Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami on Tap for UFC Brazil in August

Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre? Not so fast.

It appears the UFC has switched gears away from the proposed super fight and opted to put middleweight champion Anderson Silva in against the last man to technically hold a win over him, Yushin Okami, at UFC Rio in Brazil on Aug. 27.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the bout to USA Today on Wednesday.

Okami earned a title shot by defeating Nate Marquardt last year, but after Silva dispatched of Vitor Belfort in February, most thought the next fight on the horizon for the champ would be a battle to be declared the sport?s undisputed pound-for-pound best fighter in a match-up against St-Pierre.

St-Pierre of course still has a fight coming up at UFC 129 against Jake Shields. If he is to ever face Silva, it now appears to be a little farther off than many fans had hoped for.

Okami gets his second shot at Silva after an illegal up-kick from the Brazilian brought an abrupt end to their first fight at Rumble on the Rock in 2006. After being taken down by Okami early in the fight, Silva launched a head kick that knocked out the Japanese fighter, leaving him unable to continue.

Okami was declared the winner, and that was the last time Silva had a blemish on his record. Now they will look to settle the score in Brazil.

While Silva vs GSP is THE fight most fans want to see, this is still going to sell PPV like crazy in Brazil. Now that the SF is under Zuffa's wing, GSP has a few more credible opponents (one, Nick Diaz) to test himself against at 170. UFC Rio is shaping up to be either an amazing show or an all out tepid disaster.

I can't see Nick Diaz giving GSP too much of a problem if it ever happens. He was very touch and go for a while against Daley and GSP wouldn't give him the chance to bounce back. I can see them delaying the possible GSP vs Silva bout for a Super Bowl mega PPV weekend. Shields is gonna need a big improvement over his last fight to even get close to an upset, but I can't see Okami giving Silva any trouble.

I can't see Nick Diaz giving GSP too much of a problem if it ever happens. He was very touch and go for a while against Daley and GSP wouldn't give him the chance to bounce back. I can see them delaying the possible GSP vs Silva bout for a Super Bowl mega PPV weekend. Shields is gonna need a big improvement over his last fight to even get close to an upset, but I can't see Okami giving Silva any trouble.

Oh he doesn't have a chance in hell. But the UFC can portray him as a credible challenger. Unlike Okami who almost nobody outside of the hardcore fans think has a remote chance or even legitimacy to fight Anderson.

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Forrest Griffin will face off once again, as UFC President Dana White revealed to MMAFighting.com that the two light heavyweights will square off at the UFC's upcoming event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this summer.

The two have met before, as Griffin upset Rua by submitting him with seconds left in the final round in "Shogun's" UFC debut at UFC 76: Knockout in September of 2007. The impressive victory led to Griffin getting a light heavweight title shot against then-champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, which Griffin won via unanimous decision.

Griffin last fought at UFC 126 in February, where he came back from a 15-month hiatus to defeat Rich Franklin via unanimous decision.

Rua, meanwhile, last competed at UFC 128 in March, where he lost the UFC light heavyweight championship to Jon Jones.

UFC: Rio will take place on August 27 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and will mark the UFC's second ever trip to the country. UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will be making his ninth title defense against top contender Yushin Okami in the main event.

Oh he doesn't have a chance in hell. But the UFC can portray him as a credible challenger. Unlike Okami who almost nobody outside of the hardcore fans think has a remote chance or even legitimacy to fight Anderson.

I'm a pretty hardcore fan and I don't think Okami has a chance in hell. Their first fight wasn't even that competitive. Prior to the DQ Okami had him on the ground but it wasn't like Okami was winning that fight. Anderson has evolved since then and has basically become this unstoppable force. Even after getting rag dolled for 4.5 rounds he can come back and tap a pretty damn good wrestler like Sonnen. What exactly does Okami bring to the table? Lackadaisical striking? Half-assed judo? Bleh. He's good but he's not good enough to beat Silva, that's for damn sure.

I actually think that Okami might have a chance against Silva... he's done it once before and he can do it again!

You never saw the first fight did you? He got KTFO by an upkick (which in my opinion should be allowed if you're on your back but that's another story) and before that he wasn't beating Silva. He has a win in his record but everyone knows what the score is. The last guy to actually beat Silva was Ryo Chonan.