NoSleep 1.2

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

37991_scr.jpg

It is still a little rough on the edges, but it actually works for me, unlike InsomniaX. InsomniaX used to be a heavily used app for me, but it is no longer supported and has been very sporadic on 10.6.X. This instantly worked for me, although I am having an issue with the preference pane.

I figured I would post it since I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants this feature.

Is this not doable through system preferences? (as an iMac owner I'm unsure)

This software sucks! Completely buggy, even after removing it my MacBook Pro won't physically sleep now! Oh well, never put it to sleep anywho!

I used to use InsomniaX as well, although I started hearing about how using such things can overheat your laptop (the vents are at the back under the screen, and closing the lid seals/covers them apparently) so I stopped. I just deal with the fact that if I want my laptop turned on I have to keep the screen up. Not a big deal most of the time really, since most of the time I want it turned on I need the screen to see! :p

This software sucks! Completely buggy, even after removing it my MacBook Pro won't physically sleep now! Oh well, never put it to sleep anywho!

Damn really? I know it crashes, but it's worked pretty well for the intention I had for it.

The thing is I remember reading somewhere letting your laptop stay awake when closing the lid may actually cause some problems and Apple has some reason for not making it an option.

I don't really remember the details but I think they had some pretty good arguments hence I decided not to do it. Can be pretty handy at times, though.

Is this not doable through system preferences? (as an iMac owner I'm unsure)

No, you can't tell it not to fall asleep when you close the lid, as far as I know.