "Kismet" :( ... Any other suggestion?

I can't find such a thing called "Kismet" :( ... Any other suggestion?

:blink: Come on Really??? How and the F did you look for it?? Sure and the hell did not type it into any of the major search engines.. I can not find a search engine that does not return their site in the first hit!

post-14624-0-05914800-1299169035.jpg

post-14624-0-62437800-1299169045.jpg

post-14624-0-57480900-1299169054.jpg

post-14624-0-48482600-1299169065.jpg

post-14624-0-67965300-1299169073.jpg

This is one of the things that just drive me NUTS!!! Please point out how you could not find this?? I am completely flabbergasted to how you could of possibly searched for this and come up empty...

:blink: Come on Really??? How and the F did you look for it?? Sure and the hell did not type it into any of the major search engines.. I can not find a search engine that does not return their site in the first hit!

post-14624-0-05914800-1299169035.jpg

post-14624-0-62437800-1299169045.jpg

post-14624-0-57480900-1299169054.jpg

post-14624-0-48482600-1299169065.jpg

post-14624-0-67965300-1299169073.jpg

This is one of the things that just drive me NUTS!!! Please point out how you could not find this?? I am completely flabbergasted to how you could of possibly searched for this and come up empty...

easy. he was using that new search engine called about:blank