• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xcode 4.0.1 update released

+virtorio    3,121

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/xcode/id422352214?mt=12

Just noticed an update to Xcode (4.0.1) has just been released.

And it looks like it downloads the full installer (not a differential update), as it's a sizable 4.5 GB.

0sit0    165

thanks for the heads up... it doesn't show on my App Store because I use the developer one. I guess they are too greedy to let us get free updates once the membership runs out lol.

.Neo    1,834
And it looks like it downloads the full installer (not a differential update), as it's a sizable 4.5 GB.

That's insane.

PyX    140

Apple?s App Stores have never featured incremental updates though, they always make you download the whole application.

.Neo    1,834

Apple?s App Stores have never featured incremental updates though, they always make you download the whole application.

Your point being?

RottGutt    80

Your point being?

Point is that having to re-download an entire app, ESPECIALLY one this size, every time it is updated is epic fail. Waste of bandwidth, waste of money for people on limited bandwidth plans, and just plain stupid.

.Neo    1,834

Point is that having to re-download an entire app, ESPECIALLY one this size, every time it is updated is epic fail. Waste of bandwidth, waste of money for people on limited bandwidth plans, and just plain stupid.

I already said that, so I agree...

That's insane.

I just don't understand PyX' comment.

iKenndac    98

I just don't understand PyX' comment.

He's saying that every single other app on the App Store has to be re-downloaded in full each update, so it's not an enormous surprise that it's the same with Xcode.

Additionally, they haven't done incremental updates for years and years, so it's no surprise from that point of view either.

Stupid, yes. Surprising? No.

+virtorio    3,121

Anyone have problems updating this?

First time around the download failed. Then the AppStore thought the Update was installed and I couldn't download it again. So I uninstalled Xcode (using the uninstall script) then the AppStore proclaimed that I needed to re-buy it. Clicking the Buy button told me "4.0.1 was already installed but was not purchased though the AppStore" and it wouldn't let me re-download.

Only after deleting all cache items for the AppStore and (for some reason) deleting a backup of Install Xcode (for v 4.0) I made in my downloads folder that the AppStore would let me download it again. After downloading + installing the Developer folder was empty. Running the install again right away then properly installed it.

Got to say, that's a pretty lousy installation experience.

I know, but it would be nice (seeing as it's so large).

.Neo    1,834

He's saying that every single other app on the App Store has to be re-downloaded in full each update, so it's not an enormous surprise that it's the same with Xcode.

Additionally, they haven't done incremental updates for years and years, so it's no surprise from that point of view either.

Stupid, yes. Surprising? No.

In a sense it is surprising since Xcode is being distributed in a fairly unique way: By downloading a DMG and installing it manually rather than it being installed through Xcode. You're right though that it isn't surprising since we have had to download the entire DMG for every single update. That doesn't make it any less insane though.