Remote Assistance XP to Windows 7

Hey,

I'm trying to get remote assistance to work. I have a number of PCs i've been playing with. I cannot use an XP machine to remote assitance to a win7 machine (recieve an error that "Automation server can't create object"). I can't remote from a win7 machine to another win7 machine. I can remote from a win7 machine to an xp machine.

Easy connect won't work (I believe we have our firewall set to block this). It's only on our internal network. I've just been using the advanced connection option.

I think my firewall settings are correct. I've had them set correctly in XP, I would think the same ports would work on windows 7. I have remote assistance enabled via group policy and I have verified that it is enabled.

Anybody run into this or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advanced.

use a thrid party software. disable your firewall altogether if the network is secure. combination of the two.

I'd like to stay away from both if I could.

I should be able to offier remote assitance from XP to windows 7 shouldn't I?

Edit; Use 7 on both PCs. Problem solved. :shifty:

I can't offer remote assitance from a 7 machine to another 7 machine. I can only do 7 to xp...

I'd like to stay away from both if I could.

I should be able to offier remote assitance from XP to windows 7 shouldn't I?

Yes, as long as Windows 7 isn't requiring a NLA compatible RDC client or you've updated the RDC client on Windows XP..

As shown in the link I pulled via a web search, setup RDC in Windows Vista.

Try disabling your software firewall and see if you can establish connections. 1st see if is a software issue over a pos software firewall issue. Then troubleshoot your software firewall, 3389 should be all that you need to allow. If your software firewall is being a bitch remove it, there is no reason for it on a secure network. Windows firewall is enough if that is what you want, but even that can cause issues.

Yes, as long as Windows 7 isn't requiring a NLA compatible RDC client or you've updated the RDC client on Windows XP..

As shown in the link I pulled via a web search, setup RDC in Windows Vista.

That's been selected too. That's more for remote desktop but remote assistance has the same type of setting, which I do not have selected. (you check it if you want PCs to only be able to recieve offers from vista or 7.)

Try disabling your software firewall and see if you can establish connections. 1st see if is a software issue over a pos software firewall issue. Then troubleshoot your software firewall, 3389 should be all that you need to allow. If your software firewall is being a bitch remove it, there is no reason for it on a secure network. Windows firewall is enough if that is what you want, but even that can cause issues.

I shut the firewall off all together. Didn't fix anything.

I am now able to offer remote assistance from win7 to win7. Had to add users to the offer remote assistance group. Doesn't fix my problem with XP yet though...

Thanks, but that didn't do it either.

I found my answer. I guess it's just not compatible...

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows-Vistas-New-Improved-Remote-Assistance.html).

A more important issue is that a person who is running Windows XP will not be able to offer assistance to someone who is running Windows Vista. Therefore, if your organization?s help desk depends on Remote Assistance, then you will probably want to make sure that the help desk staff are the first ones upgraded to Windows Vista.

Why are you using Remote Assistance anyway? Wasn't that made in Ice Age? Get TeamViewer, which is free, or GoToAssist, if you want a paid tool, even though I'd see no need for it. Either way, don't waste your time on the built-in tools.

I've never had a problem with it until now... TeamViewer would just be more software installed on PCs that we don't really need (when windows has the tools I need built in). Just my preference. It might change if I ever test team viewer or something, but until then I'll probably stick to remote assistance. I'm switching to a windows 7 PC right now...

Locally I would personally recommend dameware. For 100 you can control as many pcs as you want. If that is too much, you should also understand that it pushes itself out to pcs so there is no preinstallation that needs to take place on the individual pcs. Teamviewer works as well as logmein, but for free vnc works as well. All of these third party solutions are not os specific and a win 2000 pc can take control of a win 7 pc and a win 7 pc can control a windows 2000 pc.