SFC /scannow won't run in XP

Son's Dell desktop w/ XP suddenly wouldn't boot into windows. Can boot into safe mode - Windows or safe mode - command prompt.

System Restore (several points) didn't work, nor last know good configuration.

I don't believe sfc will run when in Windows safe mode - either from cmd prompt, or start>run.

Booted into safe mode - command prompt - which is supposed to be just cmd, w/o explorer starting. But sfc /scannow still won't run.

Get error like "WFP could not run the...."

Made sure the sfc.exe file existed in windows\system32 - but no way to know if it's corrupted.

Also tried using runas command from Start > Run, w/ commands to start command prompt in administrator mode. It seemed to accept that command, but sfc still wouldn't run.

So, tried (in safe mode - command prompt) using the "sfc /scanonce". I thought that was supposed to run sfc on restart- it didn't. Error msg was "WFP could not make the requested change." The MS KB here on SFC says the sfc /scanonce is suppose to set the reg key "SfcScan" to value = 2, and gave the full reg key path. "SfcScan" didn't exist in the key, so I added it & set value = 2. AFAIK, nothing ran on restart.

At no time did any attempts to run sfc get to point where it asked for install CD.

Found this in another post here, that you can run sfc from the installation CD, but didn't say exactly how. Maybe they misspoke.

In this case, would he boot to safe mode - cmd prompt, then change to CD drive, and some particular folder on the CD, then run the command?

Maybe they just meant to have the CD ready, or just put it in the CD drive (after boot) - so the disk would be available. But that would require the sfc command to execute from cmd prompt - which we can't get it to do.

Any other suggestions on getting sfc to run - when machine will only boot into safe mode - command prompt?

If there's no way to run it in this circumstance, would a repair install be the next best thing, or are there other (get finished before you die) options/ tools to find the reason Windows won't boot?

Thanks.

To run SFC from the install disc, boot to the cd (hold F12 at boot or change boot order in bios) and click repair and head over to the recovery console.

Also, the exact error you're getting is important...

Thanks for the info. Since I've never used the Recovery Console, does it have an option or list the "sfc" , or does it just provide a command prompt - type window, where certain commands like sfc can be executed from the disk?

Before trying to fight with any other windows tools, I'd recommend running a diagnostic on the RAM and Hard Drive. These sorts of issues don't just magically appear and are always brought on by some hardware related issue or virus infection. If you are the DIY kind of person, Memtest86+ works great for finding defective RAM modules and check with the vendor of the hard drive for an appropriate HDD diagnostic tool. Best to run these things from a boot CD and both tools will be available in a bootable ISO image.

Thanks for replies.

Nub, redvamp128 : Looking at the linked MS KB on XP recov. console avail commands, and 5 or 6 articles listing avail recovery console commands, sfc is NOT listed in any of them. Many answers to the posted question, "can sfc be run from XP recovery console," were all "No, it's not one of the avail. cmds."

We can put the CD in, but I expect the other articles are correct about no sfc from recovery console, unless someone here actually ran it from XP recov. console.

rafter109:

I'd recommend running a diagnostic on the RAM and Hard Drive.

You're right these problems don't magically appear. But not necessarily bad HDD / RAM. I've had similar problems in past yrs where system files just "disappeared" or were corrupted. No reason ever found. No HDD / RAM problems. Most times though, was able to run sfc. I'll run WD's diag. tool & a mem test.

Possibility that even though it boots OK in any of the safe mode options, part of the HDD is bad, where some boot / system files for normal startup are stored, incl. all files / resources needed to run sfc from the HDD. That it boots into any safe mode option shows HDD electronics or read / write functions aren't completely fried. I'd say bad RAM is less likely in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

New problems have developed in troubleshooting this issue. Have had problems getting SOME, but not all, boot disk diagnostic utilities to run correctly.

BTW, did successfully run full AV scan using Kaspersky boot AV scan disk - found nothing. Scan w/ one tool doesn't absolutely rule out malware, but lowers the probability.

On the troubled XP machine, a couple of diag boot disks will run to completion, indicating the CD drive works - at least part of time.

Others, like WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic & Avira Rescue Disk, Memtest86+ will boot, run for a few sec, then black screen. No err msgs.

I tested the Avira disk & Memtest86 boot disks on my newer desktop running Vista & they boot & run fine, so the problem isn't badly burned boot disks.

1) Any ideas why 1 or 2 boot diag disks will run & others can only boot & run for a few sec on XP machine?

2) Suggestions for 3rd party HDD diagnostic boot disk utility we might try if can't get WD's Data Lifeguard to run?

Upgrade to 7. Thats it.

Do you just get kicks out of being a raging ******* in every Windows topic, or do you honestly think you're being helpful?

Anyways, OP, if you're having trouble getting bootable utilities to run, I'd strongly recommend a memory test as originally suggested.

Upgrade to 7. Thats it.

Upgrading to 7 will not magically fix his problems.

Seizure1990, did get memtest86+ to run (obviously, from boot disk) - found no problems. So, some boot disks will run - others won't.

Now looking into reported problems some reported on Western Digital's forum, that Data Lifeguard wouldn't boot / run correctly until they changed BIOS HDD controller type to IDE / EIDE. Some said it then ran, even though comments indicated they didn't have IDE drives.

Aside from trying that, may need to find a 3rd party HDD diag util to run from boot. The OS disk in the XP machine is SATA 1, not EIDE.