Really, Ubuntu and GNU/Linux? I thought you weren't THAT low...

Ubuntu's Opinionated Dictionary  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What should Ubuntu do to their definition of Microsoft?

• Update it! Come on, this is really childish!
    • Nah, they're right about Microsoft being evil.
  2. 2. What should I do about this situation?

• Nothing. Just cry a river or complain, but shut up.
    • Write a letter to the Ubuntu team asking for a revision of the definition.
    • Engage in expanding public awareness.

It's just some easter egg put in there by a developer. You remember it's an OPEN SOURCE application, right? It's probably just a joke anyway.

As for the "death" of Microsoft: If it ever came to that, I don't think it would be caused by just one person. There's no way a company with such

high regard and reputation would allow one person to just come in and knock all the Dominos over.

Now, if you were to say Microsoft's way of business is dying, then I would agree. The clunky desktop and $200 copy of Windows every year

business model is dying. People are getting more and more mobile, and less and less concerned about bulky PCs, wires, expensive

upgrades, and so on.

Microsoft are suing Barnes & Noble because they use the Android operating system (which is based on Linux) in their Nook readers. Microsoft are claiming Android infringes some of their patents. Barnes & Noble are fighting back.

I put the link earlier in this thread, but here it is again: groklaw.net

I brought this up because it is part of a long history of great dislike among many Linux users and companies for Microsoft. I thought it would help explain the whole 'evil empire' thing. There is a history there. Still, it's a bit silly to put 'evil empire' in a definition, but it's also a bit silly to be bothered by it, IMO. :rofl:

MS are suing Barnes and Noble because their android OS is using MS patents. and because Google who licenses the OS doesn't charge the OEM and thus does not protect the OEM against patent suits, instead leaving that for the OEM to deal with on their own. This is just so that Google can claim the OS is free.

meanwhile MS protects anyone who licenses their OS' against patent suits so you have to sue MS, not HTC or Samsung, or whatever. even HP with WebOS which is free, offers patent protection.

Are you sayign MS should just sit idly by when others are using their technology.

the irony is that MS can't win, for years now the FOSS groupies have clamored for MS to take them to court and prove their patents and not just spread FUD. so MS does just that, the sue someone who uses their patents without licensing them. and then the groupies go "boo hoo you're suing poor linux developers who do everything for free"

complaining about this lawsuit makes about as much sense as complaining when GPL sues people/companies breaking the horrible GPL license.

I must say that OP is an unsuccesful and clueless troll

1. The application "Dictionary" is included as a part of Gnome Utils package

2. It's not an Ubuntu related issue, because there are dozens of other distributions which include "gnome-dictionary", heck, even, *BSD has GNOME in its ports.

3. Reporting it to upstream rather than to a specific commercially-backed distribution's bug tracking system, will give you the possibility to discuss this "issue" with the people behind the project not those who just execute some scripts and build a .deb package (see point 1 and the links at the bottom of the page)

I doubt it has anything to do with what op has mentioned in the poll. I take it as humor. I don't think that any of us are that naive, that we will take that definition into consideration. We might have good laugh over it.

Yeah, he's had some big successes while at Microsoft's helm. No denying that. However, it's the big failures that people are looking at. Their failures (so far) in tablets and phones is coming back to haunt them big time.

Microsoft haven't produced any tablets, nor a real tablet oriented version of Windows (yes I am aware a tablet edition of XP exists but it's not really different to XP normal), so i'd hardly say it's haunting them. Granted Windows Mobile has lost a lot of ground, and WP7 is being picked up slowly but it's not really hurting their bottom line all that much at the moment.

Microsoft haven't produced any tablets, nor a real tablet oriented version of Windows (yes I am aware a tablet edition of XP exists but it's not really different to XP normal), so i'd hardly say it's haunting them. Granted Windows Mobile has lost a lot of ground, and WP7 is being picked up slowly but it's not really hurting their bottom line all that much at the moment.

Different Tablet.

the tablet edition of XP is made for Real Tablet PC's, with a proper Wacom, or wacom like, tablet in the screen. the kind artists use to draw and such. Most of these also come in convertible form with a keyboard. W7, will auto convert into tablet edition when you connect a tablet, increase the size of controls and some other adjustments.

• 2 months later...

This is an example of what Linus Torvalds calls "black and white" thinking! I quote him: "This is, just to take an example, one of the reasons I try to avoid talking much about Microsoft - I'm very passionate about Linux (obviously), but quite frankly, I really find the whole notion of Linux as being "against Microsoft" to be silly and wrong-headed." (http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2008/11/black-and-white.html)

Some people (or cult members!) are just simply "trolls"! So, I dont mind them... Let'em troll around!