PSN Down

I think we can all say it was Anonymous. We have to be crazy not too even think he didn't do it even if he denys it. Guys come on he had a dispute with Sony just before this happens.

Anonymous is not one person, so "he" can't deny it. The group Anonymous denied it, but I believe they also said that while it wasn't officially sanctioned it could have been a smaller group of people. That's kind of the problem when even the organisation doesn't know who is part of the organisation. Besides, this isn't the kind of thing that Anonymous does, I don't think I've ever heard of them trying to make money from their attacks.

you know what, IMO sony deserved this, but it's crappy that we (psn users) are the victims. all their rootkit crap, DRM and all the other shady carp they have done/been accused of karma had to bite them back REALLY REALLY hard eventually.

and i really wish i was that good at hacking...

Considering the PSN Blog said they never asked/stored cvv's I would say (and hope) that the credit card info is safe.

Regardless, tomorrow, I am changing my god damn credit card number.

I'm sure they did take the CVV ... but they don't store it ... for this very reason. That's the point of CVV's ... an extra security layer on the card.

all their rootkit crap, DRM and all the other shady carp they have done/been accused of karma had to bite them back REALLY REALLY hard eventually

That's nice. What's also nice to remember is that Sony is a big company - different divisions operate independently.

Would you blame the XBox Gaming Division for what the parent company did? That would sound equally sane.

That's nice. What's also nice to remember is that Sony is a big company - different divisions operate independently.

Would you blame the XBox Gaming Division for what the parent company did? That would sound equally sane.

still the same company...

Anonymous? C'mon, guys, we all know that it's always who you least expect! Ergo...

monty_inquisition.jpg

IT WAS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! NOBODY SUSPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Anonymous? C'mon, guys, we all know that it's always who you least expect! Ergo...

monty_inquisition.jpg

IT WAS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! NOBODY SUSPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

For all the arguing we do, this gets a free pass through my filters and labelled awesome :rofl:

At this stage I'm just getting frustrated at PSN being down, the whole security side of things has come and gone for me (Ill change my password and be done with it). Luckily game patches are on a different server so when I start to play Fallout New Vegas in a day or two that buggy POS will be patched up to be more functional.

That and I have quite a few trophies waiting to be synced!!!

For all the arguing we do, this gets a free pass through my filters and labelled awesome :rofl:

At this stage I'm just getting frustrated at PSN being down, the whole security side of things has come and gone for me (Ill change my password and be done with it). Luckily game patches are on a different server so when I start to play Fallout New Vegas in a day or two that buggy POS will be patched up to be more functional.

That and I have quite a few trophies waiting to be synced!!!

Wow. While millions of users credit card info, passwords, addresses etc.. are in the hands of some hacker group (Anon?) you worry about playing a game, having patches and syncing trophies?

Wow..

You still love your beloved PS3 even though a company like Sony couldn't follow the simplest guidelines and encrypt your data..

Wow. While millions of users credit card info, passwords, addressed etc.. are in the hands of some hacker group (Anon?) you worry about playing a game, having patches and syncing trophies?

Wow..

You still love your beloved PS3 even though a company like Sony couldn't follow the simplest guidelines and encrypt your data..

Go back to the Xbox forum :D

Seriously, it's being blown out of proportion. These hackers do not have data valuable enough to destroy the world or even destroy the world of one person. I think it's all been thrown way out of proportion. I am confident that no one's data will get used and these morons will get what's coming to them. They will end up in prison.

**** happens, the only meaningful thing is whether they learn from their mistakes and improve their security and operating practices.

Oh and I _do_ expect to see some proper damn compensation from it. (In addition to getting that 100e from Sony here now that they ruled OtherOS removal as naughty :-) ) (Yes, I'm going to buy PS3 games with that money)

How can you still trust a service like this? I'd be scared if I was a PlayStation user to be honest, and I don't have anything against Sony or the PS3.

Stay home with your tin foil hat on. It happens everyday with many different companies.

Seriously, it's being blown out of proportion. These hackers do not have data valuable enough to destroy the world or even destroy the world of one person. I think it's all been thrown way out of proportion. I am confident that no one's data will get used and these morons will get what's coming to them. They will end up in prison.

Oh?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/there-are-2-2-million-psn-members-credit-card-details-up-for-sale/

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Hackers_put_up_PSN_Credit_Card_Info_for_Sale/551-115147-585.html

http://www.techi.com/2011/04/playstation-hacked-credit-card-data/

and our own neowin...

https://www.neowin.net/news/psn-database-with-22-million-credit-card-details-up-for-sale/

Oh?

It's worthwhile to read your own links before posting them as truth:

Now, these sellers could be full of ****. I could put a listing on craigslist right now selling the moon for $US50 and there?s nothing stopping me. Given the severity of the situation and the nature of the claims, though, let?s hope ?full of ######? is all these people are.

Incidentally, I have some genuine moon rock for sale. Bidding starts at 10 million euros.

If they even have the CC info it's pretty useless at this point. If you haven't sold the stolen card details after a week of it happening, most of the cards should be cancelled by now making the issue null.

I don't see how this can be downplayed, people. Listen, it doesn't matter which console(s) you own, what you think of a company, but the fact is this is very sensitive information which was stolen. You can't honestly expect every person who had their information stolen to inherently know it was stolen (and thus cancel their card), unless they stay in the loop on information like this, such as the people on Neowin. You're completely ignoring the casual gamer segment and the segment that knows, but still won't cancel because they assume the encryption can't be broken (or don't cancel for other reasons).

Not to mention even basic information such as names, addresses, and phone numbers can be extremely valuable as well. There's plenty of loopholes in services that people could use to try and extort information from companies you subscribe to with such information, as was recently proven when a Microsoft employee had his Xbox Live information "hacked" (read: stolen through these kinds of loopholes). I don't see how you can't be mad about this situation. If my Xbox Live information was stolen, I would be absolutely furious. And it's not amusing for me to see Playstation owners have their information stolen, because why would I want that to happen to anyone? Just because I don't own a Playstation doesn't mean I want to see the product or company do poorly, and I certainly don't want to see its consumers screwed, even if Sony is acting appropriately in a response.

This is a legitimate issue. I don't see why people seem to be taking glee in seeing another service being hacked into. There's no reason to be happy about this. And I also don't see why you'd want to downplay the issue if you're a member of the service. There's a reason for you to be mad.

unless they stay in the loop on information like this, such as the people on Neowin

It was in the national news here and on the frontpage of about every newspaper.

If my Xbox Live information was stolen, I would be absolutely furious. And it's not amusing for me to see Playstation owners have their information stolen, because why would I want that to happen to anyone? Just because I don't own a Playstation doesn't mean I want to see the product or company do poorly, and I certainly don't want to see its consumers screwed, even if Sony is acting appropriately in a response.

Excatly. I dont know why people feel like they need to promote Xbox Live by making fun of PSN users at this time. People should not respond to it and report it to the mods.

Wow. While millions of users credit card info, passwords, addresses etc.. are in the hands of some hacker group (Anon?) you worry about playing a game, having patches and syncing trophies?

Wow..

You crying your eyes out isn't suddenly going to make me want to get back to gaming any less.

I'm watching my bank account but apart from that what the **** am I suppose to do? Theres been absolutely no evidence of foul play yet. I'm a gamer, I want to carry on playing games.

hey, look at the bright side, of all things this incident oddly convinced me to get a PS3...she's sitting on the coffee table in the box, waiting for tomorrow...

It was in the national news here and on the frontpage of about every newspaper.

Except it wasn't. It was a headline on some newspapers in America; can't speak for Europe. And also, shocking news here, but newspapers are not considered the primary source of news for most people now. It wasn't covered much on news stations on television, and while it was covered on news websites, it wasn't a major headline.