New Unity Feature

iuerg87yerg879e0rg9erugjer

hmmm, i wonder they got the idea for that from... :shiftyninja:

Flawed

hmmm, i wonder they got the idea for that from... :shiftyninja:

I never noticed that in OSX. I thought it had static scrollbars. I could be wrong though as I rarely use it. Regardless, it's a neat idea. So If it was first in Apple's OS, kudos.

XerXis

meh, havn't used scrollbars much since mice have scrollwheels. And now that almost all trackpads are multitouch I see even less use for them

Shaun N.

Actually looking really nice

CPressland

I never noticed that in OSX. I thought it had static scrollbars. I could be wrong though as I rarely use it. Regardless, it's a neat idea. So If it was first in Apple's OS, kudos.

Mac OS X Lion Feature. Scrollbars just disappear when not using them. Scroll Around documents with multitouch, not clicking a down button.

post-180771-0-55678100-1299244526.png

Growled

Regardless of where the idea came from, it's a neat idea. Unity may not be so bad after all.

ncc50446

Wow is that ugly...I don't much like it...Kind of a neat idea...But I don't like the looks of it..

.Neo

Always funny to see when a random Linux distro copies stuff from Apple they just don't get it done quite right.

Growled

After playing with Unity for a few days I found it utterly terrible.

remixedcat

very awkward scrollbar. not sure if I like it.

e-berlin.org

Mac OS X Lion Feature. Scrollbars just disappear when not using them. Scroll Around documents with multitouch, not clicking a down button.

Not officially released yet (it might not even exist in the final), so Linux guys will be the first, sorry. :whistle:

remixedcat

I have to use scrollbars... I got a trackball mouse. I do have the YaSS extension for FF and I love how it makes my arrow keys have a nice smooth scroll. love the bouncy effect at the end of the page. I highly recommend this addon!

The_Observer

what is with all the grey!!!

e-berlin.org

what is with all the grey!!!

What about it? You just go to Control Center and select another theme, it's easy.

Syanide

meh, havn't used scrollbars much since mice have scrollwheels. And now that almost all trackpads are multitouch I see even less use for them

then you should be thrilled about this because now you won't have to see any of them :p

Cool feature all in all.

• Like 1
Syanide

Another actually useful feature made it in today: sound menu has a microphone slider when using Skype for instance.

Screenshot-1_thumb.png

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/natty-sound-menu-adds-microphone-slider-for-skype-calls/

Btw I say we keep this thread as a general Unity discussion place and to keep progress, I'll speak for myself when I say Unity is looking way more interesting in light of recent Gnome 3 changes.

Growled

Btw I say we keep this thread as a general Unity discussion place and to keep progress, I'll speak for myself when I say Unity is looking way more interesting in light of recent Gnome 3 changes.

Not to get too off topic, but what changes might that be?

Syanide

Window buttons and how workspaces behave.

Syanide

Newest updates:

-Dock is now resizable (this was suggested by some guy about two weeks back, landed officially now)

-Alt+F2 run dialog now invokes Dash in a mode for commands, has command history

-tweaks to applications and files launcher, Dash

-Firefox got global menu support

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/unity-364-brings-resizable-launcher-alt.html

Stetson

Not officially released yet (it might not even exist in the final), so Linux guys will be the first, sorry. :whistle:

Except that they debuted in the iPhone in 2007. So at best they can claim to be the first to implement iPhone-style scroll bars on a desktop OS, not exactly original still :p

HankBukowski

Except that they debuted in the iPhone in 2007. So at best they can claim to be the first to implement iPhone-style scroll bars on a desktop OS, not exactly original still :p

Why it should be? Originality just for the sake of it is almost never a good idea, in fact it's quite idiotic.

Look at Apple, they dont invent anything, but they take an already existing concept and refine it to new levels.

Stetson

Why it should be? Originality just for the sake of it is almost never a good idea, in fact it's quite idiotic.

Look at Apple, they dont invent anything, but they take an already existing concept and refine it to new levels.

The timing just seems interesting. They've been known to be in OS 10.7 since last fall, and then Ubuntu suddenly decides that they're a great addition to their OS :D

Not that they shouldn't have them, but having them isn't really a big deal.

Prince Charming

Aww, Ubuntu is growing up. It's gone from being lots of ugly stuff to a consistently ugly interface. I guess that's progress by some definition.

remixedcat

meh. I'll load up a vmware instance and try it..... someday...