Where does Linux stand in your life?

136 members have voted

1. 1. How do you run Linux?

• Primary and Only OS used on main system
    • Dual Booting with another OS (Windows/Mac OS)
    • Running in Virtual Machine (Virtual Box, VMWare on Windows/Mac OS)
    • Other? (please detail below)

OSX at work currently, but I remote into a windows server to do the majority of my job.

Windows 7 at home currently, but this weekend will be trying a bunch of linux oses for Media Center purpose (open to recommendations) I need it to work as good as Windows 7 w/ Media Center. If I could see it on my xbox even better.

Linux Mint is on a system I use at work to clone HD's and do malware removal.

I work on open source server software for my job and I develop entirely within VMs running on Windows 7.

The combination suits me well as I don't have to ever mess around with driver issues (I don't use X) and I can backup the dev virtual machine by copying the VDI file to the backup server. Also, I can just copy the VM to my Windows laptop to carry on working in the airport etc.

Not very many options on this poll. Could have added 'On my Phone' or 'On my Server (Local/Remote).

Anyways Linux lives in my life on my Remote server only. And if Windows licensing was cheaper I would have used Windows instead :laugh:

I'd be using Linux full-time if it wasn't for the fact that the newer games don't run well under Wine. Windows 7 is a pretty solid OS and I really don't like rebooting needlessly, so until I buy a graphics card that is too fast for its own good or Wine becomes really good at "emulating" DirectX games, I think Windows will stay as the main OS here for the foreseeable future. My netbook however runs Linux, Xubuntu specifically.

Desktop boots Ubuntu and has various Linux (and Windows) VMs. Netbook dual-boot Ubuntu and XP (though I never boot Windows).

Work laptop always has a Debian VM running under XP. Many of the development servers (especially the newer ones) run Linux, generally SLES.

My phone runs Android.

HTPC has Ubuntu installed but mainly boots Windows 7.

I run Ubuntu 10.10 on my main system exclusively, but I do have Linux/7/XP dual boots and some virtualisations on other work machines for development purposes. Even though I do use Windows regularly, GNU/Linux is definitely my preferred OS;

I don't "use" Linux as it. My only current Linux device is my Linksys router running DD-WRT.

I wish I could use it more tho, but I'm a Gamer and my PC laptop (I have a MacBook too) is a TabletPC and when I installed Ubuntu 10.10 who "claim" to support TabletPCs I found it ridiculously unusable.

Therefore, I don't see any use of Linux in my direct life.

I wish I could be a Linux user tho because I like modding stuff and making my environment just like I want it to be and currently there's no OS who bring really what I want.

Being a programer I could maybe code my own version of Gnome for example.

On a server side, I would always choose Linux over Windows tho.

Using Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1 64-Bit in VirtualBox, mainly for testing purposes really.

I can't use it as a primary OS, as I need an OS for productivity and gaming. I muck around with Linux on VM's. Otherwise at work, we use AIX, which is rock solid.

I have Lubuntu running in my Laptop which lost half of it's memory due to a stick going bad and that will be replaced with Ubuntu this week as soon as replacement memory comes in.

I have a spare/ancient Pentium II computer with 128mb of ram and 8gb hard drive running every so often as a test bed for a web server, PBX box, or firewall running whenever I want to just 'play around' with the box. Not real powerful so I just keep it simple with a low end Linux.

Then I have my iMac which as most would say is a *nix variant and pleasingly shares most of the same commands as Linux.

And last but not least, my step daughter's computer is an old PII machine with around 360mb of ram (odd combination of sticks I threw together), running WattOS to keep things easy on resources as well as keep her safer online. She is 8 and doesn't need to go very far on the web these days. :)

I was just wondering how Neowin's Linux users run their systems, whether they are Linux Only, Dual Booting on the same system or using Virtual Machines for their experience.

I run Debian 6 exclusively on my desktop for my primary OS.

I use Ubuntu 10.10. I love it. I don't use Windows anymore for anything other than playing games. Everything else I do on Ubuntu. It's fast, secure and it just works.

I use Linux on servers, but not as my main client OS (I prefer OS X for that). I use Linux for:

• Web app servers
  • Database servers
  • Delopment VMs
  • Client OS on my netbook, which I use next to never

Linux distros that I tend to use: Debian, Arch Linux and Ubuntu. I also use FreeBSD a lot.

Wubi on my Laptop for a while until I break it and have no idea how to fix it

Clean install on my test rig until I break that and dont know how to fix it

Something I really want to learn more about, but get too ***ssed off with it when something goes wrong and I have no idea how to repair it so it gets wiped

I dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 7 on my laptop.

Somehow linux always runs with problems, first theres trackpad problem then wifi problem then some crytic message on update failure and whatever comes next.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix them and it becomes hours spent to trawl the net for the fix and trying random stuff.

So linux will always be second place for me.

I'm a Mac OS guy...

I run Windows XP/Vista/7/2003 at work, with Ubuntu and CentOS on some of my servers. That's all I can use linux for... I can't stand it as a desktop OS.

I dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 7 on my laptop.

Somehow linux always runs with problems, first theres trackpad problem then wifi problem then some crytic message on update failure and whatever comes next.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix them and it becomes hours spent to trawl the net for the fix and trying random stuff.

So linux will always be second place for me.

Why are you having so many issues with it? Are you sure you are installing it correctly?

Hate Linux. Had so many nightmares and I can't be bothered to go google just to search for some idiot commandline method to do some petty tasks. Ubuntu may have improved but still far away compared to easiness of Windows and OSX.

Hate Linux. Had so many nightmares and I can't be bothered to go google just to search for some idiot commandline method to do some petty tasks. Ubuntu may have improved but still far away compared to easiness of Windows and OSX.

LOL...LOL...LOL...

You are too funny. As a hardcore Windows user I can tell you, I used to say the same thing. Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit is VERY powerful. I have 2 hard drives on my PC, one with Windows 7 and the other with Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. I use Windows 7 to play games only. I no longer use it to surf, email or anything internet related. I use Ubuntu for that. Secure, stable, fast, easy to use and rock solid.

Did Ubuntu suck before version 10.10 (latest)....Yes...But now, it's a whole new different OS. Better, faster, easier to use.

Mandriva 2010.2 is my main OS. Though I might switch to Fedora 15 when it comes out...Haven't decided yet. I'll see how Mandriva 2011 is first.

AT work, I use Mandriva 2010.2 for programming, and XP for everything else (My main PC at work is suppose to be XP, but I use that computer less and less.)

At home, I have Windows 7, that I use sometimes...Not as much anymore.

And my server at the moment has nothing...lol Will be installing Fedora 13 on it later I think.