UpLULA pistol mag loader (from the disabled view)

Not a tech toy per se, but since there are shooters on NeoWin, and stats say some may have carpal tunnel or other disabilities, I thought this may be useful. Could also help those with a weak grip for other reasons; small stature, etc.

The UpLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader is one of a family of products made by Butler Creek and sold both online and at firearms shops. Several of these are magazine loaders for rifles or pistols of various calibers. My comments are limited to the Universal loader for pistols.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and damage to sensory nerves my left hand from surgery a few years ago. This makes it difficult to load magazines for larger caliber pistols when my hands are fired up because of their stiff springs and my sometimes inability to feel what I'm doing. Frustrating.

My first solution was just to load a bunch of mags before hitting the range or woods, but as expensive as they are that was impractical. I asked my dealer/range about it and they suggested the UpLULA. It cost me $38.00 & change, and has worked great once I had some practice.

It's made of a high strength polymer and is a hinged box with a steel finger that presses down on the mags feed ramp (or previously loaded cartridge) so you can load a round easily. Procedure;

slide UpLULA over the mag,

close over the mag (squeeze)

press the device down so its finger pushes on the feed ramp

load cartridge into mag

open (unsqueeze)

repeat until mag is full

The newer ones also help with unloading a mag for transport and the have a latch for storing the loaded in the folded position. It also has a ringlet if you want to put it on a chain, key ring, belt hook etc.

Highly recommended.

Main page: http://www.butler-creek.com/index.htm

Univ. Loader: http://www.butler-creek.com/products/lula_pistol_loader.html

LULA_univ_pistol_loader.png