Sniffed up my runny nose.. Pulled a back muscle majorly!

So ya... how is this even possible? Yesterday sitting at the computer for lunch, had a runny nose. Something caught my eye to the right of me, so I turned my head a little bit. While staring with my head turned, I did a sniff action to catch some of my runny nose fluid... and upon doing the sniff, a sharp pain hit my back/shoulder area. This was a pain that actually felt like a little bit of muscle snapped and just went up like one of those cartoon shade segments where it just flies up and keeps spinning. I had to actually lay down from it. 24 hours later, my back is sore, I have limited movement, and I still can't believe it could be just from a sniffle.

So ya, this is just a rant about how I'm in pain and how my lack of knowledge about what nose muscle is connected to the back muscle has caused it :p But really... wth! I know it's not due to how I turned my head, because it wasn't from that action. It happened exactly as i *sniiiffffeeed*, though doing any other sniffs right now does not cause any pain, only the movement of my right shoulder or any part of my back..... arg.

• 7 years later...
On 4/13/2011 at 2:28 AM, shakey said:

So ya... how is this even possible? Yesterday sitting at the computer for lunch, had a runny nose. Something caught my eye to the right of me, so I turned my head a little bit. While staring with my head turned, I did a sniff action to catch some of my runny nose fluid... and upon doing the sniff, a sharp pain hit my back/shoulder area. This was a pain that actually felt like a little bit of muscle snapped and just went up like one of those cartoon shade segments where it just flies up and keeps spinning. I had to actually lay down from it. 24 hours later, my back is sore, I have limited movement, and I still can't believe it could be just from a sniffle.

So ya, this is just a rant about how I'm in pain and how my lack of knowledge about what nose muscle is connected to the back muscle has caused it :p But really... wth! I know it's not due to how I turned my head, because it wasn't from that action. It happened exactly as i *sniiiffffeeed*, though doing any other sniffs right now does not cause any pain, only the movement of my right shoulder or any part of my back..... arg.

I know its 9 years too late, but it feels like what happened to you is the exact thing that happened to me an hour back. I sniffed and now I can barely move or breathe. My upper back is spasming  and my right side is dis functional. I’m in excruciating pain. Would really be grateful if you told me how your problem got fixed? Did you have to go to a doc, or did heat therapy and gels do the trick? Thank you so much, hoping you’ll see this!

• Jim K locked this topic

hello @TeaBo

it looks like shakey has not been active on Neowin in a few years so you may not get a reply from them unfortunately.

Since this topic is so old I'd highly recommend creating your own thread explaining your situation; you may get better replies that way.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy your time on Neowin :)

• Brandon H unlocked this topic
  • Nick H. locked this topic