How to Switch from IDE to AHCI without repairing/reinstalling windows

Steven P.

I can't recall having any problems after I changed the registry, in fact I think after a BIOS upgrade the AHCI settings were changed back to IDE and Windows booted fine, I changed it back to AHCI manually afterward.

kevpc

ok. tnx for that.i am assuming also that the AHCI drivers that go in originally are from windows. do the Intel ones go in and replace the windows ones or go in as well as the windows ones and that there are no conflicts?

Steven P.

They are included in Windows (Intel AHCI drivers) there really isn't a need to install the ones from Intel site or the Motherboard CD, unless you are doing things like RAID etc..

kevpc

again, tnx for info. saw elsewhere about these 2 keys. are changes needed to them as well, if they are present? if not present, are they needed? how are they added if missing?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStor

Steven P.

A google saearch seems to indicate they are related to RAID setups; If you don't have them then you don't need them ;)

kevpc

many tnx for your time answering my questions. appologise for being a pain. just trying to ensure that i do all necessary steps without missing anything out (or messing anything up, ha ha!) only 1 sata lll hdd

just checked in regedit and got these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\pciide=0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci=3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV=3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStor=not present anyway

will change the '3' to '0' for the 2 keys above. assume will just leave the IDE '0' as it is?

kevpc

ok. so done as instructed. all went ok as far as i can see. many tnx for help guys. much appreciated. must admit, not seen any change in speed of drive tho'. did see that the system specs not showing at first boot now. only shows the hdd, not even the rom drives. dont know why that is?

other thing is, got a notification in system trya about the hdd now. anyone know how to get rid of that please?

kevpc

found the tweak further back in this post. that worked also, so many tnx for the info.

next questions are, if you guys dont mind:

how to tell if the NCQ? is working?

what advantages/disadvantages would there be if i had only changed the PCH SATA Control Mode to AHCI and left the GSATA3 Ctrl Mode and eSATA3 Ctrl Mode at IDE?

kevpc

further info guys and more advice needed, please. everything seems to be ok. however, although both my dvd burner and my bluray burner show up under device manager and after opening 'My Computer', they do not show in the left hand pane. is that because of the 3 changes to AHCI from IDE i made, or because of the change to stop the notification showing by the system clock? would like them both to show where they should, so what do i change back to achieve that without affecting the sata lll hdd?

also, since doing the IDE to AHCI change in the bios, ATI works. i thought it was the other way round, ie, had to change to IDE if having problems with ATI. opinions?

BeerFan

no replies so far. anyone able to advise me, please?

Yes, post your question in the Harware Hangout forum instead of inside a guide. You'll get more replies that way. (Y)

• 1 year later...
enghong

My SATA drive was installed with Windows Server 2012 with IDE mode. The blue screen will appear with message:

"Your PC ran into a problem and need to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

I did follow the above instruction. But I can not find the "Msahci" on registry. I did created one but the same problem appear. Please advice what else I can do to switch to AHCI.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
pastorskip

I have window 8 installed and could not find Msahci as indicated in step 5 do you know of a way to switch from IDE to AHCI without reinstalling windows for Windows 8?

• 8 months later...
bigpygme

when your directions say "When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them." , Warwagon, how is Win 7 supposed to find the AHCI drivers to load them ? 

Win 7 does not have native AHCI drivers for lots of MB's ... like my Asus from 2005.  (Hey, it was a VERY nice MB then !! )

i shifted the regedit values and changed the BIOS settings from IDE to AHCI.  i also tried the MS Fix-It route.  Nada.  it doesn't have the drivers, so it doesn't see the drives.  i'm quite sure the drivers have to go into Win on install.  (i suppose if i could figure out where in the Win folders they go, i could dump them there ... so i tried that.  put them in System32 and Sys64Wow [or whatever] ... still no go). 

i would LOVE to know if i'm missing an easy solution !!  i'm betting i'm not, though ...

Michael

Eric

when your directions say "When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them." , Warwagon, how is Win 7 supposed to find the AHCI drivers to load them ? 

Win 7 does not have native AHCI drivers for lots of MB's ... like my Asus from 2005.  (Hey, it was a VERY nice MB then !! )

i shifted the regedit values and changed the BIOS settings from IDE to AHCI.  i also tried the MS Fix-It route.  Nada.  it doesn't have the drivers, so it doesn't see the drives.  i'm quite sure the drivers have to go into Win on install.  (i suppose if i could figure out where in the Win folders they go, i could dump them there ... so i tried that.  put them in System32 and Sys64Wow [or whatever] ... still no go). 

i would LOVE to know if i'm missing an easy solution !!  i'm betting i'm not, though ...

Michael

You could force-install the AHCI drivers before switching the BIOS from IDE to AHCI but there is no guarantee your system would boot afterwards. (In other words, attempt at your own risk!)

Sometimes this can be accomplished by copying the driver files to the HD, uninstalling the current drivers from Device Manager, then rebooting and pointing the driver prompts at the folder.

• 2 weeks later...
etonmusikero

Hello masters..

My rig is running on Win 7.. my motherboard is ASROCK 775Twins 2.0

At present, and the only running setup that I have is the ATA Combination Mode: 1 SATA HDD (at SATA 1 only) and 2 IDE Optical Drives (Secondary Master and slave only)

Unfortunately, one of my optical drives 'retired' so I bought a new one. I was not aware up until I reached home that what I bought is a SATA optical drive.

So I was thinking, if I'm going to add a SATA Optical Drive, ATA Combination Mode will not do the trick. So I disabled this option and

76gj.jpg

etonmusikero

And set the sata class code to AHCI..

Btw, I followed the tweaking that you posted here: regedit then setting the start value for both to 0 zero but to no avail..

Next thing I thought off is why not disable the on-board IDE Controller.. Here's what happened:

0fma.jpg
etonmusikero

I really don't know what to do anymore.. I'm thinking of replacing my motherboard.. This motherboard that I have right now used to run on XP.. Am I looking at a compatibility issue here? I don't want to downgrade to XP anymore.

Your help would really be appreciated..

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Connect to your PC remotely with Chrome Remote Desktop from any device
      by Steven Parker

Although Microsoft already has native support for Remote Desktop baked into Windows, their app forces the desktop on the client to resize all of the windows to "fit" on the device connecting to it, meaning when you come back to login on the desktop that you connected to remotely, all of the open apps will now be tiny windows on the screen, which is not great.

Fortunately, Google has a free Remote Desktop app that lets you connect to a PC from any supported Android or iOS device and even through the web browser. It does require you to have the Chrome browser installed because it is a web app extension.

Install the Chrome Remote Desktop Extension on the computer you want to connect to remotely Then go to https://remotedesktop.google.com/access/ to add the computer You will be prompted to give the computer a name and (at least) a six digit PIN Gallery: Setup Chrome Remote Desktop
      Once you have completed the above steps you will need to install the client on the device you will use to connect to your desktop.

Install the Chrome Remote Desktop app on the device you will use to connect to the remote PC.
      Install for Android devices | Install for iOS devices Once the app is installed, tap on the hamburger menu and ensure you are signed in to the same account that the remote desktop is signed into Chrome with, tap the account to switch to it A list of your remote PCs will appear Tap on the remote desktop you want to access and enter the PIN

When you connect, you will see the remote PC desktop in the orientation for your device, so portrait for a phone and tablet, you can switch to landscape view and pinch to zoom in or out to make it easier to control the remote PC. In addition, there is a top navigation bar that auto hides and lets you bring up a virtual keyboard, capture the mouse cursor as well as context menu options to send Ctrl-Alt-Del, resize the desktop to fit.

Gallery: Mobile device access

An added bonus is that this method to connect does not resize any opened windows on the PC, and it also does not lock your PC when a user is connected to it remotely, so anyone can watch along which also makes it perfect for remote assistance.

Remote Assistance
      You can also opt to give someone a one-time access code to grant them access to provide Remote Assistance. However, this method only appears to be possible directly through the web browser at https://remotedesktop.google.com/support that lets you generate a code, or connect to a PC with a code.

Let us know what remote solution you use for your computers in the comments below!

• By News Staff
      SMART Goals Quick Reference Guide - Free Download
      by Steven Parker

Request your guide for free today, before this time-limited offer expires.

What's it about?

Setting goals involves creating a plan to motivate and guide individuals to the desired end result.

The SMART methodology is a goal-setting tool used make aspirations more achievable. The acronym stands for:

Specific Measurable Actionable Realistic Time-bound How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> SMART Goals Quick Reference Guide - Free Download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources. Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Namerah S
      Turn on dark mode on Twitter for Android in three easy steps
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

About a year back, social media giant Twitter introduced a dark mode to its Android application. Prior to that, there was a similar theme available called 'low light' but that was not a full-fledged dark mode. The final change combined the two options under a united feature called 'Lights Out'.

Today's guide will show you how to find and toggle the 'Lights Out' feature in three simple steps. Under this combined feature, Android users can pick between the low light mode and the dark mode.

Step 1: Open the Twitter app on your Android smartphone. Once launched, locate the settings menu housed in the sidebar on the left.

Step 2: Look for the lone icon sitting at the bottom left corner of the screen. It's shaped like a light bulb and is easy to miss. Tap it when you spot it.

Step 3: Upon tapping the tiny bulb, voilà, the dark mode options will pop up on your screen.

You can choose between a pitch black theme called 'Lights out'...

...or a more vanilla version of the dark mode called 'Dim'.

And that's it, folks, it really is that easy and simple. With dark mode on, you will no longer be blinded by flashes of unwanted light in the middle of the night, marring your eyesight. You can sip your tea and catch up to the latest beef on Twitter without feeling like a vampire that has just seen the light of day. Happy browsing!

• By News Staff
      Microsoft Teams - Quick Reference Card - Free download
      by Steven Parker

Claim your Free Tips and Tricks Guide today, before this offer expires.

This Microsoft Teams reference provides shortcuts, tips, and tricks for this popular inter-office software.

Use this reference to brush up on the basics and to find alternative methods to your favorite commands. This printable quick reference is yours to use, distribute, and share at your organization!

Along with this free reference card, you will also receive more information from CustomGuide regarding their innovative interactive training and learning solutions to help improve the software skills of you and your staff for success in today's workplace.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Microsoft Teams - Quick Reference Card - Free download <<
      Offered by CustomGuide, view other free resources | Limited time offer

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By Usama Jawad96
      How to create multiple profiles in independent Chrome instances
      by Usama Jawad

Google Chrome is the most used browser available on the internet, and leads the market share race by quite a huge margin. While Google keeps adding new capabilities to it after testing them via multiple release channels such as Canary, Dev, and Beta, the browser already has a decent feature set.

One decent capability Chrome offers is setting up persistent profiles in a new and independent instance. While most people with multiple accounts sign in to them via the same browser instance and switch when required, setting up independent browser instances allows for greater degree of flexibility and separation.

In the era of the "new normal", where personal and work lives are overlapping quite a lot, this feature is particularly useful for me, as it allows me to keep my personal work on a single browser instance and isolate my work profiles to other instances. Of course, you may have different use cases in which such a setup is beneficial. Today, I will walk you through this feature and show you how to set up a completely fresh profile on an independent instance.

Since you are interested in setting up a new independent instance of Chrome, I will assume that you already have an account signed into the browser.

The first step is to click on its icon in the top right corner, which will show you the profiles you currently have. In your case, this will only show your current profile and "Guest". The default Guest profile allows you to browse the internet without your browser history or cookies being saved. However, files that you download do persist. In our case, we want to click on "+ Add", as shown below:

This will open up a new window in the browser where you can type in a name for this profile and select a profile picture. You can also click the checkbox on the bottom if you want to create a desktop shortcut for this profile. In our case, I have typed in the name "Neowin Test User" and selected the profile picture of a cat (because I love cats, sue me), and left the checkbox at its default value of "checked", as shown in the screenshot below:

This will immediately fire up the new browser instance for you, showing you the Chrome landing page. Here, you can click on "Get Started" if you want to set up a new profile. This will take you through the setup process of adding bookmarks to Google apps and choosing a background.

When you are done with this, you will be shown the final page of the process which offers you to sign in to an existing account to sync all your bookmarks, passwords and history. You can click on this to sign in to your secondary account or register for a new one, depending upon what is your use case. Alternatively, you can also click on "No thanks" if you don't want to sign in to a Google account.

Whatever option you choose, this step completes your process of creating a profile in an independent and fresh browser instance. Provided that you did not sign in to your primary existing Google account, none of your passwords, history, and bookmarks will be synced. You can set up multiple profiles in independent instances in the same way.

As an additional optional step, if at some point, you want to delete this profile, simply click on the profile icon on the top right of your instance, the same one you used to create a new profile in the first step. Click on the gear icon in the "Other people" section, which will show you the list of profiles you currently have on Chrome. Click on the three-dots icon on the top of the profile you want to remove. In our case, this is the "Neowin Test User" profile we just created, and click on "Remove this person", as shown below:

The end result is a warning stating that this will permanently delete the profile's browsing data from this device. It will also indicate the respective counts of items in your browsing history, passwords, bookmarks, and autofill from data. If you're okay with this, click on "Remove this person" and voila, you're done! As expected, this also deletes the desktop shortcut of this instance that you may have created in the initial steps of the setup process.

That's pretty much it when it comes to setting up and deleting fresh browser profiles. It's a nifty feature that can be used in a variety of use-cases, and is thankfully a very straightforward and brief procedure that gets you up and running in no time.

We would like to know: Do you use this capability offered by Chrome, or do you have some other workarounds or tackling the problem of multiple profiles? Let us know in the comments section below!