C++ Compiler of choice

Question

Hey all, lately I've been wanting to learn a programming language and decided I'd like to learn C++, I've had suggestions about using Dev-C++ but I've also heard some pretty dodgy reviews due to it not being updated since 2005 and doesn't compile exes properly in some cases. I have Visual C++ 6 already installed and was wondering if this would be a better option. Also please state any better choices and why you think they're better; any tips to get started would also be apprectiated.

Thank you

-Alex

Hi Alex,

I Recommend the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC); it's free, open source, standards compliant, and is regularly updated with the latest bug fixes/features. Not only that, but if you decide to program on OSX (Mac), or GNU/Linux, then you can use the same tool because it's cross platform. Once you get a taste for GCC, I also recommend checking out the GNU Autotools, which is a very powerful code/package build system, and once again is cross platform.

http://gcc.gnu.org/

http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/automake/Autotools-Introduction.html#Autotools-Introduction

Most free IDE's/Editor's, both terminal and GUI, support integration with the GNU GCC and Autotools. Good luck with your programming adventure :D

For IDE's, I'd probably recommend Code::Blocks, or my personal favourite Eclipse although it does more than you will probably need for learning C++. Don't go with Dev-C++ as per this thread: LINK.

If you're strictly looking for a compiler, I personally go for GNU Compiler Collection (which includes a compiler for C and C++) like Flawed said. Free and open. Can't go wrong :).

Don't run with VB6/VC++6, they're so old and obsolete that you might as well not bother learning programming. VB in 2011 is barely even related to VB6.

How did you even manage to get VC6?!

Just go and download visual studio 2010 express.

Better because:

- Its the current most up-to-date compiler Microsoft offer

- Fewer compiler bugs than in VC6

- Offers some C++11 features

- The IDE you get with it is very good

This and it's also free.

If you are a student you can also get VS2010 Pro from Dreamspark for free. Now you most probably wouldn't need all the stuff the Pro version offers (express is good enough if you're starting out) but if you're getting for free, why not.

If you've got a VC++ installed, then I'm assuming Windows...GNU gcc via Cygwin :) I dunno, maybe eclipse or something for the IDE.

I kid I kid - VS.NET 2010 ftw.

If you're strictly looking for a compiler, I personally go for GNU Compiler Collection (which includes a compiler for C and C++) like Flawed said. Free and open. Can't go wrong :).

This implies there are other things for programming, correct? do you mind saying what else would actually be needed? I'm pretty new to the whole programming scene.

If you are a student you can also get VS2010 Pro from Dreamspark for free. Now you most probably wouldn't need all the stuff the Pro version offers (express is good enough if you're starting out) but if you're getting for free, why not.

I'm a student, but in High school, I doubt the rules would apply to myself not being a College or uni student, do they?

This implies there are other things for programming, correct? do you mind saying what else would actually be needed? I'm pretty new to the whole programming scene.

Well you could use a normal texteditor and compile via commandline with any compiler. Honestly I don't recommend that! Whilst a IDE may be a bit heavy if you start learning programming, it's really useful when you have many files - something that without a doubt happens pretty soon with C++?

I'm a student, but in High school, I doubt the rules would apply to myself not being a College or uni student, do they?

The Express Editions are free for anyone! You just have to register (free!) to use them for more than 30 days.

Personally I'd go with Visual C++ 2010 Express?

You need:

- an editor, to write the code. A good editor highlights the language syntax, provides suggestions as you type, shows you your errors in real-time, allows to easily navigate, provides auto-formatting, etc.

- a compiler, to convert the code into an executable

- a debugger, to analyse what your program is doing as it executes

- some method to manage all the different files of your projects and how they are built

A good IDE (integrated development environment) provides all of that seamlessly. Visual Studio and Eclipse CDT are examples of C++ IDEs. MSVC and GCC are examples of compilers (they are used by the respective aforementioned IDEs).

Well you could use a normal texteditor and compile via commandline with any compiler. Honestly I don't recommend that! Whilst a IDE may be a bit heavy if you start learning programming, it's really useful when you have many files - something that without a doubt happens pretty soon with C++?

The Express Editions are free for anyone! You just have to register (free!) to use them for more than 30 days.

Personally I'd go with Visual C++ 2010 Express?

I have Notepad ++ installed if I ever needed to do that aspect so that's covered.

And I have visual C++ 2010 express installed (just thought I'd let you know you don't need to register :) ).

edit: Also have Eclipse installed now, although from what I've read I doubt I'll need that too soon but still :)

And I have visual C++ 2010 express installed (just thought I'd let you know you don't need to register :) ).

Wait for 30 days after first startup -> you will have to register :)

You need:

- an editor, to write the code. A good editor highlights the language syntax, provides suggestions as you type, shows you your errors in real-time, allows to easily navigate, provides auto-formatting, etc.

- a compiler, to convert the code into an executable

- a debugger, to analyse what your program is doing as it executes

- some method to manage all the different files of your projects and how they are built

A good IDE (integrated development environment) provides all of that seamlessly. Visual Studio and Eclipse CDT are examples of C++ IDEs. MSVC and GCC are examples of compilers (they are used by the respective aforementioned IDEs).

Ahh so an IDE is pretty much an all-in-one software covering all the basis for programming, where as compilers such as Code::Blocks is just a compiler to create the executable files but doesn't show you errors etc.

Ahh so an IDE is pretty much an all-in-one software covering all the basis for programming, where as compilers such as Code::Blocks is just a compiler to create the executable files but doesn't show you errors etc.

It's basically like this:

Compiler = parses all your code and transforms it to basic computer instructions

Editor = Texteditor with - hopefully - syntax highlighting and member lookup (you can't remember all the functions that are offered in the language/library)

Debugger = allows you to follow the path of execution of your program while it's running

IDE = a program that offers - at least - these three functionalities with a consistent UI

It's basically like this:

Compiler = parses all your code and transforms it to basic computer instructions

Editor = Texteditor with - hopefully - syntax highlighting and member lookup (you can't remember all the functions that are offered in the language/library)

Debugger = allows you to follow the path of execution of your program while it's running

IDE = a program that offers - at least - these three functionalities with a consistent UI

Ah, thank you very much for the explanation :D

Thank you again, atm I'm looking for a good place to start though :p don't know what to do as the very basics, what I should learn etc.

Basically I need to find out how to start, if anyone has any advice from when they started thank you.

If you're just working with Windows, Visual Studio hands down. Everything included, easy to use, tons of quality help. Easy transition if you go pro or higher for some of the excellent third party tools available (CodeRush/Refactor Pro is awesome), plus integration of all the various languages/platforms in one versus a bunch of different Express installs.

Avoid C++ Builder like the plague.

Cross platform, GCC is an obvious choice for the compiler, personally a fan of Code::Blocks for the IDE, although Eclipse, Anjunta and KDevelop aren't too shabby either.. kind of a "try it out and see for yourself" sort of thing.