[Poll] Is "App" a word you approve for desktop programs?

Vote in the Question that aims at your OS under regards of your MAIN OS. Nothing more!  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Windows users: App = desktop application?

• Yes
    • No (to me it's just a mobile app or web app)
    • No (other reason)
    • N/A - Windows is not my main OS
  2. 2. Mac OS X users: App = desktop application?

• Yes
    • No (other reason)
    • N/A - Mac OS X is not my main OS
  3. 3. *NIX users: App = desktop application?

• Yes
    • No (other reason)
    • N/A - *NIX is not my main OS

Vote in the Question that aims at your OS in regards of your MAIN OS. Nothing more!

Heya guys,

so voice your opinion!

Is a desktop program an "app" to you?

If yes/no why?

To me, no it's not. (Mac user)

App sounds belittled - like a little sister app of a desktop program. (The desktop program being the "FULL" version)

Now there're apps that do not come derived from a desktop application, but you get what I mean.

I know Mac's programs have the extension ".app", but to me, it's just that.

I don't hear people talk about the new "VLC exe" or so when they talk about the program in general and not the .exe file either.

I know there are people using "app" as such a word, but this is just about our personal views! :)

I included the main OS separation ("which [OS] world do you live in?"), because I thought due to ".app" being the extension for programs on OS X, there might be a higher usage ratio for us Mac users...

Also we get a more in-depth view in general... :)

Glassed Silver:mac

App is short for "application", has been for the last 20 years of my computing life. Apple saying it means "apple" as in "app store - apple store" is BS.

It also does not refer to a "cut-down" application. That (to me) would be an "applet" (java background for me then).

However I can see that with "app stores" we are now seeing an association between "app" and "smartphone applications"...

to me apps are small programs typically found on a mobile device

Everything else is just software/programs/applications or whatever the program is called. For example Putty is a small program which you could call an app, but to me its just Putty an application

Never really subscribed to the app = application thing, but I guess it does

I've been saying App as in Application since about 2003 when I first got Mac OS X Panther as the applications had .app on the end of the filename and it just stuck in my mind. I've always thought the .app stood for Application. I could say Programs instead but I prefer the word Application and the shorter App, it just sounds better.

And I use App to refer to all types of Applications for all operating systems.

App definitely means "application". But somehow I better like "program". Not just because Apple snagged the name (it just means that other companies need to come forward with some originality when naming their own "app stores"). It just doesn't sound right for me.

App is short for "application", has been for the last 20 years of my computing life. Apple saying it means "apple" as in "app store - apple store" is BS.

I know that it comes from application and I don't buy the "App = Apple" stuff either.

I know that the term is older than smartphones are, it's just that I personally make a distinction between desktop and mobile applications.

I know that the term means application, it's just that it is such a self-standing term, you wouldn't write "app." to shorten "application" and it's getting its own existence aside of "application" - hence becoming a
SECOND
word rather than being a referring word to another.

App now being the almost ONLY term for apps on smartphones and the first time I actually get around using that term actually it's reserved to them for me personally.

Guess my environment has been very "non-lazy" (not calling anyone lazy who uses "apps" for desktops :p ) the past years always talking about software as programs, applications, tools (for little applications) and utilities (for anything tinkering with the inner workings). :D

It also does not refer to a "cut-down" application. That (to me) would be an "applet" (java background for me then).

However I can see that with "app stores" we are now seeing an association between "app" and "smartphone applications"...

An applet is an applet to me... something between script and programs. Term wise at least.

I'm not saying it refers to "cut down", I'm just saying that I feel about it being a little sister or so... Not as in "not as good as it could be" NO - far from it... Many apps on my iPhone are very feature rich, but apps per definition try to simplify and leave out certain settings, options or automatize...

(e.g. photo editing on iPhone vs. on Mac...)

About your last sentence: I fully agree! I guess that's essentially where this distinction is coming from for the masses.

Man this is a bad poll.

...because?

Did the actual poll disappoint you, because the title was misleading or did you come here just to write that in the first place?

Either way, please elaborate.

So then your post is a "bad post"... or?

I usually refrain from calling comments "bad". I see every post has value, yours, too. Even though you should have added the crucial part.

Thank you.

App = Application, nothing wrong with using it.

I remember when I was in school we used to use RISC OS, and it had 'App's.. way back in the 90's. :laugh:

...because?

Did the actual poll disappoint you, because the title was misleading or did you come here just to write that in the first place?

Either way, please elaborate.

So then your post is a "bad post"... or?

I usually refrain from calling comments "bad". I see every post has value, yours, too. Even though you should have added the crucial part.

Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP

App is short for Application software

On that same page, the only thing that says "Apple" are the railway codes.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/app

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0034790#m_en_gb0034790

Do I need to continue wasting my time on why I posted "Man this is a bad poll."?

In terms of context, I voted, even though that OS X is not my main OS.

When used, the term 'App' can apply mainly to mobile applications, but can also be applied to the desktop environment. Since application and program both mean the same thing, then it seems fair to use the term for both.

When in the Windows environment, a program tends to be the correct word for it, while on OS X they can be called applications, since in both cases this is what the OS calls them.

Why redefine something that's been around for decades?

App = an application. Be it desktop or mobile.

I also think that connecting App to anything related with Apple, because it looks like a short for Apple is just downright stupid.

to me apps are small programs typically found on a mobile device

Or if I am talking to another techie, I may use "App" instead of application for a desktop program. But generally speaking, no.

I consider the term "app" to be an abreviation of "application" used by people who follow trend words.

I'm 42 and have been using computers for as long as I can remember and I've ALWAYS had a folder named "Small Apps" for... wait for it... small applications...ta-da!

Yes, App = Applications, at least to this long time computer user. :)

Considering the term "Killer App" has been around since time immemorial, I'd say using the term "App" is appropriate to describe software for PCs.

I'm 42 and have been using computers for as long as I can remember and I've ALWAYS had a folder named "Small Apps" for... wait for it... small applications...ta-da!

Yes, App = Applications, at least to this long time computer user. :)

LEGEND..... wait for it...i hope your not lactose intolerant... DAIRY!!!! :devil: