[AFL] 2011 Season Discussion

6 members have voted

1. 1. The 2011 premiers will be the.....

• Adelaide Crows
    • Brisbane Lions
    • Carlton Blues
    • Collingwood Magpies
    • Essendon Bombers
    • Fremantle Dockers
    • Geelong Cats
    • Gold Coast Suns
    • Hawthorn Hawks
    • Melbourne Demons
    • North Melbourne Kangaroos
    • Port Adelaide Power
    • Richmond Tigers
    • St. Kilda Saints
    • Sydney Swans
    • West Coast Eagles
    • Western Bulldogs

Hey Everyone,

There are sure to be enough Aussies here to keep this alive and perhaps some overseas who enjoy our game. So lets use this topic to discuss what is going on this season.

For those new to aussie footy and wondering what it is you can check out an old thread i made here a few years back now:

AFL - Our own idea of what football should be

To get some discussion going, I'm very glad to see Gold Coast got over the Lions to win their second game, I think if they can win 4 or more games this year it would be a great start for the team. Escaping a wooden spoon would be fantastic. Can't see Greater Western Sydney winning many games next year when they enter the competition though.

Collingwood and Geelong next week should be a big game with both teams undefeated and the game will be live on Channel 7, at least into Melbourne it will. Should be a fantastic game to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there hasn't been a whole lot of interest in this thread but I do love the sport so I'll talk to myself here, haha.

Following up from the first post Geelong defeated Collingwood by 5 points with a controversial goal denied to the magpies in the dying minutes. It seems every week there is continued confusion with the advantage rule, hopefully this will get sorted out as it is not on for umpire confusion to so greatly change the result of games.

This week the big game for many is Gold Coast Suns vs Geelong, or more to the point, Garry versus his old team. While the match up of the two teams doesn't promise for the most spectacular of games, the contest between Garry and his old team mates will make the match worth watching for those not otherwise interested in the matchup.

Last night's Melbourne vs Carlton match was a snoozefest, I felt like I wasted my time watching it. The skills on display particularly in the first half were very average and the game overall lacks excitement unless you are a Carlton fan. Melbourne's season is looking like it is over with just 3 wins from 9 matches. They have been hit hard by injuries so perhaps the second half of the season with players coming back will be more promising.

West Coast have been a surprise this season. After claiming the wooden spoon last year, that is coming in last position, they have won 5 of their 8 games and look set to challenge the reigning premiers, Collingwood, tomorrow at the 'G.

Is anyone taking part in either supercoach or dreamteam? with Sandilands out for the next few weeks I wonder how people are going to cover for him. I've opted for Zac Smith from the Suns. I didn't want to trade Sandilands out and he will be too valuable when he gets back. I wanted to give Dane Swan the flick but was short on cash to get Garry Ablett. I lost to Shane Crawford's team last week in my league, he had a score around 2400 and i have 2330 or so... very unlucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I also love the sport but unfortunately this year has not been the year for my team (Adelaide Crows) as they've played terribly against bottom 8 teams

AFL is by far the best sport in the world.

I'm a West Coast Eagles fan, and am very happy with the way we are going this season. Hoping we finish 4-6 and play finals again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had given up on this thread, great to see some AFL fans here. I should have checked back earlier.

@ Tim - Yeah the Crows are having a shocking year, do you think Neil needs to go? The SA teams aren't looking all that healthy, Port looking particularly bad. Crowd numbers are terrible at their games. Half the ground is covered in sponsor logos to make it look like there are more people attending.

@ Alphanumeric - West Coast have been great this year, especially after a wooden spoon last year. Embley is running around like a 24 year old, Cox is tapping everything to advantage and Jack Darling has been a great find. They will play finals but I think the next couple of weeks will make for a good test with Carlton, Geelong, St. Kilda and Fremantle. Need to win 3 of those at least to be in a chance for top 4.

• 3 weeks later...
@ Tim - Yeah the Crows are having a shocking year, do you think Neil needs to go? The SA teams aren't looking all that healthy, Port looking particularly bad. Crowd numbers are terrible at their games. Half the ground is covered in sponsor logos to make it look like there are more people attending.

Nah I wouldn't say Neil needs to go. His team is half newbies and they need to gain some more experience and skill in the game before you can place the blame back on the coach.

Just a couple of days ago I flew to Adelaide to see the spectacular 7-point wet-weather win over Sydney at AAMI. Terrible turnout but I half expected that because of the poor weather and 6-loss-in-a-row factor. I think once the get back into the game and start winning more their turnouts will improve especially for the team with the third-highest memberships.

Also it's a shame there aren't more Australians here into AFL because it's such a great game. I almost forgot about this thread until just then