Buy WP7 phone now or wait? Nokia?

Hi guys, I would like to say that I am impressed of the new WP7 and I want to buy a phone, specificly the HTC Mozart. But I am wondering if it is ok to buy now or should I wait to see what will come up with the Microsoft/Nokia deal.

Kindly advice me on what to do.

Note: Just wondering, when the first Microsoft/Nokia phone will be release?

I use Optimus 7, and it is :wub: beautiful :wub: sexy :wub: functional :wub: my little love. :laugh: It performs great, and it is even greater with the NoDo update. I may be a little biased, a little more actually, but I'll gladly recommend it! :)

I think the first Nokia WP will arrive in 2012.

Tough call, but we don't really know when Nokia will be coming out with their phones, other than estimates. Honestly, if you want a WP7 device now, I'd go for it. The current devices are just fine.

I sold my Samsung Focus and I'd recommend staying away until they sort this mess out. The update system is atrocious and while growing quickly, the app selection is still weak.

If you can wait, you will (obviously) get better hardware but if you need a phone now - Samsung Focus or HTC HD7/HD7S, HTC Mozart or Trophy are top notch.

I sold my Samsung Focus and I'd recommend staying away until they sort this mess out. The update system is atrocious and while growing quickly, the app selection is still weak.

The lack of updates don't make it a bad phone. It still holds its own against likes of iPhone 4 or Galaxy S androids. Sure there aren't that many apps number wise but chances are - WP7 has enough apps for most people.

I bricked my Samsung Focus while updating and go back to my HD2 with Android. Didn't even bother to get it fixed. Good riddance anyways.

It's your own fault, right? Your post implies that WP7 update bricked your phone - which it did not.

It'll be a long time till Nokia put out a phone I figure and jumped the ship couple weeks ago and bought an unlocked Omnia 7 for 340 on ebay. I'll prolly sell it for 200 when the Nokia comes out. WP7 is a pleasure to use for sure. I have no regret jumping in now instead of waiting for Nokia. The Omnia is a piece of work I'll tell you that.

I don't think Nokia will take that long. They've said they already have work going on, so I expect them to have at least 2 WP out for holiday 2011 along with another round of new devices from HTC, Samsung and even LG. If you can wait you'll get better hardware sure, and you'll go right to v7.5 or w/e Mango ends up being.

I love my samsung focus... I wouldn't bother waiting, I feel like MS will support their first gen phones for a while still.

Don't hold your horses. I don't think WP8 will support first WP7 generation phones.

Nokia make top-notch hardware, I would wait till Nokia release something.

I don't feel it so.

So far Nokia is using poor cpu and low resolution screens. All the rest are just average except maybe their cameras are better. But Samsung and Sony Ericsson are good in those too. At least Samsung has better cpu and screens.

Really comes down to if you want a device now or not?

Obviously if you wait, you will have a broader range of handsets and more features will be embedded in the platform as will even more apps. Maybe even a smoother update process by then.

As for handsets the Samsung Omnia 7 is the best WP7 device currently available.

Don't hold your horses. I don't think WP8 will support first WP7 generation phones.

Too early to say that, I think if they will, because look at Apple and it's iPhone/ iPod Touch OS updates. I think first gen phones will get the option to install WP8 though some support for things won't work so the choice will be up to you. At the most MS can sell it directly to us for a small price like Apple does to touch users and leave it at that.

I don't feel it so.

So far Nokia is using poor cpu and low resolution screens. All the rest are just average except maybe their cameras are better. But Samsung and Sony Ericsson are good in those too. At least Samsung has better cpu and screens.

Doesn't matter, WP7 has strict hardware requirements so the phones will run silky smooth and look good no problem. Only thing we need to be concerned about is what new features etc Nokia will bring to the table to separate their WP7 phones from all the others. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Doesn't matter, WP7 has strict hardware requirements so the phones will run silky smooth no problem. Only thing we need to be concerned about is what new features etc Nokia will bring to the table to separate their WP7 phones from all the others. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

I think Nokia will push for Blue Tooth file transfers, though I more or less expect this to come to WP at some point on it's own. Over here in Europe people share pics, vids, music from cell phone to cellphone via blue tooth, something WP7 right now doesn't offer for whatever reason (maybe to protect zune content?). It's needed though to push WP more to this target market.

If you can wait, you will (obviously) get better hardware but if you need a phone now - Samsung Focus or HTC HD7/HD7S, HTC Mozart or Trophy are top notch.

The lack of updates don't make it a bad phone. It still holds its own against likes of iPhone 4 or Galaxy S androids. Sure there aren't that many apps number wise but chances are - WP7 has enough apps for most people.

When you are missing many features and developers are crying out for more API access and options, the lack of updates make it not even close to "holiding it's own". Having owned an iPhone 3GS, a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S on AT&T), the Focus and now an iPhone 4 I have to say, no, it doesn't hold it's own. It's passable but both Android and iPhone are much better experiences. I excused it for a while, but shipping without copy/paste or decent navigation, shipping without proper access to Skydrive (and not getting DropBox to support your platform even still) and the lack of so many major apps makes Windows Phone 7 a second rate experience. Windows Phone 7 holds it's own against a late 2008 iPhone or a late 2009 Android, but seeing it's 2011, this isn't excusable.

One need only look at the tap dancing post they make on the official blog, the glaring lack of sales figures and the steady stream of excuses to see buying into Windows Phone 7 at this point is a bad investment. Maybe down the road they will fix it, but having lived with one from launch day until about 2.5 weeks ago, I would not recommend anyone invest in WP7 until it's clear MS has their act together.

When you are missing many features and developers are crying out for more API access and options, the lack of updates make it not even close to "holiding it's own". Having owned an iPhone 3GS, a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S on AT&T), the Focus and now an iPhone 4 I have to say, no, it doesn't hold it's own. It's passable but both Android and iPhone are much better experiences. I excused it for a while, but shipping without copy/paste or decent navigation, shipping without proper access to Skydrive (and not getting DropBox to support your platform even still) and the lack of so many major apps makes Windows Phone 7 a second rate experience. Windows Phone 7 holds it's own against a late 2008 iPhone or a late 2009 Android, but seeing it's 2011, this isn't excusable.

One need only look at the tap dancing post they make on the official blog, the glaring lack of sales figures and the steady stream of excuses to see buying into Windows Phone 7 at this point is a bad investment. Maybe down the road they will fix it, but having lived with one from launch day until about 2.5 weeks ago, I would not recommend anyone invest in WP7 until it's clear MS has their act together.

I have owned iPhone 3G, have a Android 2.2 device (HTC Aria). The lack of navigation on iPhone is same as WP7 - you have paid apps to support it. C&P is almost here.

Compared to Android, WP7 is not a second rate experience by any standard except number of apps. Media related tasks on Android are pathetic.

I don't see anything in iPhone 4 that ranks it higher than either Android or WP7 - except number of apps? Facetime is probably the only stand out feature. I personally feel that S-AMOLED screens on Android/WP7 are actually better than the high-res LCDs that iPhone uses.

IIRC, there is a drop box app for WP7.

I have owned iPhone 3G, have a Android 2.2 device (HTC Aria). The lack of navigation on iPhone is same as WP7 - you have paid apps to support it. C&P is almost here.

Compared to Android, WP7 is not a second rate experience by any standard except number of apps. Media related tasks on Android are pathetic.

I don't see anything in iPhone 4 that ranks it higher than either Android or WP7 - except number of apps? Facetime is probably the only stand out feature. I personally feel that S-AMOLED screens on Android/WP7 are actually better than the high-res LCDs that iPhone uses.

IIRC, there is a drop box app for WP7.

You're right, there's 2 or 3, maybe more now, dropbox apps in the WP7 marketplace. It'd be good if people stayed informed before they rant off about something.

You're right, there's 2 or 3, maybe more now, dropbox apps in the WP7 marketplace. It'd be good if people stayed informed before they rant off about something.

It would be better if you didn't assume people were uninformed, those apps are all second rate experiences compared to the first party DropBox app. A couple of them are really shoddy.

I understand you guys are supporting your platform, but as of now MS dropped the ball, don't applaud them for it, demand better. This isn't what the promised in the run up to launch, and it wasn't what they promised in December, January or February, and they are still apologizing for March.

I bricked my Samsung Focus while updating and go back to my HD2 with Android. Didn't even bother to get it fixed. Good riddance anyways.

Install WP7 on your HD2? :D

It would be better if you didn't assume people were uninformed, those apps are all second rate experiences compared to the first party DropBox app. A couple of them are really shoddy.

I understand you guys are supporting your platform, but as of now MS dropped the ball, don't applaud them for it, demand better. This isn't what the promised in the run up to launch, and it wasn't what they promised in December, January or February, and they are still apologizing for March.

The point is that there are dropbox clients, thus a official one can be made by dropbox itself, how about asking them why they haven't done so yet?

The point is that there are dropbox clients, thus a official one can be made by dropbox itself, how about asking them why they haven't done so yet?

They already stated "why", the have no faith in WP7 and MS clearly failed to to generate a clear reason why they should feel any different. The more glaring issue is the lack of proper connectivity to Skydrive, along with a proper first party Messenger client. MS would have been much wiser making sure the core experience was better and launching six months later, turns out launch/holiday sales were flat anyway so all launching early did was deliver another black eye. Taken as individual pieces the missing parts of WP7 and it's surroundings don't seem bad, but put them all together and this phone OS is missing stuff others have had for years. The OS even lacks unified search within your own handset? Outside of a unique home screen and Xbox Live connectivity, at this point, Windows Phone 7 is an "also ran" phone OS and on it's way to footnote status.