Solve 48

except as multiple people have pointed out through this thread, and any search will show you, that is incorrect

PEDMAS

Parenthsis

Exponents

Multiplication AND Division

Addition AND Subtraction

similarly

BODMAS

Brackets

Orders

Multiplication AND Division

Addition AND Subtraction

Multiplication does not take precedence over division

Addition does not take precedence over subtraction

i wast meaning it took precedent i was just saying it as an order you can do it in... if you know PEMDAS you know what it means

and 2 is not the correct answer... you have to expand the equation out first

ok seriously people look at the equation attached, that is the SAME THING...

post-47883-0-23861600-1303932695.png

now what do you multiple bu there? the 2 or 48/2? take a guess 48/2 is a single entity, you have to multiply the result of it by the next part..... how hard is this to understand?

I'm starting to think I need to add something this simple question onto interview tests sheesh....... weed out a lot of people fast by the looks of it

If you got as far as Elementary school or didn't take Pre-Algebra until the 10th grade then yes 48 ? 2(9+2) does indeed equal to 2. With Basic math, the order would be going to the right to left. thus 48/24=2

If you understand Mathematics beyond Algebra, then 48 ? 2(9+3) is 288

What you need to do is first Parenthesis 48/2*(9+3) = 48/2*12 ok now we solve it going LEFT TO RIGHT 48/2=24*12=288

48/2=24x12=288 :shiftyninja:

/Thread

If you got as far as Elementary school or didn't take Pre-Algebra until the 10th grade then yes 48 ? 2(9+2) does indeed equal to 2. With Basic math, the order would be going to the right to left. thus 48/24=2

If you understand Mathematics beyond Algebra, then 48 ? 2(9+3) is 288

What you need to do is first Parenthesis 48/2*(9+3) = 48/2*12 ok now we solve it going LEFT TO RIGHT 48/2=24*12=288

48/2=24x12=288 :shiftyninja:

/Thread

you're hired, you at least understand order of operation and LTR

Easy.

Highlight the text, right-click, select Search Google for '48?2(9+3)'

HAHAHAHA, good call. The first hit on Google is that this question is used to troll forums because there are two possible answers, and it's funny to see people argue about it.

Nice job OP! LOLOLOLOL

Makes you wonder when people start arguing about the very basic order of operations. I would much rather see a discussion and arguments on tupper's self-referential formula. :whistle:

ROFL after looking at the google search, I found this yahoo answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Distributive property of multiplication. Early Algebra.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

So this can be rewritten as:

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 *(9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

Edited 3 weeks ago

Makes you wonder when people start arguing about the very basic order of operations. I would much rather see a discussion and arguments on tupper's self-referential formula. :whistle:

are you trying to make this website explode?

Nobody argue about order of operations here. People argue if 2(9+3) should be considered as juxtaposition or a normal multiplication.

Nobody argue about order of operations here. People argue if 2(9+3) should be considered as juxtaposition or a normal multiplication.

you read an equation left to right in addition to order of operation, there is not "juxtaposition" in this

do we need to teach people order of operators again?

Parenthesis first

Exponents second

Multiplication third

Division fourth

Addition fifth

Subtraction sixth

48?2(9+3) turns into (48 / 2) * (9 + 3) which means do it in this order

(48 / 2) = 24

(9 + 3) = 12

24 * 12 = 288

you have to remember to "segment" operations off so when you do that it turns into this

( (48 / 2 ) ( 9 + 3) )

then

( ( 48 / 2) * ( 9 + 3 ))

then

( (24) * (12))

That's slightly incorrect. Multiplication and division carry the same weight, as do addition and subtraction. For example, 3 * 3 / 2 would be interpreted as (3 * 3) / 2, not 3 * (3 / 2), even though the result is the same. The order of operations is solved left to right for these operators.

Also, the equation does NOT become "(48 / 2) * (9 + 3)" .. the 9 + 3 is in brackets so that part is solved first.

The equation is solved like this:

(9 + 3) = 12

48 / 2 = 24

24 * (12) = 288

In school we were taught "BODMAS" (Brackets Order Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction) .. the fact that we were taught DIVISION MULTIPLICATION rather than MULTIPLICATION DIVISION like you further re-enforces the point that division and multiplication carry the same weight.

Also, if juxtaposition held any weight like many people in this thread say it does then I'm pretty sure it would be taught in school. Even though it's basic maths taught in school, doesn't mean they're going to teach us wrong information!

you read an equation left to right in addition to order of operation, there is not "juxtaposition" in this

Yet again many engineering books will consider 2() something as juxtaposition and to get the right answer you'll need to do it first.

Yet again many engineering books will consider 2() something as juxtaposition and to get the right answer you'll need to do it first.

those books would be wrong in this equation... give an example out of one of these books for us to see

These idiots are tying to say that 48/2*(9+3) is not the same as 48/2(9+3) LOL.

THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY ------->. NOT <----------.

For 2(9+3) to be interpreted as (2*9+2*3) it would need to be enclosed in brackets. You solve what is in brackets first, then you solve exponents, then multiplication/division, then addition/subtraction, in a left to right order.

In other words the way the equation is written, you would not interpret 2(9+3) BEFORE you interpreted 48/2, because it is further along in the equation than 48/2. You interpret (9+3) first, by itself. If the equation was 48/(2(9+3)) then the answer would be 2. But there are no brackets enclosing the 2(9+3), so the answer is 288.

Easy peasy.

IN the US we use pemdas. Please excuse my dear aunt sally (britain uses the other one).

Multiplication and division are the same so then you go left to right. it is 288.

The answer is how you display the equation.

-- (9+3) = 288

--------- = 2

2(9+3)

I believe the second way is the proper way.

The hitler parody posted in this thread says it all: "Where in the bodmas rule does it say that multiplication by juxtaposition takes precedence over other multiplication and division?" ANSWER: it does not.

;)

Correct answer

No it is not

48?2(9+3)

means

48 divided by 2 times the answer of 9+3 - this is standard math procedure, there is no misinterpretation of this this is the way that all math flows.

now if the question were phrased like this

48?2

(9+3)

then the answer would be 2, but it wasn't phrased like that so the answer is 244

2(9+3) means to multiply 2 times the number that 9+3 equals or to multiply 9 two times and multiply 3 two times and add those two numbers together. but if you have an equasion followed by the parenthesis, it is always the result of the equasion multiplied by the answer within the parenthesis. There is no division, it is always multiplied unless it is over another with the example I gave or with a /. This is the way it exists with all math problems, if you think otherwise you need to go back to high school algebra possibly even 6th grade math.

the answer is 2 my noob friends :) 48/2(9+3) 9+3=12 its not done yet, 12 inside parenthesis is multiplying by 2. you have to keep simplyfing until its done. 12*2 =24 48/24 = 2. even with the distribution... 2*9 + 2*3 2 is part of it and must be dealt with first and simplified - 18 + 6 = 24. 48/24 = 2. You people getting 288 or whatever are wrong.

the answer is 2 my noob friends :) 48/2(9+3) 9+3=12 its not done yet, 12 inside parenthesis is multiplying by 2. you have to keep simplyfing until its done. 12*2 =24 48/24 = 2. even with the distribution... 2*9 + 2*3 2 is part of it and must be dealt with first and simplified - 18 + 6 = 24. 48/24 = 2. You people getting 288 or whatever are wrong.

Since when does multiplication by juxtaposition get solved before other multiplication and division?

With order of operations multiplication and division are the same then you go from right to left. Thats how you get 288

48/2(12) goes to 24 x 12 = 288

Look up the order of operations OR type this into a calculator and you will get 288

Since when does multiplication by juxtaposition get solved before other multiplication and division?

The Distributive Property in ALgebra:

The Distributive Property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses.

a(b + c) = ab + ac

To multiply in algebra, you'll use the distributive law:

3x(x+4)

= 3x(x) + 3x(4)

=3x2+12x

With order of operations multiplication and division are the same then you go from right to left. Thats how you get 288

48/2(12) goes to 24 x 12 = 288

Look up the order of operations OR type this into a calculator and you will get 288

i know the order, and so do you. You just arent finishing the operation. which is why u keep coming up with the wrong answer

you have to get rid of the parenthesis... just saying 9+3=12 doesnt get rid of the parenthesis. continuing to simplify gets rid of the parenthesis. hence you have to multiply 12*2