laptop can't see my desktop on wifi network

So you are saying I should uninstall every bit of security software leaving my network open to attacks. hehehe. Wake up. If you do not have an AV, how do you know you have a virus or not or that you are not being scanned for open ports? Firewall is designed for that. I've done studies at TAFE on Certificates in IT so I do know what I am doing. what I am doing is trying to access my deskttop while having Firewall on with it's default settings to protect my desktop from outside attacks.

Oh damn it. I was led to believe that WinFirewall was responsible when infact Kaspersky IS2011's Firewall component on the desktop was the issue. Here what I did:

Ran the "Troubleshoot my network" link (from windows firewall window). Told it I have trouble sharing files and folders, found out that a firewall is responsbile but didn't specifiy what and what kind of issue. I told it to repair it automatically. It fixed one issue and left another unknown issue for me to fix. I ran the wizard but on Homegroup, it found one issue to do with my network and told me to run the network troubleshooter and it found that a thirdparty firewall is hte issue. I really thought I had told Kaspersky NOT to activate the firewall and just use the built in Windows firewall. I disabled Kaspersky firewall component and with Windows Firewall still enabled - viola - Laptop can now access desktop's files.

Damn you Kaspersky. Looks like I'm done with Kaspersky and just install MSE.

This is a ping result of pinging my desktop with KIS2011 firewall disabled but real-time protection is still enabled:

C:\Users\Jason>ping 10.1.1.3

Pinging 10.1.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.1.1.3: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128

Reply from 10.1.1.3: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.1.1.3:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 6ms

C:\Users\Jason>

Glad u got it working.

I never once said to disable your security. Please quote me where I said to do so. I specifically said to disable your pos software firewalls as they are not needed on a protected network like your home network.

Ps standard IT certs mean squat. It is more of a congratulations you won a door prize of being able to answer a help desk phone and possibly help your neighbors reinstall windows. It doesn't mean you have any clue about anything. Study up on a CCIE then we can talk about security and what real security is and what and where you need protection. That is the only IT cert that holds any weight with anyone.

Sorry to beat a dead horse here -- but this statement is just NOT TRUE - PERIOD!!

"it's default settings to protect my desktop from outside attacks. "

your behind a nat router/firewall already -- what outside attacks do you think is going to get to your PC?? Is your PC in the DMZ of your router?? If not then no unsolicited traffic will go to your PC, unless you specifically forward it. Or you have UPnP enabled and some software that needs ports opens, which guess what would open up your software firewall ports as well.

Glad you got it sorted out.. But your under a false impression if you think you need a software firewall to protect you from OUTSIDE attacks when your behind a Firewall already!!

Why don't you actually look at your logs -- what is your software firewall stopping?? Post up 1 actual attack that your software firewall stopped and I for sure will shut up about running a software firewall.. The public net is a nasty place.. I would think your software firewall will stop atleast 1 actual attack in a day or so. Please post thanks!

I TOLD Kaspersky NOT to install it's Firewall :s . I know I don't need a software firewall, just the standard built in firewall is all I need. Yet, Kaspersky went ahead and installed all it wanted. I disabled the firewall but keep anti-virus protection on (Better than none at all). The network has been working perfect. I can now watch movies that is stored on my desktop's Media HDD.

Not sure how to access the firewall logs of Kaspersky. It's software is sure a messy hell. Good thing I spent $20 for it. Probably for the last time.