Alcatel's Windows 10 Mobile flagship was supposed to launch in the UK on July 26, according to Microsoft, which had opened pre-orders there a couple of weeks earlier. But shortly before the handset was due to be released, the Microsoft Store quietly delayed its launch date.
Now, the IDOL 4 Pro is finally available in the UK, where it's priced at £419.99. The high-end handset was originally unveiled last year as the IDOL 4S with Windows 10, and was released on T-Mobile US for $469.99, which included a virtual reality headset. Following deep price cuts that slashed its cost to just $288, the carrier dropped the device from its range just six months later.
Alcatel announced the IDOL 4 Pro in February, but despite its new name for European markets, it's the same device that it launched in the US eight months ago. Buyers in the UK and elsewhere in Europe won't get the VR headset that was included in the US.
The IDOL 4 Pro's specs are identical to those of the IDOL 4S with Windows 10, including:
- 5.5-inch AMOLED display with Full HD (1920x1080px) resolution and Asahi Dragontrail Glass
- Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB storage (plus microSD card support up to 128GB)
- 21MP rear camera with Sony IMX230 sensor, HDR support, 4K video recording at 30fps, and dual-LED flash
- 8MP front-facing camera with wide angle lens, 1080p video at 30fps, and LED flash
- 4G LTE connectivity
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 4.1
- USB Type-C connector with Quick Charge support
- Windows 10 Mobile Continuum support
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3000mAh battery
- 6.9mm thick
If you're thinking of buying the IDOL 4 Pro, make sure you read our review of the IDOL 4S with Windows 10 before you do so.
Source: Microsoft Store